What do you do to keep warm on a cot?

cnelk

WKR
I’ve found with my Big Agnes air core mattress I need thermal break between me and the mattress or it will suck the heat right outta you. A cheap foam pad does wonders.

If you don’t use a air mattress, I’ve also had good luck with a 2” foam pad, a quilt draped over the cot so cold air doesn’t get underneath. Then your sleeping bag on top.

Believe me, I’ve been so cold by not having the right system.

CoStick

WKR
A quality pad is more comfortable than a cot. Even a cot with a nice pad isn’t as comfortable.

Savage99

WKR
Tested on a cot down to nearly 10F is a Exped Symat 9 pad with an older Cabela's down bag (rating says -30F). So warm I slept with bag partially unzipped. That mat is not the lightest, but great insulator.

I’m trying to dial in a new setup with the downmat 9, BA 0 degree and maybe a knockoff Helinox I picked up. Does the cot add any to comfort or is it mainly just nicer in a way? I don’t have much experience with cots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
XL cot with a wool blanket on bottom, 3” foam pad, zero degree flannel bag then another blanket on top. It’s ridiculous looking but warm.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In addition to some foam padding, you'll need a warm sleeping bag as well. I sleep better on my cot setup than I do at home. A fleece or wool hat will also help you stay warm while sleeping.

If “car camping” and not having to pack in, I take an old queen sized down comforter and fold it in half and put it down first on the cot and then my sleeping bag on top. It’s honestly more comfortable and cozy than sleeping at home on my crazy expensive mattress. Another reason to get out in the woods. I never sleep better than on that cot.

Wrench

WKR
You who are placing compressible materials under you, think about this,

We choose down because we can take it's light weight and squish it into nothing. Try that with a piece of closed cell foam.

If you can squish the air out of your insulation layer undwr the weight of your body, you're not doing it efficiently.

Titan

WKR
A foam topper works great. If it will be cold, don't get memory foam. I made that mistake and it was almost frozen solid. You finally warm it up enough to sink down, but then you are stuck in that spot all night like a taco.

For my wife and I we use an old original Thermarest for her and a Exped SIM for me under the 40-50 mm foam mattress.
Both do the job the Exped is a bit wider but both the same thickness.
Then whatever sleeping bag for the expected temps.
NZ might be a "tropical" South Pacific Island but any time of the year you can get some pretty cold nights.
Have been down to -10c in the tent ok.

Scoot

WKR
Even a cot with a nice pad isn’t as comfortable.
Different strokes for different folks, but that's definitely not my experience. The combo of a good pad and my car camping cot is a beautiful thing!

A good sleeping bag and pad are a must for cot sleeping, especially in below freezing temps. However, i have found that putting things under the cot are just as important. I put my backpack, any extra gear, really anything I can find to fill the space under the cot and keep airflow from moving between the cot and the ground. Makes a drastic difference in warmth through the night.

Another vote for closed cell foam.
I’ve never tried my inflatable pad on a cot, but I assume it would be even better.

Eyeman

FNG
I sleep under the stars on the cot alot doing scouting, fishing or early Hunts with no pad.
Usually comfortable enough just because its usually weekend stuff and dont want to haul extra stuff.
Then that weekend in October always comes along where I learn my lesson.

4BarN

FNG
Place items under the cot to limit airflow. Coats, backpack, blankets, whatever you can find. It helps!

Titan_Bow

WKR
Thermarest basecamp pad works well, that’s what we use for family camping. If it’s really cold, you have to have some sort of insulation under you. Same with a hammock.