What do you carry Day to day while hunting?

I put together a list of things i want with me while out hunting for the day.

Spotting scope*
Tripod
Binos
Gun
Water filter
Camel pack
Emg. Gear
Knife*
Contractor bags
Game bags
Camera
gps
Head lamp
Extra bullets
Elk calls
1-meal replacement bar
1-cliff bar
2-gu. packets

What do you carry for the day out? And do you use your expedition pack while out hunting for the day?

slvrslngr

WKR
My list is pretty much the same as your's with a few additions:

30' cord
flagging tape
lighter/matches/flint and steel

The terrain I'm in determines whether or not the scope and tripod ride along. My gear all goes into a Bison Gear pack unless I'm backpacking in, then I just use the lid of my main pack when out and about from camp.

swat8888

WKR
I typically bring my sleeping bag, and always bring my poncho tarp with me in case I end up spending the night on the mountain. Keep in mind this is generally for sheep hunting where the days are long. I'd spend alot less nights on the mountain if darkness was 8-10 hours or longer.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our day trip gear always includes full rain gear and puffy gear, as well as an emergency shelter of some sort. Up here, weather can change at a moments notice and staying warm and dry can be essential to staying alive and being able to keep hunting once the weather passes thru.we Also often bring the stove along, if we have to spend an unplanned night on the mountain it's nice at the very least to have hot water to drink, or hot cocoa, cider or coffee.

From now on I am likely taking twice as many snacks as I think we will need, and at least one of the higher calorie mountain house meals (Mac and cheese has more than 900 cal per bag!). On our recent sheep trip, a day trip quickly turned into three unplanned nights in our bivy shelter while packing the sheep back to the airstrip. We cooked sheep over the campfire to eat, but ran out of all the other food we brought for our "day trip". Extra snacks don't weigh a lot, and really help keep the energy up when you are packing heavy loads.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I carry everything you do minus the elk calls and water filter but I do carry these additional items; a lighter, stove, pot, ramen, rain gear, beanie, gloves, and puffy jacket.

mtnkid85

WKR
For day hunts when Im "one day out". I go with a 20-30l pack with the following.

Always:
TP
paracord
Multiple methods to start fire (lighter, magnesium stick, fireballs ect)
minimal firstaid kit
compass
headlamp & extra battery
flagging tape
electrical tape
Days worth of misc food, usually including a lunch
atleast 1L water, maybe a thermos of coffee ect
medium sized knife
calls
extra ammo

Sometimes:

Extra socks