What do you do to keep warm on a cot?

Jimss

WKR
Not sure why you need a cot? I sleep like a baby after a long day of hunting on a matress. I've been in single digets on a matress in my truck with a couple sleeping bags and layers of clothes and stay mighty warm.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
My cot is wonderfully comfortable with a couple older thermarest pads. I like the extra space under the cot to store stuff and like being up off the ground.

If its cold (less than ten degrees) I might heat the tent with a Mr. Buddy. When it is really cold like minus ten my dog sleeps on the cot and we share each others heat.

Teton sports cot pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I work construction and I come across carpet pad pretty often. I have made bed rolls out of it and used it on a cot and also doubled it up to sleep in the bed of my truck. Its cost effective ( usually get a 3x6 piece for free if you ask) and works for a season. Downfall is it absorbs water like the sponge it is.

Travis907

WKR
Just depends if I’m base camping or lightweight spike camping.
A quality pad and sleeping bag is a definite. If it gets too cold on the cot, I’ll add a cheap foam pad as a base then my quality air pad under my sleeping bag. I also wear a warm beanie and that makes all the difference.

TheTone

WKR
A foam topper works great. If it will be cold, don't get memory foam. I made that mistake and it was almost frozen solid. You finally warm it up enough to sink down, but then you are stuck in that spot all night like a taco.
Learned my lesson with a memory foam pillow this winter. It’s nice around the house but was basically a brick while cold weather camping

Mosby

WKR
For my basecamp I have thick soft foam pads I bought at Gander Mountain when they were going out of business. In really cold weather I have some thin, cheap polar fleece throws that I put under the pad. Combination works well enough for me.

A quality pad. Insulates you from the cold below you.

And a quality bag. I don't like the big flannel heavy ones, so I just use my Enlightened Equip quilt.
Yup, me too. EXPED pad with an R rating of 6 and EE Conundrum quilt w/ Hoodlum.

JohnD116

FNG
As far as cold weather sleeping pads go, I recommend the wellax closed cell. A little big as far as pack size but if you’re gonna run a cot then I’d imagine that’s not a problem. This pad is comfortable enough for side sleepers and has a 9.5 R value.

Last edited:
As far as cold weather sleeping pads go, I recommend the wellax closed cell. A little bit as far as pack size but if you’re gonna run a cot then I’d imagine that’s not a problem. This pad is comfortable enough for side sleepers and has a 9.5 R value.
That is a warm SOB!

A good cot with a 3" Davis Tent Cot Pad along with the appropriate sleeping bag for the temps. If it gets really cold (below 0), then I bring a heavier wool blanket. As previously stated I will also have a beanie on.

BluMtn

WKR
Teton sports cot pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is what I use. Plus I have one of their -35 sleeping bags. Only time of the year I sleep like a baby. I like camping in the tent better than sleeping in my own bed.