what do I need?

sbrville

FNG
Planning first western hunt, Will probably be hunting elk OTC Colorado. Might backpack camp or truck camp and hunt. Where do I start on a bag? Im watching the classifieds on here but there are so many choices. Im from Indiana so I basically have no gear for a western hunt other than rifle/bow and a knife. That said I need the basics on everything from tent, sleep system, pack, etc. just so I can afford it. Want to start out as cheap as I can and work my way up buy don't want to start out so cheap that its a failure. for the money, looks like a used mystery ranch or something? cheaper option just as good? is the pack where I need to spend the money? Thanks. SB

lkwoolsey

WKR
I'd go with cheaper clothing, ie, find some backpacking clothing. To this day, I tend to use backpacking and mountaineering clothing rather than "hunting" clothing. It's honestly basically the same, just camo or not. I've never had an issue with my blue raincoat or weird teal/ green colored tent.
That said, a pack is where you want to spend some money. Elk are heavy, and Colorado can be rugged. Good boots (backpacking boots, something with good ankle support) and a dedicated hunting pack. I've used backpacking packs, like gregory, north face, etc, but they are meant for lighter loads, even premium expedition packs like the gregory denali pro. I'd go with a tried and true hunting pack, like Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, etc. I run kifaru and I will never go back. It goes with me on hunts, backpacking trips, and even deployments. It can haul stupid amounts of weight. Never had any issues with it, and the companies above all stand by their product and have excellent customer service. Just my .2

Rob5589

WKR
I prioritize it this way: Boots, pack, sleep system. You can't hunt with worn out feet; can't carry a load with an uncomfortable pack; can't hunt hard on little or poor sleep. I use and dig my Exo pack. There are other good ones as well.

sram9102

WKR
Where are you from in IN. There are a decent number of Hoosiers on here that may let you try a pack or two on with some weight in it if you have someone close by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You have many months to acquire all this gear. Keep a close eye on the classified many times per day if possible. You can get top of the line gear at a greatly discounted price. Just in the past 1-2 weeks there have been some smokin good deals on Kifaru frames and packs.

As said above, boots, pack, sleep system......in that order. On the boots, find the closest REI and take a trip there. Try on every brand of boot they have. Don’t get your mind set on any one brand/pair before hand. Let your foot tell you what it likes. I’m a Lowa fan that is currently giving Crispi a try. Lowa boots just fit me well and I’ve never had any blisters from them. Find what you like at REI, then get online and see if you can find a better deal somewhere else.

On sleeping bags, for a good budget option, take a look at Wiggys. For a pad, find a good deal on a Thermarest.

Welcome. Lots of options. Spending more isn’t necessary but you will get comfort and some nice features the higher you go up to a point. Here are a few options.

$35 used ALICE pack would work. $40 in padding upgrades can make this more comfortable and it can go on a $100 used mystery ranch nice frame for a serous hauler.
$150 FILBE is better and can be paired with a $100 MR nice frame for a hell of a rig.
$250 used backpacking pack like a Dana designs will be more comfortable and works fine
$350 gets you a 2019 mystery ranch pack or something used or on sale and probably 20 years of very comfortable hauling.
$500 plus is top shelf packs.

Fatcamp

WKR
Priority should be tag, gas, and free time. Write out a budget of what you can afford and then work backwards from that number. All the fancy gear in the world does you no good if you can't make the trip due to finances.

OP
S

sbrville

FNG
thanks for all the info. good points. Im starting with no real gear so needed to know where to start. a good pack seems pretty important for obvious reasons. makes since that good boots and a somewhat comfortable way to sleep would A) make it all more enjoyable and B) equate to hunting farther and longer. thanks.

gldenhwk

FNG
+1 for the hiking clothing over camo .. as nice as KUIU, Stika, and all the other hunting brands are, almost everything they make was already made for hikers several years prior. I personally hunt in the Prana stretch Zion hiking pants, an OR Foray Jacket (coyote and green color), ice breaker base layer, and OR down mid layers in neutral colors .. camo is more for the hunter then the prey in my opinion ..