What do you do with your venison?

DavePwns

WKR
Any one ever made their own bone broth? I buy organic beef bone broth, wondering how feasible it is to DIY

Scottyboy

WKR
My personal favorites are snack sticks and jalapeño & cheese sausage, but I get a lot made to eat all year. Everything in this photo is deer/elk from this 2019/2020 season except one pack of pork bacon, one pack of pork sausage, and a beef prime rib. All gifts from vendors ha. Looking to take two more Whitetail this season (5 days left) for jerky meat. Add some Turkey in March/April and fish this summer.

View attachment 152338

Deer Jalapeño & Cheddar Sausage
Deer Jalapeño & Pepperjack Sausage
Deer Cubed Steak
Deer Burger
Deer Backstrap
Deer Stew Meat
Deer Hot Dogs
Deer Mild Smoked Snack Sticks
Deer Spicy Smoked Snack Sticks
Deer Pepperjack Smoked Snack Sticks
Elk Jalapeño & Cheddar Sausage
Elk Cajun Smoked Sausage
Elk Mild Smoked Sausage
Elk Maple Smoked Sausage
Elk Patty Sausage
Elk Burger
Elk Cubed Steak

very jealous of you guys down south, I got a buddy in AL who keeps telling me to come down. He says “enough with the nonsense of your 1 or 2 tags” 😂😀. good lookin freezer my friend!

WCB

WKR
Same as most people, steaks, roasts, burgers, summer sausage, snack sticks etc. I usually leave everything in as large of pieces/muscle groups as possible then decide on some of the cuts to break down into steaks or roast when the time comes.

I started just leaving most of my front shoulders whole and just roasting them blade in. Cuts down on processing time. Neck, rib, shanks, and trim are what get processed.

My wife and I (and now our 1 year old) can go through about 5 deer a year (plus a ton of pheasant, grouse, ducks, fish)...I keep my scrap/meat for processing cubed until we need it then get it processed depending on the need at the time. this year we hit up the processor 3 times. Down to about 20lbs of steaks and roasts, 12lbs of burger, and half a dozen packs of sticks and summer sausage a piece. So about perfect to get us to Sept.

2rocky

WKR
Used to have the processor cut it all in to steaks and chops, before I took a meats class. Cut up a few deer myself.

Now, with most of my kills gutless quartered I will usually vacuum seal large primals and break them down into steaks if the fancy strikes me once I defrost them . Usually grind the shoulders, neck rib meat and flank to have sausage or Pepperoni sticks made.

I've tried crock potting roasts and I don't much care for the texture that process creates. I'd rather use a higher fat roast like a pork shoulder.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Does get ground up into burger for the entire family to eat.
Bucks I make into steaks, cubes and jerky for myself to eat

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We grind almost everything but the prime cuts these days. Easier and more versatile for eating whitetail year round. We also butcher it all ourselves so it makes it quick and easy to get through deer. We only eat wild game meat that we've hunted, fished, or farmed on our own land. Ground venison is one of our staples and we eat it every week...

.Spaghetti/Pasta Sauces
.Tacos
.Burgers (Grilled, Smoked, Panfried)
.Stuffed Peppers
.Stews
.Steaks
.Stroganoff
.Burritos
Nachos
.Ground Venison Bowls (Rice, Cheese, Venison, Toppings)
.Venison Steak Salads
.Venison Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
.Ball Roast Pot Roast and Potatoes
.Pulled Pork/Venison Sandwiches
.Ground Venison browned nicely in a pan and then baked on top as a pizza topping is fantastic.
.We turn 40 lbs of ground every year into Smoked Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage. Mix with ground pork, peppers from our garden, and extra sharp cheddar cheese. This stuff is just ridiculously good.
.I also have an insanely delicious vension/beef steak stew recipe that takes about 8-10 hours on the crockpot.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
My deer usually gets ground into burger, with 10-15% beef fat added. I keep the tenderloin and backstraps for steaks. If I get the opportunity (tags), and get 2 deer, I might get a 25# batch of sausage made.

We typically grind everything but backstraps. If it is a young deer, I like to clean the front shoulders up and put them in the slow cooker with taters and carrots.

KMW

FNG
First deer of the year gets ground into burger with the exception of back straps and tender loins and. I grind in 20% pork fat with all of my burger. Second deer I keep aside a whole hind for roast, jerky and steaks plus the back straps and tender loins. The rest is ground for sausage, summer sausage and sticks. My sausage is 70/30 deer/pork. If I’m lucky enough to have a third to worry about, I grind more burger and keep a few more roasts. I usually use more burger than anything.

I steak out most the straps and large ham muscles then cube most of the rest, like to braise them in a Dutch oven for a few hours on weekends and have tips and rice.

I really want to get into making sausages, in fact I’m gonna go order some stuff to do it right now

cman79

FNG
Trying to eat better less processed junk we started eating steaks in the morning with eggs. The kids even enjoy them. A little butter, salt and garlic pepper along with a few runny eggs on the side. Other then that and the typical ground uses in chili, spaghetti... She makes a stroganoff recipe with big egg noodles that is really good.

AFenny11

FNG
For me: shoulders are used for slow cooking, shanks for slow cooking or grind, ribs are usually slow cooked then grilled or just put in ground, backstraps cut in 6 inch steaks, tenderloins kept whole and eaten quickly, back legs cut into steaks/roasts, neck used for slowcooking. Ground is made into sausage, or kept as ground for burger

LostArra

WKR
Backstraps are kept whole unless it's big buck then halved. Usually cooked reverse sear to rare/medium rare then sliced into medalions. I've found it easier to prevent over cooking by not slicing the loins into steaks before cooking. My reverse sear method is in the smoker (light smoke) to 115 then seared for 1-2 minutes per side on hot coals or hot skillet. This meat can be cut many ways other than medalions; fajita meat, chopped for loaded baked potatoes. Marinade is optional but the smoke + salt and pepper gives it a nice flavor.

Tenderloins whole usually reverse sear.
Shanks braised.
Neck roast braised into barbacoa.
Round into a roast and chicken fry steaks (tenderized)
Rib meat and shoulders usually ground but sometimes keep a shoulder roast.
Occasionally I'll make some jerky.

Last edited:

cjthomas2

FNG
Steaks, roast, jerky, grinding meat. The jerky and steaks don't last long in our house. We usually get together with family after season and make brats, sausage, and salami with all the grinding meat.

Mahiman

FNG
We like backstrap steaks, Ground meat 50/50 brisket and venison and the Rest jalapeño cheese link sausage.