What do you do with your venison?

Wondering what folks do with their venison. I grind most into sausage except the rear loins, back straps, and tenderloins. Cold smoke for 10 days and air dry for 4-6 weeks. I've heard from friends is the best meat they've ever had. Anyone else doing anything similar? Id like to dehydrate some into Jerky, got the jerky gun and dehydrator but have never done it, anyone have any good recipes for dehydrated venison jerky?

Thanks and happy holidays

Attachments

• venison 1.jpg
    venison 1.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 306
  • venison 2.jpg
    venison 2.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 307
  • venison 3.jpg
    venison 3.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 294

elkguide

WKR
The first 2 deer usually are ground into burger which is enough for the year. The next one will go into jerky and if I'm still able to take another deer, I'll have that one cut into steaks.

I've found that rather than adding beef or pork fat to bring my venison up to snuff in my burger, we all like it much better when I use bacon as the fat in the burger.

Wondering what folks do with their venison. I grind most into sausage except the rear loins, back straps, and tenderloins. Cold smoke for 10 days and air dry for 4-6 weeks. I've heard from friends is the best meat they've ever had. Anyone else doing anything similar? Id like to dehydrate some into Jerky, got the jerky gun and dehydrator but have never done it, anyone have any good recipes for dehydrated venison jerky?

Thanks and happy holidays

As someone making that much sausage, I'd love to hear some recipes.

LukasHB

FNG
Jerky with just some Worcestershire and liquid smoke and some pepper! Clean and simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice setup!
I've heard that most of the processors (in my area at least) quit doing deer because of all the paperwork the state requires now. It's a shame because that's where most folks got their sausage prepared.
For me: Tenderloins go on the grill first
Shoulders get cut in half for the smoker
Neck meat for roasts that go in the crock pot
Butterfly one of the back straps. the other one is for jerky.
My favorite way to eat venison is to cube it up & pressure can it so that's where the hams go.
If I harvest another one l have folks I just take meat to

OP
ChubbyChaser
As someone making that much sausage, I'd love to hear some recipes.
Im Serbian by heritage so my dad taught me how the old country does it, id be happy to share the recipe on this thread, i always thought cold smoking was a lost art and not many people left doing it but i tell you what, there isnt a better way in my opinion, im finishing up a deer for my friend tonight then doing some salmon thats curing right as i type this. I will share a recipe tomorrow when im back at my computer, theres some leg work involved but i promise it pays off.

Attachments

• 20191201_115342.jpg
    20191201_115342.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 158
OP
ChubbyChaser
This batch was 2% salt (absolutley mandatory!)
2%paprika
2% pepper
20%pork...but i will try bacon on the next one as recommended by someone on this site.
1%chipotle seasoning
2 bottles of pf changs teriyaki sauce but any teriyaki sauce will work.
1% garlic powder

Disclaimer...the 2% salt is mandatory for cold smoking. All the other stuff is optional, i recommend 20 %pork because of the fat base, ive tried 30% and 10% and found that 20 is perfect.

jspradley

WKR
Straps, tenders, and most of the back leg steaks get seared cold blue rare and eaten like carpaccio
Football roast from the back legs get smoked, oven roasted or braised
Shanks get braised (NEVER LEAVE YOUR SHANKS IN THE WOODS!!!)
Neck roast gets braised
Front shoulders get braised
Rando cuts and scraps get turned into jerky and sometimes prime cuts if I lose them in the freezer and they get a little oxidized on the outside

LukasHB

FNG
Whats your jerky recipe?

Pretty much based around that, I’ll mix it up with teriyaki or soy sauce sometimes, or lemon pepper but that’s the basis. No exact measurements on anything just eyeballing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Ground, cubed, sliced tenderloin, neck roast stew, inner loins left whole. Several various cuts for different meals, hogs always sausage, bear left for roast and stews and tenderloin sliced. Turkeys breast split and the rest pressure cooked. I believe that’s all

RCB

WKR
New hunter, have shot an elk and a deer. I use venison the same way I use beef. Roasts, steaks, stews, curries, stir-fry, burger for burgers, chili, pasta, etc. The way I see it, venison can basically be cooked like very lean beef. As long as you keep that in mind you can’t really go wrong.