what do you do with your elk meat??

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
On the aging, keep in mind that you will lose the outer 1/4" due to drying. Some hunters can't handle that waste. However, the meat that remains is better tasting and more tender, so an easy trade off for me. Your dog will love the dried scraps AND you don't have to worry about hair/dirt in the final product as it was cut away completely.

Buy a meat thermometer (has a sharp skewer) with a range that includes 32-40 degrees and keep it in the meat so you can check internal temp daily.

If meat is hung outside (shaded), or in an uninsulated garage, combine your weatherman's high/low temp forecast and divide by two. That will get you close to the average temp the meat will experience. If that temp is forecast to be higher than 40 for more than 12 hours, your meat might start to grow bacteria, then you need to find a locker. The aging process stops when the temp gets to 32 or below, so you have to add those days back.

I arranged a locker for $3 per day this season and hung a buck for 21 days. It was supposed to be $66 hanging fee, but the butcher waived it when I decided to let him process the meat for me.

Some mold on the aging meat is normal and is trimmed off at final processing.

Hardstalk

WKR
Im going to be the oddball out here. When it comes to aging game I personally am against it. Beef absolutely. The longer the better. But with the aging process the fat does mold which adds flavor and tenterizes. thats the basic point in a nutshell and with grain/ hay fed beef the fat becomes the flavor. Thats the succulent flavor we desire in beef. In my experience game meat is usually very lean. And game fat is the typical "gamey" flavor most do not desire to taste. I have found flavor difference to be minimal at best between game cut and wrapped within hours of being downed and aged game. Only difference to me is what robby pointed out which is loss of meat from drying.

anytime you see big ol prime ribs on sale at costco, buy it, then you skin the big ol fat roll off, cook the roast for a special occasion and use that fat to grind into you burger so you can make them more rare than using pork fat. pork fat for sausage.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I use beef suet in my burger. pork fat tastes great in burger, but it doesn't keep in the freezer as long.

I like to age my game meat, but I haven't had a lot of poor meat from critters that didn't age very long either. A lot of the old timers around here swear by aging.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
We are big on steaks and burgers as well. We canned our deer this year for the first time. No elk for me this year but the next one is going to get some canning attention. We added garlic, some beef broth and onion before canning. Really tasty stuff. Elk stew with the veggies straight out of our garden is a huge favorite of mine. Add a slice of home made bread or biscuits and you can call me mucho happy!

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I've read to use about a 5 to 7 percent beef fat ratio when mixing with your meat, does that sound about right to you guys?

Also where is the bet place to get it, most things I read say call local butcher shops and if so what do you think I would expect to pay for it?

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
Sk1, you can pick up the beef fat at the butchers. You may need to tell them to save some for you. What the butcher does not use most often is just thrown away. I would guess the price to be little or nothing.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll cut the steaks, package the bulk and take it in for processing for burger, sausage and pepperoni stix w/cheese..yummy they are:)

Slim Jim

WKR
I process my own meat and with elk I make burger out of front quarters, neck, and brisket. Roasts and steaks from rear quarters and the choice cuts from tenderloin and back straps. I like to use beef fat for elk and pork belly fat for venison

Ray

WKR
There is a local game processor that makes "bacon burger". He uses ends and pieces of bacon with game meat during grinding. It makes the best burgers for summer cook outs.

I don't enjoy it as much with caribou, but moose and black bear are pretty good. It would be great with deer and elk.

Craig4791

WKR
There is a local game processor that makes "bacon burger". He uses ends and pieces of bacon with game meat during grinding. It makes the best burgers for summer cook outs.

I don't enjoy it as much with caribou, but moose and black bear are pretty good. It would be great with deer and elk.

This is what I use to mix as fat with my burger. Tastes great!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last cow I shot I did a few steaks and mostly burger. It's all we eat and the kids love it. The bull I got this year I went against the advice most say, "Don't have steaks made with an old bull, it is too tough and will be gamey." I did most of the bull into steaks, and a few roasts, and the meat that wasn't either was burger. The steaks are phenomenal!

wapitibob

WKR
I don't age any game meat; separate every muscle, fillet off any casing or silver skin, and burger all of it but a few back strap steaks.

Vandal 44

WKR
I don't add any beef or pork fat to my elk or deer. When I make burgers I cook them on the Tregger they get a nice smokey flavor and the burgers sticks together very well.