What did you do today to get ready for archery season?

What kind of arrow do you use for that?
@Fatcamp the best arrows I’ve found for that have been day six arrows. It’s usually what I use. I just fletched up a dozen black eagle insticts (micro trad shaft heavier GPP) and they seem to be pretty decent, but the day six are definitely more durable and stay straight even after the pounding I put them through. Both have a collar, which is nice for saving the front of the Shaft from almost zero penetration shots. 180 FPS with a recurve is different than 270 with a compound though. Might be a little tougher on equipment. Just pick softer targets I suppose. I just use judo points. You can get soft rubber points too. The judos are nice because they catch the grass well.

i should say, there are a lot of people who have done this longer than me and have more experience though. I have tortured a lot of arrows the last couple years going into traditional.

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
What I did today

Attachments

• 93A7648E-E686-4BCB-AE19-8604C8F7D9BA.jpeg
    93A7648E-E686-4BCB-AE19-8604C8F7D9BA.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 36
Shot about 100 arrows today, plus working out. One thing that helps me when I can get to the range or it’s cold out is “blank bale shooting,” shoot 5-10 yards with your eyes closed just practicing on a clean break of the release. Lots of e-scouting and putting in for tags for the upcoming season, can’t wait!

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Shooting and adjusting my sight. I think shooting in my 3rd axis is where I am headed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sent one of my Spot Hogg heads in for a pin change, built a few test arrows, and shot a few arrows for the first time since October. Now it's March and the wind is here, so my serious shooting won't be until later. I "didn't" put my NM elk application in........first time in several years.

I sent one of my Spot Hogg heads in for a pin change, built a few test arrows, and shot a few arrows for the first time since October. Now it's March and the wind is here, so my serious shooting won't be until later. I "didn't" put my NM elk application in........first time in several years.
What does Spot Hogg charge for that? I’ve got an older Hogg it hunter that the pins are pretty dim on.

lukemcd44

FNG
Six and a half months until opening weekend, not that I'm keeping track.

I've got a lot going on, but today I dug out four arrows to use for practice in the basement and shot a quarter size group. I have been on hiatus giving my shoulders a break. Gonna have to ease back in I think.

I know I'm not the only one around here with plans for the season.
Same here. I try to shoot at least once or twice every other week.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Put this together all scrap. I’m not a carpenter.Slapped a coat of paint on it.
Uprights came from a shipment at my co’s shop. Saw this right away. Freehanging 1/2” mats I had from my gym for deadlifts. I’ll just use plywood now.
Arrow removal from mat takes a pretty stout tug even with the lube.Tested 450 g arrow 55# at 25 yd stops at about 2-3” thru. Made that feed bag with plastic and clothes a month ago works great.Old foam target down below.0D7D4081-B82A-4A2C-A333-37234E3CDC92.jpeg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What does Spot Hogg charge for that? I’ve got an older Hogg it hunter that the pins are pretty dim on.
$20. If yours is old enough you can upgrade to the bulletproof pins as well for the same price. Good deal. On one of my other sights the 70 yard pin broke a couple years ago, so had them replace them all. On this one, the bottom three pins are .010" and I can't see them anymore very well so having them put in .019's.

mwill28

Lil-Rokslider
Almost finished my online hunter ed course. One step at a time!

Also, broke my peep tube 😬

Rob5589

WKR
More form work in the garage, remounted and leveled the sight.
Been shooting both eyes open, can't believe I've been squinting for nearly 4 decades.

Ordered some bloodline vec99 strings for my Ventum 33. We will see how it holds up to the more traditional materials.

CFFA5F4B-1B61-4125-A40E-014A3E441DF9.jpeg
Got within bow range of some deer and practiced drawing (no bow) when they weren’t looking. Then I drew when they were looking to see how they reacted.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Life is distracting. Make sure to shoot on days I don't work, and make my first shot at my maximum distance. That is not 60 yards. Yet.

ZDR

WKR
2 hrs at the local indoor range working on form. Was well worth it.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Shot in horrendous conditions today at 50 yards. Pretty happy overall. Most important was my very first shot at 50 in a strong variable wind was in the kill zone. I'll take it.

Found the weak spot of shooting both eyes open. When the wind is howling and blowing sleet it is really tough to keep pins straight with BEO. Might just stick with one eye open.