What do you carry in that backpack??

WCB

WKR
I can tell alot of you don't go in before dark and come out after dark doing all day sits and/or walking a few miles. Sure you can get by walking 200 yards from your side by side to your stand for your evening sit with your fanny pack and snack. Try walking in miles before dark and staying till after dark in the mountains using your pack of crackers stowed away in your fanny pack lol

I dont carry a huge pack, but I do have food, extra layers of clothes, water, and a kill it for boning out deer to pack out. I have carried my jetboil before when I wanted to have a warm cup of soup, I considered that a luxury lol
I don't think the OPs question was exactly why have a backpack. I think it was more why do guys day packs look like they are going on an expedition.

hjyeatts

FNG
I see so many of these hunters on T.V. carrying a backpack while hunting whitetails and I can't figure out what all they need to make it through the day that they would have to have a backpack to carry it in. I always have an extra release,flashlight,grunt call,can call, gutting knife,gloves and facemask,limb saw, rangefinder and all of that fits into a 7 pocket fannypack. So I'm wondering if you guys wear a fannypack or backpack? And if you wear a backpack what all is in it?
Right now i’m running a MR pop up 28 and have a my Sony a6500, two lenses, mic, extra batteries, camera arm, head lamp, kill kit, med kit, grunt call, rattling antlers, and power bank. Plus saddle platform and sticks. I still have some extra room in the bag.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the OPs question was exactly why have a backpack. I think it was more why do guys day packs look like they are going on an expedition.
you may very well be right, sometimes thats the downfall of internet and social media, I thought he meant a very different thing like almost making fun of people who carry packs while whitetail hunting etc.

I need water and food to stay comfy. I basically pack a picnic - that's just me. I also like a bag to hold my clothes I'll put on once I get to my spot/take off before hiking to help with temp regulation (not sweating my ass off). I do carry a small little pouch of random items I can put in my bag or a cargo pocket. But a small backpack is a must for me. Just to easy and versatile not to carry it.

Now that camp fire stories part 2 is out from Steve-o, I imagine more people will be carrying a very large trauma kit that'll take up half their pack. I do find a bandaid or two is nice to have as I slice a finger on a bur or something.

McNadler

FNG
I’ve just recently started carrying a pack on some whitetail sits. Definitely appreciate the ease of packing in extra layers this way and honestly found it nice not having my pockets stuffed with every flash light, knife, tool I’d need for the night. Plus it’s a good spot to keep some snacks.

Elkbelch

FNG
I like having all my gear in one place, I just grab and go. Kind of like my truck, if I drive, I got it with me if I rode with a buddy you can bet I forgot something. A pack is also handy to pack in extra propane bottles to the box blinds as it gets colder

Most of the time I carry a pack as I’m going to need one to haul game out, so might as well have it with me.

Usually just carry my bino harness and have my gear in that and pockets. I do carry a backpack if im hunting out of a saddle to carry all of my equipment. I also carry a backpack if I have a long walk and its cold. I wear minimal layers for the walk in and carry my insulated layers in the pack to put on at the stand. I dont like fanny packs or packs with a bunch of zippers because the zippers are loud. If I need the gear, Id rather carry a pack and just throw everything I need access to in the big compartment so I only have to unzip one zipper.

Also, considering you are watching videos, they are probably filming the walk in with a go pro and are carrying the big camera/camera arm in a backpack. Along with spare batteries etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
If im hunting my house or say my parents place I'm just taking the essentials which usually fit in a pocket being that i'm less than a mile from the house. But if i'm hunting a big tract of public land or national forest I use a pack and put everything i need in it to make it all day. Be it food. clothing. rain gear etc. Usually the deeper ya go the better the hunting is so if i'm walking a couple miles or whatever I ain't coming back for lunch.

If I'm hunting close or only a couple hours. I put a pouch on my locking thay will hold some water, snack and a light and thermacell. It has two bungee loops to put a jacket in and I'm good for 4-5 hrs. If I'm sitting all day I'm bring more food and water and a frame pack because I'm probably a mile+ in and not coming out until dark

EdP

WKR
I try to spend 5 days at a backcountry camp in the mtns here during rifle season - early to mid Nov. Temps can be from mid teens in the morning to 65F in the afternoon. I have backpacked in and don't carry any weight I don't have to. That means my backpack is my daypack too. I leave camp an hour before dawn most mornings and don't return until an hour after sunset on many evenings, and I may kill a deer during the day. I spend some time still hunting and some of it sitting and watching on stand. What would you take with you under those conditions?

Jumpman

FNG
Certainly dependent on weather. However, in SD my staples of things I carry (I try not to use a back pack, I like a neon orange waist pack): flash light, bottle of water, arrow repair items (or shells for rifle season), tag, hand warmers, cliff bar(s), and a sucker! Just really depends what I’m doing but if I’m moving even a fair amount, that’s my go to. If I’m sitting for the majority of the day, I’ll add maybe an extra clothing item, Spotting scope, and if I’m feeling real feisty, a jet boil for the long days where I need that warm drink.

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
clothing layers for me. The gear I carry would fit in a small pack or stuffed in pockets, which is what I do early season if I’m not carrying a tree stand or saddle. but for an all day sit a mile or so in once the temps start to drop i need extra layers.

BradD20

FNG
Water and light snacks, extra headlamp, baby wipes, knife, extra knife, folding saw, first aid kit, extra release if archery hunting, extra ammo if gun hunting, some screw in steps, paracord, and a extra carabiner usually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk