What did you do at the range today?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’m still waiting to see some Kraft drills of guys shooting lightweight magnums…..

Got out today, shot a quick Kraft drill, and headed home. Winter is back in WI. Found a solution for standing that didn’t involve hunching over or using my light tripod. Threw in the flush mag to get a more balanced rifle as well and shot off a pint sized game changer git lite bag. No idea on what that low shot was, was the last prone shot, I’d guess an ammo mess up as the shot felt good but it counts regardless.

View attachment 394746View attachment 394745

Are all of these shot off of a tripod, except prone?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Are all of these shot off of a tripod, except prone?
Today I didn’t use the tripod. Prone was a bipod/pint sized.

All other positions were off stuff I had a available and a pint sized git lite, seated off a bench seat, kneeling off a brick retaining wall and standing off a bench stacked on a bench.

Been playing with different ways to get steady lately.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll do it next time I go out.

Titanium action, carbon wrapped barrel, and carbon stock, but once you add scope, mounts, ultra 7, 5-round mag, and Atlas tall CAL, I’m barely under 11 pounds. So maybe not what you’re looking for.

It might be as soon as this weekend, or maybe next week depending on work schedule.
That will do it I think.

I don’t have anything beyond a creedmoor to shoot currently, but I’d be curious how it goes once I get my 3006 scoped.

Quick range trip between night time pig hunts to zero my new Tikka Timberline 6.5CM w/ NF SHV 3-10x42 glass. My wife went with to get some trigger time with her Tikka T3X in 6.5CM also. New rifle zeroed quickly and will get some field time tonight (only shooting out to maybe 100 yds).

1648325597100.png

All 4 positions, shot in 3 rounds. Prone from bipod (just like hunting), sitting from stool (forgot my backpack), kneeling and standing from tripod (just like hunting).

I’ve got some thoughts on why the grouping is so far left, but I need to make another trip to test out my thoughts.
Damn good shooting.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Shot some factory Lapua 223 that I bought for the brass a while ago for cheap. I don’t know if it’s such low pressure or what but it’s not sealing at the neck, spoot all the way down. Did this in summer too. I finally burned through the hundred pieces I had, now I can load it with some 75 eldm. The Lapua stuff shot like crap, 55fmj. Shot a few Kraft drills and did a few drills out to 400. Kraft drills didn’t print pretty but I did try my sand filled gamechanger today, bag weighs almost what the rifle does. Insane the stability difference. Makes me want to try one filled with git lite to see if it’s the extra surface area or just the fact that it’s sand alone. Back to back on the pint sized gamechangers I prefer the git lite even over the lite fill.

Edit: holy crap, did that ammo destroy the inside of my rifle. Figured the chamber at a minimum needed it but the whole action looked like the inside of an AR. I don’t even know if an overnight tumble is going to clean the brass, and my rifle now smells like a semi auto shotgun.
C9B84003-87D6-40FB-9F29-11418FE4AD13.jpeg1F1F5999-8A93-4053-A4E4-F8A4EDEE53B1.jpeg6EEA9AC6-7C19-4CEE-90A2-D5ADF8A3E21C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
People should be shooting this drill every time they go to the range.

Getting better. Bottom right was a group of foulers from the deep clean I had to give the action. Thrown shot was prone. I think Iv got an ammo issue, might be time to play with the load. If it holds 2moa I’ll be happy for sub 300 varmints.
AEFC9D44-DDC6-42D1-994D-82E392877FFD.jpeg

Last edited:

tak

WKR
Good thread, I've been meaning to check out the Kraft drill

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Gathered a bunch of data today. And shot a Kraft drill with my match gun.

This was shot with a one round load work up, 140 eldm at factory length, one shot to make sure 41.5 wasn’t going to cause any problems, followed by loading some to shoot this drill. I think the barrel likes 140 eldm as well. Had a witness to prove it wasn’t shot at 50 yards prone.
8F8CDC84-43D9-421D-95F2-2000F607FCD0.jpeg

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
Still need to work on everything.

Think I took rounds 2 & 3 prone for granted and pulled the trigger. I also am not 100% sure which 2 are in the center so one of em might be another prone shot.

Tracked which hits were which positions with the binos. Probably need to use the spotter next time but I was using the tripod to shoot from.

bSWH5S7h.jpg

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Finally got to shoot over grass yesterday. First match of the year, went in with a goal of 60% of total targets and ended with 65/100.

Timed out a lot, need to work on good execution with a little more speed.

Back to shooting over snow again.

Forgot to take any pictures.

Also my first match using mph gun number to dope wind. It worked great.

id_jon

WKR
Clockwise from top left: standing, kneeling, seated, prone.
Standing is always my biggest challenge, this was with a git-lite bag on top of a sturdy fence post, I think next range trip will be clipped into my stoutest tripod.
IMG_20220410_163428405.jpg

id_jon

WKR
What are you doing with your support hand when shooting standing?
When using a bag on top of a support, I usually have it on top of my scope. You asking made me realize that I almost always clip in to my tripod when dry firing, need to mix up my practice a bit more.

edit to add: I think I am also leaning into the rifle fairly strong when my support is sturdy, leading to low impacts

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
When using a bag on top of a support, I usually have it on top of my scope. You asking made me realize that I almost always clip in to my tripod when dry firing, need to mix up my practice a bit more.

edit to add: I think I am also leaning into the rifle fairly strong when my support is sturdy, leading to low impacts
On the git lite I find myself putting downward pressure on the front scope ring. Needs some weight and or pressure to help it settle. Make sure your not pushing on the bell of your scope, that alone can cause a shift.

Easy check on pressure for your left/right is to release your shooting hand for a second, and check that cheek piece pressure isn’t causing any problems, if the reticle moves lifting your head or releasing your shooting hand there’s your shift. That and being square on the rifle shrunk my wobble significantly when shooting a hunting weight gun.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Git lite small gamechanger and the 223 today. Ignore the 17 cal holes, figuring out where it was going in the 12mph constant headwind. And the group I shot confirming on the right spot before. Gave it a click left.

Played with the my recently released tbac takedown on the 17. Quiet little guy.

I also subscribed to the rifle Kraft deal. 12 bucks is worth it. Allows custom gun profiles and I think it’s supporting something really good. Even bought the t shirt, fill in drinking the koolaid

Came home to a predator trying to get in the chicken run. Got him while he retreated. Bold bastard, jumping at the fence 4 hours from sunset. 60 TMK are explosive!
7D0280A3-567E-4CA0-975D-65DB1B0B184A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Burned in the new Ultra 7. Shot a quick Kraft drill. Next shot will be at a prairie dog or coyote. Ultra 7 is awesome. Pint sized git lite used for a bag for all of it.

82fde6ce-9821-41f0-a548-6b6015d9874e-jpeg.402122

Attachments

• 82FDE6CE-9821-41F0-A548-6B6015D9874E.jpeg
    82FDE6CE-9821-41F0-A548-6B6015D9874E.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 70B3090C-2D53-46F7-B51A-62357107294B.jpeg
    70B3090C-2D53-46F7-B51A-62357107294B.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

id_jon

WKR
I'm thinking I might need to pick up a pint sized game changer, I have the full size right now and I think I would like a smaller package for sure

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm thinking I might need to pick up a pint sized game changer, I have the full size right now and I think I would like a smaller package for sure
The pint sized with git lite is about as heavy as I’d want to carry hunting. I think it’s a bag everyone should have.

I also have a schmedium with sand fill for match use. Thing weighs what my hunting rifles do. I’d be curious to try one of those with git lite too.