What did you do at the range today?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
👍🏼

I wasn’t meaning that I disagree or anything. I was just curious. I wish more hunters would shoot more often and actually practice.
Same. I was the one box a year at the bench guy my whole life. Not confident. Had so much false confidence from just being at the range that I really didn’t know.

Now I shoot enough that I feel like I have a problem.

SouthPaw

WKR
I shot a lot of drills over the past year and found the drill posted in "practice versus gear" thread to be a better test of my typical hunting situations than the kraft drill. I learned a lot about my shooting form and tendencies from kraft, and definitely corrected some habits. But for me after shooting it a bunch times I had it down to ~2moa and it got repetitive. The Form drill, I still struggle on certain parts of it. Time stressor is legit and for hunting it is a very practical drill for realistic practice (for me personally at least).

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Tried out a new-to-me Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev in 7.62x25. HEAVY trigger and tiny sights. Surprisingly, I shot it fairly well considering the trigger and sights. It was a whole lot of fun though. Zero drop at 50 yards. Gonna try it at 100 next time, after I work on the trigger and drift the rear sight as the POI was about 4 inches to the left at 15 yards.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
The time stressor is a real kick in the balls. The last timed phase gets me every time, especially when doing it in full gear (pack, trekking poles, etc.)

Humbling experience.

I shot a lot of drills over the past year and found the drill posted in "practice versus gear" thread to be a better test of my typical hunting situations than the kraft drill. I learned a lot about my shooting form and tendencies from kraft, and definitely corrected some habits. But for me after shooting it a bunch times I had it down to ~2moa and it got repetitive. The Form drill, I still struggle on certain parts of it. Time stressor is legit and for hunting it is a very practical drill for realistic practice (for me personally at least).

I’ve got a hunt coming up next month. I went to the range yesterday and first verified some data, and then worked on building hasty shooting positions with my pack, trekking poles, and a combo of the two 500 yards and in. Felt really good.

I need to get a shot timer. Upon further inspection it’s taking me ~1.5 mins to build my position, get a range, and break a shot.

Attachments

• 737FB5AE-CB6F-480E-B9BA-087530FEB795.jpeg
    737FB5AE-CB6F-480E-B9BA-087530FEB795.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 2FDAB7C1-2E41-4CD4-8437-99613F359282.jpeg
    2FDAB7C1-2E41-4CD4-8437-99613F359282.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 58
  • D74AD11F-C1CE-44D9-A1A6-F6C3CA2ED1EC.jpeg
    D74AD11F-C1CE-44D9-A1A6-F6C3CA2ED1EC.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 892EC9E2-5EA8-41C7-8A07-C66BCD98FB9B.jpeg
    892EC9E2-5EA8-41C7-8A07-C66BCD98FB9B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I get to see a lot of people either new to shooting, new to hunting, or both each year. The hunting rifle drill with a consistent score of 14-16 out of 20 has shown a direct correlation to hunting. That is; when someone is lower than about 15/20 on it, they miss opportunities on animals. When they are 15/20 or higher, all that goes away. That’s across the board from muzzle to 600’ish. This is spot and stalk or still hunting, generally in the west.

Taking someone that’s never shot or hunted and teaching them to group well from those positions, then having them practice the drill under time until they are in the 15 point range, then go and get wind practice, results in them killing anything they want out to 500-600 yards.

We did the same using just the Kraft drill and the Stress Kraft drill, and even when people were consistently at 2 MOA or 3 MOA or under, they still missed lots of opportunities due to time. They hit things fine as long as they have plenty of setup time, but hiking and spooking a deer that runs out to 300’ish yards, pauses and looks back for 10-15 seconds? No. As I was trying to state earlier I have seen quite a few people use the Kraft as “THE” measurement of they practice and skill, and it works pretty well for PRS, but does not work as well for hunting. In that way, the hunting rifle drill works well for hunting, but does not translate as well for PRS.
We do use the Kraft target and drill as grouping practice from sitting unsupported, sitting with the pack or sticks, and prone over the pack. But it’s not “the test”.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I get to see a lot of people either new to shooting, new to hunting, or both each year. The hunting rifle drill with a consistent score of 14-16 out of 20 has shown a direct correlation to hunting. That is; when someone is lower than about 15/20 on it, they miss opportunities on animals. When they are 15/20 or higher, all that goes away. That’s across the board from muzzle to 600’ish. This is spot and stalk or still hunting, generally in the west.

Taking someone that’s never shot or hunted and teaching them to group well from those positions, then having them practice the drill under time until they are in the 15 point range, then go and get wind practice, results in them killing anything they want out to 500-600 yards.

We did the same using just the Kraft drill and the Stress Kraft drill, and even when people were consistently at 2 MOA or 3 MOA or under, they still missed lots of opportunities due to time. They hit things fine as long as they have plenty of setup time, but hiking and spooking a deer that runs out to 300’ish yards, pauses and looks back for 10-15 seconds? No. As I was trying to state earlier I have seen quite a few people use the Kraft as “THE” measurement of they practice and skill, and it works pretty well for PRS, but does not work as well for hunting. In that way, the hunting rifle drill works well for hunting, but does not translate as well for PRS.
We do use the Kraft target and drill as grouping practice from sitting unsupported, sitting with the pack or sticks, and prone over the pack. But it’s not “the test”.
Id agree that the stress Kraft drill is largely focused on current match shooting. Something like your drill is much more applicable to hunting as most do it. I can’t shoot a Kraft with the added stressor of time without pre setup positions. I’m still waiting to see some non times Kraft drill targets from ultra lite magnum rifles on here.

Really your drill exemplifies the need to shoot with what you carry. Building positions quickly, from a non ready state.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ve got a hunt coming up next month. I went to the range yesterday and first verified some data, and then worked on building hasty shooting positions with my pack, trekking poles, and a combo of the two 500 yards and in. Felt really good.

I need to get a shot timer. Upon further inspection it’s taking me ~1.5 mins to build my position, get a range, and break a shot.
Shot timer is a great investment!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Id agree that the stress Kraft drill is largely focused on current match shooting. Something like your drill is much more applicable to hunting as most do it. I can’t shoot a Kraft with the added stressor of time without pre setup positions. I’m still waiting to see some non times Kraft drill targets from ultra lite magnum rifles on here.

Haha. Light weight magnums would be fun to see. No one will do it though. On the hunting rifle drill, the same people drop by about 30-50% hits out of 20 with a 300 magnum.

On the hunting rifle drill, Carl Ross came up with it. I/we shot it a bunch and saw the value, then added taking off the pack under time.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv been pretty anti cleaning up to the last few months. The 223 saga continues. Shot so bad last range session that it was getting shipped off with anew tube. Decided to check round count since last cleaning, I was almost 800 rounds since I had last done any cleaning. So before sending it I decided to give it a thorough cleaning. 3 days of soaking with intermittent patching and brushing with bore tech c4 and eliminator, and it’s back. Went from 2+ inch groups to around an inch. So this is the second gun now that needed serious cleaning from my non cleaning mentality of before. Left is a 6.5 hole from dot drills. After a few more shots to verify, adjust zero and confirm 400 yard dope I packed up the 223.

Shot some dot drills with my match rifle, getting acquainted to the ACC followed by some match oriented timed 400 yard drills. Liking the ACC a lot.

Also I’ll never go 1400 rounds without cleaning my brake again. There was more carbon in the baffles than metal.
A9268ED6-CDA3-433F-940F-F6489385830F.jpegD8EEFBB8-52C5-43E8-915E-F6CC954BF25A.jpeg

there definitely seems to be some barrel to barrel variation in the sensitivity to fouling. I've known one rifle that would only shoot well when clean, and have others that go many hundreds of rounds with no accuracy degredation. Glad to see that cleaning tightened your groups back up this time.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
there definitely seems to be some barrel to barrel variation in the sensitivity to fouling. I've known one rifle that would only shoot well when clean, and have others that go many hundreds of rounds with no accuracy degredation. Glad to see that cleaning tightened your groups back up this time.

Somewhere someone has a barrel that is finicky about cleaning like Lawnboi’s, but in hundreds of quality rifles/barrels I haven’t seen it. Some Ruger/Remingtons/savages/etc. that didn’t shoot well dirty, but those guns never shot well any ways.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
A 7mm Remington Magnum still counts as a magnum, right? LOL

Kraft drill with my primary hunting rifle (7RM) and some new ammo to establish zero. Rushed my second standing shot 🤦🏻‍♂️
Shot numbers are not in order.
View attachment 458783

I’m calling that zero good enough for who it’s for.
Your the only one.

I’m going to shoot one with the 3006 in a few weeks. Putting all my free time into my match gun till next weekend for the last match till 2023 for me.

tak

WKR
shot two Kraft drills and a Form drill.
I was out of printed targets, and didn't get a chance to print more before I took off for the range.

6.5 CM on left, and 280AI on right. New ammo on the 6.5, so adjusted zero after. All 3 standing shots were high with the 280. I don't think it's a pattern, just less settled on those and all 3 were coincidentally high, but I'll keep an eye on that. Brought my zero down a tenth for now. It's a heck of a way to get a confident zero.

Form drill was a "200 yard steel drill"
Also because I didn't print the paper, and I have some steel that lines up well.
12" 10" 6" 4" round steel plates at 200.
I shot a 13. Sailed a couple off hand shots, lost another two due to time. And missed a couple others.

Humbling, but I'll take it for my first Form drill, and third? Kraft drill.

a45b4bc870f275f478702b6c8044ee34.jpg

ca5667c923dbf7404dfa402025b22d87.jpg

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Data gather and zero confirmation before the last match of the year for me.

Need more Berger 144s

3F18CE3C-9E74-4590-98C5-ED527C9F2A9B.jpeg21412E39-1435-4257-99E0-4B670933CD0E.jpegEEB82CDE-0BC2-4DC3-8753-3DD09405D15E.jpeg

Last edited:

id_jon

WKR
IMG_20221126_110531789.jpg

First live fire in almost a month. T3x in a krg bravo with a SWFA 3-15, I can recall at least one fall that left my arm sore/bruised for about two weeks shortly after I shot my elk, seems to have held zero just fine!

Need to work on my seated shooting, the two shots on the left felt really bad in the moment.

id_jon

WKR
Bought a T3 in 300wsm for the action, came with 20 rounds of ammo and a cheap vortex already mounted, so I figured I'd give the kraft challenge a shot with a 7.25lb magnum. Shot 3 positions, 4 rounds each. Standing with git-lite gamechanger on tripod, low kneeling same bag tripod, and low kneeling with tripod rear.

After getting used to a vertical grip on the t3x stocks and KRG bravos, a regular oldschool grip feels downright terrible.
I noticed I was getting some vertical wobble anyway, I think due to the lite fill bag as well as a rifle that's about 3lbs less than I'm used to, anticipating recoil in combination with this lead to most shots being low.
I video'd myself, and I definitely blink when shooting this setup. I video'd myself last range trip shooting my supressed 22CM and I do not blink shooting that.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2023-02-24 15_17_04.992554.png.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-02-24 15_17_04.992554.png.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20230224_145522820.jpg
    IMG_20230224_145522820.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230224_150922199.jpg
    IMG_20230224_150922199.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 43

TX_Diver

WKR
Bought a T3 in 300wsm for the action, came with 20 rounds of ammo and a cheap vortex already mounted, so I figured I'd give the kraft challenge a shot with a 7.25lb magnum. Shot 3 positions, 4 rounds each. Standing with git-lite gamechanger on tripod, low kneeling same bag tripod, and low kneeling with tripod rear.

After getting used to a vertical grip on the t3x stocks and KRG bravos, a regular oldschool grip feels downright terrible.
I noticed I was getting some vertical wobble anyway, I think due to the lite fill bag as well as a rifle that's about 3lbs less than I'm used to, anticipating recoil in combination with this lead to most shots being low.
I video'd myself, and I definitely blink when shooting this setup. I video'd myself last range trip shooting my supressed 22CM and I do not blink shooting that.

I haven't shot a craft w/ multiple guns yet to compare. How does the 300wsm kraft number compare to your typical kraft number?