what distance do you feel comfortable with blackhorn?

jlink83

FNG
I'm curious at what ranges people are comfortable taking their shot with a standard muzzle loader using blackhorn209?
To preface this I have been shooting blackhorn out of my encore and in recent years a 700ml. When i first started shooting blackhorn I was amazed I was able to shoot constantly out to 150-175 yards. My longest shot with my encore was 236 yards with alot of Kentucky windage. But that is the only attempted shot I have taken. The world of smokeless keeps whispering come on it'll be fun. When or what made you guys jump from blackpoweder to smokeless? All of my hunting is for whitetail deer in Va.

Knight UL 45, shooting 275 Arrowhead XLD. 300 yards with the current open sights,likely 400 after I get a proper front sight made. I'm sure I can squeeze 600 out of it with a scope.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

eltaco

WKR
Blackhorn probably won’t be the limiting factor to your question here… it’s going to come down to how accurate your rifle can group and how well you can visually discern the target. I’ve shot sub-MOA with my Knight out to 300yds, but didn’t get to shooting any further. I’m 100% confident at that distance with open sights and a good rest, but I’m sure the load is plenty capable of going longer than my vision can keep up to.

I'm curious at what ranges people are comfortable taking their shot with a standard muzzle loader using blackhorn209?
To preface this I have been shooting blackhorn out of my encore and in recent years a 700ml. When i first started shooting blackhorn I was amazed I was able to shoot constantly out to 150-175 yards. My longest shot with my encore was 236 yards with alot of Kentucky windage. But that is the only attempted shot I have taken. The world of smokeless keeps whispering come on it'll be fun. When or what made you guys jump from blackpoweder to smokeless? All of my hunting is for whitetail deer in Va.
As far as the bullet is still traveling fast enough to so its job. The powder itself doesn't have a range limit on it. A measured amount of powder with a certain size bullet with a certain BC does have a range limit.

OXN939

WKR
All of my hunting is for whitetail deer in Va.

This will be my 8th year hunting blackpowder season for whitetail in VA. I've never taken a shot longer than 85 yards, and would never shoot farther than 150. Not many spots that are good that time of year require long distance shooting, anyway.

OP
J

jlink83

FNG
Well most of my hunting in done in crop fields or cow pasture about 12 years ago my buddy and I helplessly threw 3 shots each at a wall hanger buck that was just over 200 yards away. Since that day our motto has been if we can see him we want to be able to take a shot at them. Woods hunting is completely different animal when it comes to distance. But in the last 5 seasons most of my shots have been 120+ yards.

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Triumph with a Zeiss scope and adjustable turret on top. Shoot 295 grain bullets and 115gr of BH209. Have data, from shooting every 25 yds out to 425yds, where turret runs out. Laser, turn turret, hold and shoot.

Muzzleloaders are finicky and it takes alot of homework, shooting groups, to find out the load your gun likes. Shoot 3 shot groups off a good rest and adjust your powder 5 grains up at a time per 3 shots. You will see the group tighten and or loosen up. The tightest group is the one your gun likes.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
You can look at ballistic tables all day long and postulate what it can/can’t do. It’s the practice at the actual distance that gets you there.