What do you do for rain gear

PAhntr91

WKR
What are you guys doing for rain gear in the tree? Are you carrying something light? Nothing at all? Relying on your soft shell ? I’m hunting Public I know guys recommend umbrellas but they screw in. What’s your guys thoughts?

Zdub02

WKR
Depends on how hard it is/is going to rain. I'll pack in or just wear some goretex if it will be substantial rain. I have and use an umbrella on occasion and rain ends up running in anyway so I like to have a waterproof outer layer on.

I use an umbrella and rain pants. Well that's what I used to use. Now I go home if I need that much protection.

Jbxl20

WKR
I used my umbrella here in PA and Ohio last year for an all day sit. Worked great. I just picked up a kuiu Yukon on here to use in Colorado. Glad I had it. We got caught in thunderstorm and it was worth every penny and it’s weight in my pack.

Wileym20

FNG
If it’s not supposed to be a down pour, I definitely just rely on soft shell gear. If there’s a chance of a lot of rain for an extended time period, Kuiu all the way for me.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I used to carry an old school Cabelas rain suit. Heavy brushed exterior bibs and jacket. I don't miss the days of lugging those around the mountains but we didn't know any better. Last year I broke down and bought First Lite Vapor Stormlight Rain Jacket and a pair of Outdoor Research Helium Rain Pants. All in all, the entire suit comes in at around a pound and I keep it in a dry bag that rolls up to around the size of a small dodgeball. I think that is well worth it to have an entire rain suit for not much more weight/space than a Nalgene bottle of water.

I own a couple sets of kuiu and sitka rain gear. A tree umbrella is always with me when rain is forecasted. Rainy or overcast days are always the best deer movements. Being comfortable and on stand in these conditions are worth the high costs of quality rainwear.
It always amazed me how guys will spend 2k on a bow but spend 20 bucks on a pos rain suit.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently purchased a rain suit from SKRE. Haven't have the opportunity to try it out yet but it's extremely light and packs down with it's own individual bags to the size of a nalgene bottle and is made in the U.S.

Wrench

WKR
I suggest hunting elk in the mountains. Haul a #35 pack for a few miles a day and tons of vert and it is suddenly a simple solution to carry whatever you want to your tree. If it rains, I don the Takur....which is always in my pack.

Kwa_bena

FNG
I used my umbrella here in PA and Ohio last year for an all day sit. Worked great. I just picked up a kuiu Yukon on here to use in Colorado. Glad I had it. We got caught in thunderstorm and it was worth every penny and it’s weight in my pack.
Glad to hear that. It'll be a purchase for me after hearing that.

*zap*

WKR
I just keep a light Kuiu set in my pack almost always...just the windbreak factor can be a savior if you underestimated the chill early season....

BigJoeXD

FNG
I run the Sitka Down Pour set but would love to get my hands on a tree umbrella w/ a strap for public land hunting.

Outdoor Research Helium. Can find OR on sale during the year and I don't really care if they are only solids, don't use them enough to justify higher priced gear.

I pack in an old River's West rain suit and it's never been raining hard enough to use it. If it's pouring, it's probably thundering and you want out of the tree anyway. If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased a Frog Togg suit for MUCH cheaper. If it's really coming down you don't need to worry about noise so the Frog Togg being crinkly hardly matters. I've seen it in camo at Academy and CHEAP in solids on Amazon. You can pack it in pretty light and throw it over whatever you're already wearing until the rain moves out. Unless I was planning to hunt in the mountains or in an area with constant rain I need to move in, the more expensive breathable stuff is kinda overkill for me.

rjburrola

FNG
I was recommended Frogg Toggs and they worked great as a cheap option through them on under some Camo. The worry for me was noise but since it's already raining you will blend right in till you get to your stand or whatever your setup is.;

Kwa_bena

FNG
I was recommended Frogg Toggs and they worked great as a cheap option through them on under some Camo. The worry for me was noise but since it's already raining you will blend right in till you get to your stand or whatever your setup is.;
If I was in a stand, and if it's cold enough to justify wearing them, I'll have some neoprene boots off the bat and have a rain jacket in my pack.