What did you do today to get ready for archery season?

Fatcamp

WKR
Six and a half months until opening weekend, not that I'm keeping track.

I've got a lot going on, but today I dug out four arrows to use for practice in the basement and shot a quarter size group. I have been on hiatus giving my shoulders a break. Gonna have to ease back in I think.

I know I'm not the only one around here with plans for the season.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Six and a half months until opening weekend, not that I'm keeping track.

I've got a lot going on, but today I dug out four arrows to use for practice in the basement and shot a quarter size group. I have been on hiatus giving my shoulders a break. Gonna have to ease back in I think.

I know I'm not the only one around here with plans for the season.
I've been doing alot of bike riding, that really seems to help me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Same here. Havent shot in 2 months. I did arrow 2 whitetails last season.
Shot 5 arrows today. 29 with a 10mph. I was cold by arrow five and said F this. It was ok. 6"ish group at 50 yards.
Finishing setup on a traverse that I bought a couple months ago.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I won’t pick my bow back up until about September, maybe, August. Most years I start practicing about couple of weeks before the season in October.

I use this time of year to do my woods work for next deer season and to test handloads for my rifles.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, it's -10 here. No way I going outside. Ten yards in the basement is what I've got.

I have been shooting around 250 arrows a week. Today is a day off. My shoulders aren't what they used to be.

I checked camera's, that's probably the most I did for hunting this fall today. So far only one of the 5 bucks I'm watching has dropped antlers. So keep waiting to look for sheds.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
I got a delivery of 125 grain 3blade cutthroats 2 packages that I was able to sharpen up this morning.

I picked up a new bow with a new arrow set up about a month ago so next step is broadhead tuning for this change in equipment.

Loughgear

FNG
Just got bow restrung, shot few in basement -40c here so outdoors is outta the question, on bright side it’s only 2.5 months till spring bear

Pezboat

WKR
I decided this is the year I finally venture out west for a mountain hunt. I’ve done SD mule deer. Insanely fun. Very difficult terrain. But the elevation of a mountain hunt scares me. So for the first time in my adult life, I started running. Joined a beginning runners program and do that daily. I’m a little shocked that I actually enjoy it.

Sell33

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered a new release. I am going to try out a thumb release as I get back i to archery. I have only ever shot an index finger tru ball before. Entirely new setup in the last few weeks so may as well try the release change too

i un-tuned my bow today:rolleyes: got a new string for my recurve, and i went from perfect bare shaft flight at 27yds, shooting a lot of arrows, excited about a new arrow build to dropping my brace height 3/4" and cutting 2" off of the arrow, still showing weak until dropping to too light of weight..... so, of course i now have my old string back on, ordered a different string, and laughing at my butchered arrow in the name of going against the grain, and not just accepting the facts.

i don't know how there could be so much difference just changing strings, but all i can figure is the center serving on the new string is power grip, my old string is served with halo, and i think i come off the string a lot different with the power grip, it feels a lot grabbier, that halo is good stuff for trad bows getting a clean release.

shooting my recurve every day, even if it's a few 12 yd bare shaft shots in my headlights after work, and shooting my compound almost every day. building a much lighter arrow for my recurve, which is proving fruitful in my shooting. my mind likes the trajectory a lot more, it was like an instant significant improvement in shooting.... was shooting a 660gr arrow, now i'll be around 520-530gr arrow.... i'm liking it.

i don't go many days throughout the year that i don't do something in preparation for the upcoming year's hunts.

Zac

WKR
I cut a half inch off a bear shaft to get rid of a left tear. Worked really nice. I only have a small left tear at 21 feet so I will add fletchings until it is a perfect hole.

Rob5589

WKR
Yesterday dropped draw wt to 65 from 69lbs; did some rest set up and tuning; replaced d-loop; re-tied peep. Recently went back to a wrist/index release (Stan Xtinction 2). Just can't get 100% comfortable with a handheld thumb.

dkime

WKR
Worked and worked some more, happy wife and a solid reserve of cash in the bank account have made my hunting seasons far easier once I learned that lesson the hard way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk