What did I do wrong 2.0

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Since my last post I changed locations. That was the best advice given and definitely a huge part of my lack of success for 3 years. Turns out Once you’re in the right spot with elk it’s actually fun and engaging.

All of the techniques for locating where elk will be and cutting out 95% of the spots that won’t be for the last few years is finally paying off. Within 48 hours at the new spot I got on three bulls.

The first one I set up on a saddle but instead of the thermals coming up both directions the wind was strongly blowing from one side to the other, so I sat on the Windward side and called down. Immediately a six point bull lit up downwind from me on the other side less than 100 yards away. I thought he was much further because his first response didn’t even sound like an elk. Sounded more like a whistling cat like he was trying to stay quiet. The second response was definitely an elk so I tried to quickly get up and circle around the edge so he didn’t wind me, but he was already in front of my face and ran off in a hurry. That would have been an incredible first one.

The second one was off the side of a draw. I tried slowly working him up and he sounded aggressive but wouldn’t move. We were interrupting each other‘s challenge calls. He was deep in a bowl that was very brushy and there was no chance of me getting down to him. Even doing the slow pay he didn’t want to budge.

The third one was in a draw up and over a finger from me. I once again tried to work him up slowly and he was definitely getting more and more aggressive while moving up and down the draw. It sounded like he was challenging me because he had hot cows to stay back. This one I was actually able to get up and over on the other side but he would not get down to the bottom for me to get a shot off. I think he let out a lip bawl and split, giving one last bugle further away before he went silent

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how the game goes, encounter after encounter before one works out right? The winds are miserable and they always seem to be where I wasn’t expecting them with no way for me to advance without getting winded and/or seen. When a bull is hot and bothered, how do you get him to come the last bit in? I feel like another 25 to 50 yards down to the bottom of the draw and I could’ve taken him. But I couldn’t get down there without being seen for sure.

Videos from guys like Paul Medel where he says this technique works on 95% of the bulls I come across and I can count how many it hasn’t worked on on one hand make me think I’m doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
You got on 3 bulls so your doing something right. Sometimes the wind isn’t in your favor or sometimes it’s better to get the cows and split.

Some people I know just keep doing what your doing until they get that one hot bull that comes charging in.

I am still learning myself but looks like your doing great.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Your in Idaho? Decoy. Did wonders for me. Get a stand for it if your solo
Someone else mentioned doing that and I’ve been considering it. But in all three of those situations I can’t imagine how it would’ve helped me?

I’ll probably get one regardless because I have a spending problem and would rather have it than not. Just wondering how to work it in these situations or any.

Maybe I should just get an elk costume so I can remain mobile haha

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can't really expect to call a bull away from cows at this point. Go quiet and work in on him. Bugling to him just lets him know where to avoid. They are good at avoiding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
You can't really expect to call a bull away from cows at this point. Go quiet and work in on him. Bugling to him just lets him know where to avoid. They are good at avoiding.

You stalk all the way within bow range on bedded elk? What do you mean work in on him quietly?

Wrench

WKR
I've been on the mountain all but 2 days this entire season. I've been busted by the wind more than I can count.

My advice is either stalk and shoot or make the bulls hunt you. Don't be surprised when they cover 100 yards in dense cover in seconds. I called one using Chris Roe's frustrated whine/demanding mew from 75ish yards.....within a minute he was standing on the opposite side of me. Sneaky bastard.

I had the spindliest 5 point I've ever seen come in and bark at me while I was working a herd bull. The herd bull cared zero percent.

Keep at it. They're starting to make mistakes. Don't be afraid to not call at all and just rake trees like your mad at them.

2 days ago I clicked a few buckles on my pack and a bull ran to me.....I was completely unprepared for that.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I've been on the mountain all but 2 days this entire season. I've been busted by the wind more than I can count.

My advice is either stalk and shoot or make the bulls hunt you. Don't be surprised when they cover 100 yards in dense cover in seconds. I called one using Chris Roe's frustrated whine/demanding mew from 75ish yards.....within a minute he was standing on the opposite side of me. Sneaky bastard.

I had the spindliest 5 point I've ever seen come in and bark at me while I was working a herd bull. The herd bull cared zero percent.

Keep at it. They're starting to make mistakes. Don't be afraid to not call at all and just rake trees like your mad at them.

2 days ago I clicked a few buckles on my pack and a bull ran to me.....I was completely unprepared for that.
I cannot even imagine stalking into bow range on these guys in this terrain. If I breathe wrong branches and forest liter are snapping.

HODL

FNG
Think about what you'd be doing if you're another elk. You want him to come to you, he won't. He's likely expecting the other bull to come in. If there's any way to actually get through the thick brush, then making noise shouldn't be an issue when you're approaching. Get the wind good, keep cover between you and him and close the distance.

Congrats on getting into them. I'm suffering the same fate this year. A spot that has historically produced for me is dead and I have 3 days left to get to another zone.

WCB

WKR
Making noise isn't always a bad thing...in fact you stated the one bull was over the top on you and eventually came up and over but not down. When you are going back and forth and you can tell he moved away. Try making your move up the hill...don't worry about noise as he thinks you are an elk already and elk make noise often when traveling.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Making noise isn't always a bad thing...in fact you stated the one bull was over the top on you and eventually came up and over but not down. When you are going back and forth and you can tell he moved away. Try making your move up the hill...don't worry about noise as he thinks you are an elk already and elk make noise often when traveling.
I was up on the side of one narrow draw and he was on the other side. I couldn’t get him to come down to the bottom so I could shoot down. And if I tried to go to the bottom he would have surely seen me, if that’s not what happened

skeptic

FNG
Here is the one trick I have learned that I have had tremendous success with...take a small amount of elk poop and smash it between your armpits. That way your natural body heat will produce a smell that replicates a cow in heat.

Just joking. Personally, I think you may be overthinking it. Elk are an instinct driven animal that primarily seem to trust their nose above all else...sometimes. This being the case I always try to have the wind in my favor. That being said, I have had them come straight in before when they are downwind of me and I just let a bugle rip that sounds like a cross between a piccolo and dying cat. Then I shot it. I have shot around 10 elk or so with my bow and I am not that great of a hunter. What I am however, is persistent. Stay persistent and put yourself where you find elk and weird (and good) stuff will probably eventually happen. Have fun. Remember, this is an animal that has a brain roughly the size small kiwi fruit. Anything can happen.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the one trick I have learned that I have had tremendous success with...take a small amount of elk poop and smash it between your armpits. That way your natural body heat will produce a smell that replicates a cow in heat.

Just joking. Personally, I think you may be overthinking it. Elk are an instinct driven animal that primarily seem to trust their nose above all else...sometimes. This being the case I always try to have the wind in my favor. That being said, I have had them come straight in before when they are downwind of me and I just let a bugle rip that sounds like a cross between a piccolo and dying cat. Then I shot it. I have shot around 10 elk or so with my bow and I am not that great of a hunter. What I am however, is persistent. Stay persistent and put yourself where you find elk and weird (and good) stuff will probably eventually happen. Have fun. Remember, this is an animal that has a brain roughly the size small kiwi fruit. Anything can happen.
Damn that’s heartbreaking. If I hadn’t have tried to close on that first one he may have came right to me even down wind. He was coming in hot.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I cannot even imagine stalking into bow range on these guys in this terrain. If I breathe wrong branches and forest liter are snapping.
Elk make a lot of noise too. These aren't deer. They're expecting to hear noise coming from a spot they just heard elk noises come from.

Elk make a lot of noise too. These aren't deer. They're expecting to hear noise coming from a spot they just heard elk noises come from.

They are noisy. If you have ever been within earshot of a herd, it's incredible how much noise they make.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Well tomorrows the last day and I have no idea where to go. I went back to where I got on those bulls and they look like they haven’t been back since. Another year failed 😣

Well tomorrows the last day and I have no idea where to go. I went back to where I got on those bulls and they look like they haven’t been back since. Another year failed 😣
“You don’t give up looking for bulls after 30 days straight, you get off your ass and find those bulls” or something to that effect. Some years are like that, seems like things come together when you completely have given up.

Read1t48

WKR
The post on persistence is so true. You can’t kill an elk from the house and very few are killed in camp!
Hunt every possible chance you have and multiply the odds in your favor. Every encounter, or not, is a learning opportunity that will pay dividends in the future. Many elk have been killed on the last day, at last light. That’s persistence. You’ll have 11 months to rest or regret if you don’t give it your best. Have fun! The days you learn the most about elk are not usually the days you kill elk. The learning comes when you go from dawn to dark and leave it all on the mountain. Good luck!