What did you learn this elk season?

Marble

WKR
I learned to not care how many hunters there are when guys are backpacking. 90% dont leave the trail and when they do they still dont go as far as I will.

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
Why did you leave the lower leg bone and hoof on? Just curious as I’ve seen other people do this also on elk and never understood why somebody would do that.
Well we were told it helps for loading on the float plane, needless to say the next 2 moose were cut off at the lower knee!

Make sure you look up, yourself, the correct code for the elk hunt you are applying for. Then make sure you enter it correctly. Your excitement sure changes when you realize your hunt code was incorrectly entered and the awesome unit you thought you just got drawn for is not so awesome a unit! Although they are great people, I do not want to make a habit of donating quite that much money every year to New Mexico Department of Game & Fish.

Find a new spot! Everyone seemed to have found mine last year.

Have a partner willing to move to break camp and move to a new spot if the elk are not there. If the elk are not there, enjoy the fresh air, the mountains, the experience and the scenery. We are so blessed to live in this awesome land of the free!

Don't hunt Elk during a full moon if you can help it. First time in 20 yrs I went a week without seeing a legal bull. It was Oct early rifle during a full moon...….

And don't book with Dave Mathews in New Mexico unless he agrees to guide you. Otherwise you will find yourself a 2nd tier client to whatever client he is guiding.

Last edited: