What do you do with your photos?

Every year I end up with a pile of photos from early season backpacking/scouting trips, high lake fishing and deep into the year during the hunting season. I go through and delete some of the bad/temporary ones and the rest sit in Lightroom or just on my devices afterwards. I realize that I could make a photo album to keep around the house, but I want to hear what others do with their personal photos to do them some honor or be able to show them to friends and family a little more economically.
IMG_0321.JPG

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
I've had similar issues and the best I came up with was a Slideshow on a digital photo frame.

I build “albums” on google photos, makes it easier to find specific photos and I can share them pretty easily.

Wapiti1

WKR
Digital photo frames. Coffee table books, and I change out photos on the walls every couple of years. Slideshows that I can send to folks.

Jeremy

MeatBuck

WKR
Mine always get lost when my phone stops working. I’ve lost hundreds of photos because I refuse to use “the cloud”.
Generally I send out the good ones to my ol lady’s phone so she can save them but I’ve definitely have lost more than I’ve saved.

I have a 4'x8' piece of 1/8" masonite mounted on the wall in my shop that I glue photos to using contact cement. Most are kill photos, but there are some landscapes and some live animal photos as well. It's fun to sit and look at the memories. Especially the ones of my kids. It's about half full so I have plenty of room to add to it!

jspradley

WKR
I'd personally go with a digital photo frame but tangible hardcopy photos are really cool.

Adoramapix has really high quality prints, I've only printed out one of my photos from them and it came out really nice. They run about $20 each, I have heard good things about their photo book service but never used that.

For digital storage I have a few HDDs that I back up my photos on and also store high res files on Google drive.

JFK

WKR
I save them on my phone and back them up so if my phone is lost or destroyed I don’t lose the pictures. Then about once a year I select all the ones I want printed and print them. Mostly just small 4x6” size and put them in a photo album that sits in a closet. It’s nice to be able to pull it down and look through them every once in a while without sorting through the hundreds of other photos on my phone. Plus, it will be something my son can have once I’m gone. I plan on adding quite a few more photos to it with him when he’s older and think there is something cool about old, yellowed pictures in an album.

Stalker69

WKR
I have boxes and boxes of photos from 35mm. Now I have memory cards filled with them, vcr, 8mm, and now memory cards full of videos that never get looked at again. I am sure my kids will throw them out when I am gone. Unless I get around to it first. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but just being honest.

Last edited:
OP
T
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't ever used google photos so I will be checking that out. I have always thought of the digital photo frames as "tacky" but never given them a shot, it looks like they have some pretty neat ones out now. I think I will invest in a good ol' leather photo album and start printing and sticking and see where that gets me. I'd hate to lose all the photos from some memories that I really cherish like some of you have experienced.IMG_3436.JPG

Occasionally, I'll print a few photos. I use amazon - its cheap for an 8x10. Costco used to sell frames pretty cheap. I'd buy those, and store 5-6 photos in each, rotating them out every once in a a while. I do that with my best photos from being on the ice, and with photos of my kids. unfortunately, I haven't seen the costco frames in 3-4 years, so I haven't added much recently.

Prints can't be beat.

I'd love to find a cost effective solution to converting (at high resolution, and reasonable effort) the many binders of slides that I have from before the days of digital.