What do you do with the carcass after the hunt?

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Here in Pa the game commission says to throw it out in the trash. I own a little bit of land and always dispose of the carcass after butchering in the wood. EVERYTHING is devoured by the local critters. I don't see the sense in adding to the landfill more items that could be benefiting the environment.
What say you?

Clarence

WKR
There is talk that the best place for a cwd positive carcass is in a sealed landfill. This is becoming relevant in Pa unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back from whence it came. Seems a tragedy to put remains of a wild creature in a landfill. CWD being the exception.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on doing the same. I hunt private land in a unit that borders a CWD zone in Minnesota. They've put in attractant bans but no restrictions on carcass movement yet. They've only confirmed one actual case last year in the CWD zone in question and no new cases this year so I'm not all that worried. Gonna dump it in the woods and let the yotes pick it clean.

I've done everything from bury it to burn it in a brush pile to just Chuck it in my back 40 to feed the critters.

Brendan

WKR
If there is any chance of CWD - always in a landfill. But, realistically, I butcher all my deer at home, so everything goes in a contractor bag or two and in the trash can anyways.

xOttox

FNG
Depends when around home into trash bags and out with our trash service. If out west I process there and leave the bones and organs I'm not using. So I say all depends.

Michael54

WKR
Im in 2E in pa and they havent found cwd here yet just in 2c. We self butcher and the carcass gets dumped in the same spot on the property.

1 free ranging deer was found to be CWD positive in 2E in 2017. The other cases have been captive deer including the most recent this spring outside of Curwensville.

I am fine with disposing of deer parts in a sealed land fill if it can prevent the spread of cwd. If prions are shed as they believe and deer can contract it as they say then I really doubt how we dispose of it matters but if it can help then I will do what I can.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Boning it out right where it lies is how I prefer to do it. That’s what happens to deer that die of anything besides humans, so I see zero need in moving it to a landfill CWD or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boning it out right where it lies is how I prefer to do it. That’s what happens to deer that die of anything besides humans, so I see zero need in moving it to a landfill CWD or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

I quarter on site using the gutless method and then go in for the backstraps and tenderloins. Everything else remains where I shot it. I often leave the quarters in my cooler for a few days, on ice, then bone them out when it's convenient for me. Then all I have to deal with are the leg bones, which fold up pretty small and are easily disposed of in the weekly garbage run.

I quit dragging whole deer years ago and never plan to drag another one so long as I hunt.

This.

I quarter on site using the gutless method and then go in for the backstraps and tenderloins. Everything else remains where I shot it. I often leave the quarters in my cooler for a few days, on ice, then bone them out when it's convenient for me. Then all I have to deal with are the leg bones, which fold up pretty small and are easily disposed of in the weekly garbage run.

I quit dragging whole deer years ago and never plan to drag another one so long as I hunt.
^^yup

if im close to home which I usually am I go to the fishermans wharf to field dress if its private property, I don't like leaving gut piles on private. after I cut them up I go back to the wharf and dump the rest for the crabs and lobsters, or give the hide to the lobstermen for bait

psalm1715

FNG
We have a CWD trash bin not far on Game Commission land- anyway it's for carcass disposal of deer. You should contact the WMA office and see if one is near you.
In the past I've buried them in the garden plot- that works!
I've also returned them to the woods- but I don't like feeding coyotes if I can help it.
I've gotten a lot better at butchering, so there is significantly less waste- for example taking the rack of ribs.
Another idea- contact a local deer processor. See if you can drop off your carcasses with theirs. Maybe even pay the guy a little something for the extra trouble.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I hand mine from a tree near our bird feeders. Lots of birds like the fat and tissue during the winter and will pick clean. Then I throw in the pond for small fish structure.