What did you do at the range today?

Lawnboi

WKR
This year my goal is to go the the range with a PURPOSE. Gone are the days I send 20 or 40 rounds down range with no plan.

Starting this thread to gather some ideas, and maybe give some. Have a place to share drills you liked and or didn’t and keep me honest with what I’m doing every time I pull the trigger.

Today I worked on some 400 yard smallish target drills, no timer today, just trying to execute good shots. I know in the internet world 1.5moa isn’t a small target, but at 400, with a 3mph rifle shooting 60 tmk it’s enough to make it sporty for me.

52A960BC-061E-417F-A9A7-80D051A4200F.jpeg

Really ready for spring, 100 yards to the 400 yard berm in over the knee snow sucked.2BB47E7C-6E1F-41B8-A326-FBDFBB53E760.jpeg

Last edited:

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great philosophy!

Last year I started focusing on slowing down and having a purpose with my shooting. A routine with each shot.

You can't miss fast enough.

Bigdave

FNG
Classified Approved
I think you’re doing good, I especially like the 6” plate targets.

I personally wouldn’t shooot any distance at an animal that I can not hit an 8” target from consistently.

Don’t know if you’re doing this for hunting, but it would make sense if you are.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I think you’re doing good, I especially like the 6” plate targets.

I personally wouldn’t shooot any distance at an animal that I can not hit an 8” target from consistently.

Don’t know if you’re doing this for hunting, but it would make sense if you are.
Just trying to be a better shooter. I’ll be doing some match oriented drills as well as it warms up and match season starts.

400 yards is all I have access to close by. But trying to make it more realistic. Nothing included a shot timer today but in the past and future that will be getting used a lot more.

Good stuff.

Yesterday's visit was to try out new ammo (Federal Terminal Ascent) for my 308 Win and 30-06. Pretty vanilla: get velocities, re-zero, and check actual elevation clicks versus estimated (StreLok Pro).

Before each hunt, I hit the range for two specific purposes: ensure my rifle is "on" and hammer home my fundamentals. I'll verify that my rifle is on at all allowable distances. I then put the target (image of actual image of animal Im hunting) and use my T1X in 17 HMR. Each shot is very slow and I ensure that I'm doing the entire shot process the same with each and every shot. It gets tedious and boring but I've found that it really helps come "show time".

About once a quarter some of us will hit the range together. The purposes are to work on teamwork (we hunt together as well) and also speed drills. We'll take turns shooting and calling shots from 300-550 yards; occasionally we'll shoot to 1100. We also work on speed drills at those same distances from different rests such as backpacks (horizontal and vertical), tripods (shooting V or Tri-Clawps), bipods, and the occasional wobbly stool. Doing both of these has helped a lot come hunt time.

Do consider picking up a laser trainer for a rifle. Found it to be highly effective on doing timed drills especially when paired with an assortment of targets. Use same "rests" approach as the range and also vary the height off the ground they are. Wife will help and loves to be vague when telling me which target such as the "elk" or the "red" one or the "square" one.

But yes, always have a purpose and supporting plan when you go to the range. Otherwise you're just pissing money away.

Attachments

• ANIMAL.jpeg
    ANIMAL.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 75
  • BEAR.jpeg
    BEAR.jpeg
    739.6 KB · Views: 65
  • NUMBERS.jpeg
    NUMBERS.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 68

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
Dot drills are great print out a target with 1/2” dots or what ever size you want. One shot per dot gets you away from shooting groups. Adjust shooting positions, range, and size of dot to mix it up.

id_jon

WKR
Looks like his site requires a subscription. Iv heard of that drill but have never done it. Post up when you do shoot it.
Subscription is optional, I created the free account. He has a really good podcast too, The Straight Dope.

Edit: I see now that the website homepage changed a bit, used to be able to see/print the baseline targets without signing up.

I hit the range today, plan was to work on positional shooting, at distance. Started with the bench, went to sitting, then off sticks, then standing. Five rounds at each distance. If I missed two consecutive shots at a target, I had to go back to the previous target and finish my remaining rounds, then that position was done.

1st target was a 10” popper at 184yds.
2nd target was a 12” A zone at 230yds.
3rd target was a 12” A zone at 315yds.
4th target was a 10” plate at 412yds.

From the bench, I made all of my shots, except 412, it was hard to see the white target against a background of snow.
The sitting I made one shot at 315.
Sitting with sticks I made 4/5 at 315, no hits at 412.
Standing was 3/5 at 230.

I was using an 11.5” sbr with a red dot.

*zap*

WKR
I shoot mostly handgun and focus on slow fire, crushing grip, locking elbow/wrist. I shoot mostly one handed....

id_jon

WKR
Finally shot my first kraft target yesterday. Confirmed that zero was .2 high afterwards(different load than zerod with). Standing and kneeling, even supported on a tripod need some work. Excited to continue shooting this to track progress.
IMG_20220305_145033724.jpg

id_jon

WKR
100 yards. Next range trip I'm going to shoot it with my AR also, thinking once with tripod support for all positions and then once all unsupported.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Finally shot my first kraft target yesterday. Confirmed that zero was .2 high afterwards(different load than zerod with). Standing and kneeling, even supported on a tripod need some work. Excited to continue shooting this to track progress.

If people shoot this and understand what it means/what it’s for…. 🤯

Fatcamp

WKR
We drove to the range and fired two rounds each. First standing with rifle against a post at 100 yards. Second off the pack at 200. My wife very much outshot me.

We play similar games throughout the year.