What do you do for exercising when you are getting ready for a hunt?

IDShane

WKR
Hello,
I am fairly new to Rokslide and also to exercising. So far all I have been doing is riding a airdyne bike every other night and sit ups and push ups the opposite night. I have a few hunts this year but neither of them are going to be very strenuous. I still want to continue to get into shape so far I went from 213 to 195 in 4 months. I am just asking what you would recommend for getting into shape and maybe getting a bit stronger and making that leap into mountain shape that much easier. I am 48 years old so I want to make sure to avoid injuries too. Thank you in advance for your input.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I like to do a mix of cardio and strength training, with a big focus on single leg work. This summer I've been doing a mix of MtnTough Heavy Pack 2.0 workouts and strength training with weights. It's been awesome. I just turned 56 a couple days ago. I workout every day with my 25 year old son who is a great athlete. I come very close to keeping up with him. A couple of things we do I'm stronger than him and vice versa. He can go a little bit harder than me overall, but the difference isn't huge. I'll count that as a win, given our age difference. I feel like I'm as prepared as a 56 year old flatlander will ever be to hunt this fall.

Check out MtnTough's website if you're looking for training programs. Their stuff is top notch.

Yoga, swimming and bicycle riding, in that order. That's what I advise all of my hunting clients, regardless of age.

rclouse79

WKR
I just did a 15 mile round trip backpack trip into the Sawtooths with my son and his friend. I happened to download the Remi-mtntough podcast mentioned above and listened to it in my tent on the last night. Needless to say the boys were delighted when I told them I would carry out their tent and all the extra food the next morning.
I had already started some hiking, biking, lifting before the trip to start preparing for fall. Now I leave tomorrow for a family reunion in Indiana. I am going to have to sneak off to the gym a couple times so I don’t have to start back at square one.

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
Thanks for the info I am all ears. I did listen to the podcast there were some good ideas there too thanks again...

I personally have done a few things, some years i was more into doing heavy deadlifts and squats, other years my focus was back pack hikes on any incline i could find in eastern wisconsin and some years i love running. I kind of ride the train of what i like doing the most each uear. I try to mix in a little of it all but i generally have one i do quite a bit more. This uear its long dostance running. It doesnt always translate to carrying a heavy pack well so i try to mix in a little strength related stuff to compensate that.
But if your bored doing somethi my but love another thing realistically you might skip days on the stuff your bored with or half heartedly do it. Thats why i kind of go with what ive been likeing

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Whatever I can really. Right now for me it’s a lot of rowing on my concept 2 for cardio. I’ll change up what I do but I do it most days. Sometimes it’s a 10k, 3-4x5k, 5x2000 etc.

For strength I like sandbags and kettlebells but I really feel like I should be getting back to the powerlifting type stuff this winter. Squats, deadlifts etc.

Overdrive

WKR
I ride a bike every morning and do a lifting workout in the evenings. For me I've found riding easier on my joints and my bad ankle compared to running.

When the weekend hits I'll go hiking with my pack and do some glassing and scouting. I've got some good spots I like to hit that gets me up to 11k and get to see plenty of critters to keep me tuned in.

Elliptical on high resistance for mountain hunt training. I also walked 3-4 miles ish a day at lunch in my hunting boots for a few months leading up to sheep hunts, I like to condition my feet to impact and the boot itself. I lost the most weight in a short period when I picked up swimming.

WKR
Hiking most mornings in my hunting boots and on weekends doing 6-8 mile hikes at 12,000 feet. I stay in good average shape for my age and it has not been too hard to pick up a little for some high elevation hunts this fall. Don't underestimate fast walking 3.5-4.5 miles per day. Do some pullups and upper body strength work as well. Try to not get out of shape ever, never know what year you'll draw a great tag.

FlyGuy

WKR
My advice is to find what you can do YEAR ROUND, and not just the months leading up to a hunt.

For me, my primary for the past 5 years has been CrossFit. I would highly recommend that you find a CrossFit gym and go for one month, then decide if it’s for you or not. What I really like is that it is constantly varied (and I don’t have to come up with it), it mixes in strength and endurance, and it will make you physically stronger and mentally tougher. But the best part about it is the community aspect. That is a huge driver for me and my consistency.

In addition to this I like to mix in a little bit of everything… running, trail running, mtn biking, yoga…. And I will do a lot more rucking as I get closer to season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpop208

FNG
I lift regularly and I’m Mil so always stay in shape. Usually just try and get out to scout/hike local trails with some weight on me!

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found lunges are one of the best excercises for me, Most years prior to my hunts I work up to 700 lunges in sets of 30-40 over a 3-4 mile walk/jog leading up to my mountain hunts (no mountains around here to train in). I also lift, or will start again once both wrists get back to fully functional.

arrowman

FNG
You have to check out MTNTOUGH. Dustin and the crew in Bozeman know their stuff. They just launched a "Foundations" program too which is a great starting point.

EdP

WKR
A stairmaster is hard to beat if you have access to one. Works cardio and the legs. Cycling is great too but not as demanding on the cardiovascular system.

Bike 6 days a week (15-25 mile rides)
Ruck 4-5 days a week (4.4 miles 42 lbs)
Weights 5-6 days a week.

I have 4 days off a week so on those days I do the entire regimen. On work days I bike and do weights.

Doing this for years. Never felt unprepared in the mountains.

A stairmaster is hard to beat if you have access to one. Works cardio and the legs. Cycling is great too but not as demanding on the cardiovascular system.
Cycling hits cardio hard. If this isn't the case you're not pushing hard enough. My solo rides I'll hit 19-20 MPH average. I can assure you, with proper tempo, you will get an intense cardio workout.

jmassart

FNG
I like to do a mix of cardio and strength training, with a big focus on single leg work. This summer I've been doing a mix of MtnTough Heavy Pack 2.0 workouts and strength training with weights. It's been awesome. I just turned 56 a couple days ago. I workout every day with my 25 year old son who is a great athlete. I come very close to keeping up with him. A couple of things we do I'm stronger than him and vice versa. He can go a little bit harder than me overall, but the difference isn't huge. I'll count that as a win, given our age difference. I feel like I'm as prepared as a 56 year old flatlander will ever be to hunt this fall.

Check out MtnTough's website if you're looking for training programs. Their stuff is top notch.
Agree especially on the single leg strength training. Strengthening the gluteus medius and Maximus are huge for stabilizing the knees and low back.