What do I look for in a cot and thin mattress?

Not for backpacking, just car camping. Something wide enough for bigger people? Priorities are durability, stability and with feet that won't damage a tent floor. Weight doesn't matter, comfort does. Definitely want
mats made specifically for cots, won't use my inflatable mattresses. So...what should I know before buying? Thanks.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a pretty wide dude and I use a Cabelas cot and an air mattress. I can't see why it would not work for you. If thats not good enough take a foam pad. If thats not good enough, rent a hotel room.

oldgoat

WKR

elkduds

WKR
Whichever you choose, set one up @ home before the trip. Some stretch so tight they can be frustrating and bite fingers (military style cots). My Coleman has an extra few inches of tube on the end pieces for more leverage. I sit down @ one end, put feet against the crossed legs of the frame, and pull on the longer side of the end piece to get it assembled.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use an oversized 84"x40" cot with "multiple" layers of foam, including a closed cell foam layer, 3" memory foam, and multiple egg shell foam layers. I sleep better in base camp than I do at home. Most would laugh or shake their head if they saw it, but it's fantastic. That's one reason why I refer to my wall tent accommodations as the Ritz Canvas.

For my girls, they use a memory foam layer and some egg shell foam layers on more normal sized cots. I'd never use an air mattress on the cot.......way uncomfortable.

264win

WKR
Most of the guys at our hunting camps ( wall tent ) use the cabelas cots. I think any of the cost rated for 300 lb or more are plenty stout for most people..If you are a big guy buy the 400 lb version. For mats we all just buy memory foam mattress toppers and cut them to fit.

Bughalli

WKR
I've tried a few. I often sleep on my stomach, so most cots aren't comfortable to me because they have cross bars at the head and feet. That means the cot slopes up at the head and feet, like sleeping in a hammock, making it uncomfortable for stomach sleeping. I love the Camp Time's roll-a-cot. No cross bars and very comfortable. I sleep as good as my bed at home. I would go the wide version, just to have more room. They have a long version as well, but I like letting my feet hang off the end when sleeping on my stomach. No mattress is really needed in warm weather. In colder weather you will want a mattress with a good R value. Cots in general run cold because of the airflow below you. In cold weather don't just assume what worked on the ground will keep you warm in a cot. They are rated to 300 or 400 lbs. I've had mine going on 10 years and very happy with it.

REI offers them via their website. Wait for a 20% off coupon and save a few bucks.

elkduds

WKR
Drink coasters will keep the feet from cutting tent floor. Space under cot is great storage, better if you have a box or duffle that fits under.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Cots arrived and even my wife was comfortable and she hates anything related to camping. The springs and mattress combine to make this VERY DIFFERENT from military style cots that are more rigid with a firmer feel. This cot adjusts to your weight and is much more like a bed, just as they claim. Highly pleased with this choice.

[video=youtube;-WoaOmi7gz8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WoaOmi7gz8[/video]

WKR
Anyone ever try World Outdoor Products cot?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk