What do you do to keep warm on a cot?

I’ve found with my Big Agnes air core mattress I need thermal break between me and the mattress or it will suck the heat right outta you. A cheap foam pad does wonders.

If you don’t use a air mattress, I’ve also had good luck with a 2” foam pad, a quilt draped over the cot so cold air doesn’t get underneath. Then your sleeping bag on top.

Believe me, I’ve been so cold by not having the right system.
I just bought one of these….Big aAgnes AXL…will it sleep cold like your air core? Is it the same thing?

[https://www.moosejaw.com/product/big-agnes-insulated-axl-air-sleeping-pad_10482538

cnelk

WKR
I just bought one of these….Big aAgnes AXL…will it sleep cold like your air core? Is it the same thing?

[https://www.moosejaw.com/product/big-agnes-insulated-axl-air-sleeping-pad_10482538

Looks similar.
Does your sleeping bag have the 'sleeve' for a air mattress?
My BA 0 Degree Farwell does [BTW - the sleeve side has zero insulation, just fabric]

If you dont want to use a thin foam pad as a thermal break, a thin blanket doubled up should help.

But there is no way I will ever NOT use a thermal break between the air mattress and my body.

Been Cold - Done That.

ecw

FNG
If you are using a cot I’m assuming you have room to pack a bulky pad. This one from Alps has 4” of foam and a valve you use to inflate/deflate for your desired firmness. It will roll up to 30”x8”. I’ve used mine in LA/AR where the temps aren’t brutal but humidity is raging and I’ve been down to the high 20s with no problem. I use my 850 fill Sierra Designs backcountry bed atop it and I’m toasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage99

WKR
Looks similar.
Does your sleeping bag have the 'sleeve' for a air mattress?
My BA 0 Degree Farwell does [BTW - the sleeve side has zero insulation, just fabric]

If you dont want to use a thin foam pad as a thermal break, a thin blanket doubled up should help.

But there is no way I will ever NOT use a thermal break between the air mattress and my body.

Been Cold - Done That.

cnelk, I picked up one of these after reading how you do it. I’m pretty sure I’ll try it with my downmat 9 lw and BA echo park 0.

ASR Outdoor Thermal Mat Heat Reflective Sleeping Pad Insulated Winter Chill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IVDZT...abc_TKHRX1JNYNV3MR0NEZKG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opah

WKR
A cargo mat folded in half, laid under you Say hi to your toasty toes in the morning
I has keep my hunting stuff and boots down at the end between the mat and sleeping bag
well use to now I have my small coleman pop up with heater and a queen size bed.

robtattoo

WKR
Old school cowboy bedroll with a ticking mattress works for me. Drape a blanket over the cot first, so it hangs to the floor on both sides. That cuts a bunch of draft. Fleece sleeping bag liner & my 0° EE quilt & I'm good down to single digits. If I KNOW it's going to be well below freezing, the best insulation I've ever used for my cot, was a Holiday Inn! 😁

If camping near or by a vehicle, a moving blanket works extremely well on a cot. Works even better with a pad with the added benefit of keeping the pad in place.

Don’t worry about air below you. Hammock users don’t and they stay warm (thanks to an under quilt). Have something with a high enough R value and cal it good.

^^^ I don’t think the hammock users are sleeping in the temps we are referring to
Didn’t see the OP specify a temperature.

For that matter none of the temperatures in this thread are terribly horrific. Most are actually pretty reasonable. An older thread in this site has one user go to about -20* and was comfortable. Other forums have folks going even colder.

Jhill1980

FNG
Sleeping in a tent and have one of those XL outfitter cots. Last year at the deer hunt I got pretty cold on it on the bottom. What’s the best way to stay warm sleeping on a cot?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Have a wood stove in your tent. Unfortunately, you lose heat to the cold air underneath your cot. You can put an insulated sleeping pad on your cot to reflect your body heat back to yourself instead of the cold air underneath your cot. Sea to Summit also sells thermal lightweight liners for your bag to add a couple extra degrees to your bag. Hopefully the bag you are using is also rated for 20-30 degrees warmer than the expected temp. Temp ratings on sleeping bags are more of a guideline for what will keep you alive at its degree rating. Versus being “comfortable”. If I’m not backpacking in? I use an Alpz Outdoors -15 degree flannel sleeping back with my 20 degree bag inside of that. But, I also sleep on an insulated sleeping pad.

I'll create a barrier under the cot by putting my gear underneath. I always do this to save space but on a December hunt a couple years ago one night I left my gear out and it was noticeably different.

cnelk

WKR
Didn’t see the OP specify a temperature.

For that matter none of the temperatures in this thread are terribly horrific. Most are actually pretty reasonable. An older thread in this site has one user go to about -20* and was comfortable. Other forums have folks going even colder.
Maybe start a hammock thread. Just a thought

Maybe start a hammock thread. Just a thought
No need for a new thread.

The OP asked about keeping warm on a cot. If folks can stay warm in a hammock, then folks can stay warm on a cot. Both setups have to address cold air below you.

Both require a sufficient level of insulation below you. Both require a sufficient level of insulation above you. Both require a sufficient level on insulation on your sides.

def90

WKR
If you have a cot I am assuming you are car camping. Just bring a full size comforter from home and fold it up in 3rds and put it between you and the cot.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Sleeping in a tent and have one of those XL outfitter cots. Last year at the deer hunt I got pretty cold on it on the bottom. What’s the best way to stay warm sleeping on a cot?

Thanks.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks.

Sheeps skin rug. Keeps us toasty and is so comfortable

Attachments

• 975D2603-5582-4482-AA22-26C7FDD788AD.png
    975D2603-5582-4482-AA22-26C7FDD788AD.png
    742.2 KB · Views: 18