What do you do for rain gear

I used to carry an old school Cabelas rain suit. Heavy brushed exterior bibs and jacket. I don't miss the days of lugging those around the mountains but we didn't know any better. Last year I broke down and bought First Lite Vapor Stormlight Rain Jacket and a pair of Outdoor Research Helium Rain Pants. All in all, the entire suit comes in at around a pound and I keep it in a dry bag that rolls up to around the size of a small dodgeball. I think that is well worth it to have an entire rain suit for not much more weight/space than a Nalgene bottle of water.
Hey there!

Just wanted to ask how you are finding the FL rain jacket. I’ve been bouncing around looking at other companies and their versions of rain jackets but always seem to come back to FL. Haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet and was hoping to get some insight on the durability during light to downpour rain, the breathability, and how well it holds up to wind.

Thanks in advance,

- WJ

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Hey there!

Just wanted to ask how you are finding the FL rain jacket. I’ve been bouncing around looking at other companies and their versions of rain jackets but always seem to come back to FL. Haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet and was hoping to get some insight on the durability during light to downpour rain, the breathability, and how well it holds up to wind.

Thanks in advance,

- WJ
I love it. Durability is on par with the other top brands, and it has kept me dry in everything from light mist to a hurricane this fall.

jking6765

FNG
I’ve used the Midway Bear Lake rain gear and it’s been pretty good! It’s quiet enough to bow hunt, I shot a bull elk while wearing it.

This umbrella doesn’t screw in a d seems like a good design…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you guys doing for rain gear in the tree? Are you carrying something light? Nothing at all? Relying on your soft shell ? I’m hunting Public I know guys recommend umbrellas but they screw in. What’s your guys thoughts?
I don't hunt in the rain. Too much chance of losing the blood trail. I pack it in and go home or wait it out in the truck. The last time I hunted public in the rain, I did have one of those little 1/2 umbrellas in the tree above me and it worked fine. Shot a doe that morning and it started pouring down rain. Never found her. That was it for me.

Big fan of the cabelas space rain gear. Light and packable so you can keep it in your pack at all times

Mosby

WKR
I don't hunt in the rain. Too much chance of losing the blood trail. I pack it in and go home or wait it out in the truck. The last time I hunted public in the rain, I did have one of those little 1/2 umbrellas in the tree above me and it worked fine. Shot a doe that morning and it started pouring down rain. Never found her. That was it for me.
I don't hunt in pouring down rain either. I go back to my truck or tent and wait it out

For light rain or drizzle, I have a pair of brown FL rain pants and a camo rain coat I bought years ago. Don't remember what brand it is but it is light weight and it works for light rain. At some point, I should probably upgrade my rain coat though. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

If its raining hard enough that animals arent out, Ill hang out at camp. Otherwise I have been using my torrid puffy from EE. Wicks of the rain pretty well and it keeps me warm. However, if I am on the move I won’t wear it.