What do you do with your venison?

We keep the inner loins and backstraps whole, 2 good roasts from the back quarters, then grind the rest into burger.

RDobrow

FNG
I grind all of my deer. Make different sausages, both fresh and smoked.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
We grind quarters, steak the BS. I dont get any fat added to burger, ust cook really slow. Tacos, chili, soups, etc are very good.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Some may feel this is disrespectful but honestly I grind ALL my venison each year and keep it 100% lean. Family of 5 the only red meat I buy is 20-50 lbs of 80/20 steak trimmings burger for grilling burgers everything else my family eats is deer, pheasant, dove, and walleye!

cusecat04

FNG
I always portion some out for camp the following year (back strap chunk, some steaks for chicken fried steak / stews); always keep this isolated so I don't burn through it during the year accidentally.
Backstraps cut in chunks of 4-6 ", can grill whole (my favorite), slice, whatever once its thawed.
Muscle groups boned out into larger pieces, can slice for jerky, roast, grill/smoke, leaves us options.
Remainder is cut up smaller for either fresh ground burgers or sauasage.
I prefer to go less intense on the processing in season (we cut our own)

st59

FNG
I grind all of it into sausage or jerky except backstrap and tender loins. Much easier that way especially shooting multiple deer a year

Murdy

WKR
Pretty much based around that, I’ll mix it up with teriyaki or soy sauce sometimes, or lemon pepper but that’s the basis. No exact measurements on anything just eyeballing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's pretty much what I do. Soy/Teriyaki for a base, some Worcester too, then whatever sounds good: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Sesame Oil, Cayenne Pepper/Tabasco, Sesame Oil, Liquid Smoke, Black Pepper, Paprika/Chili Powder/Cumin, Bourbon, or anything else that sounds good.

My dehydrator will get a batch done overnight. If your doesn't have a fan, be sure to rotate the trays once in a while. Mine has a fan, and I still usually rotate at least once.

I cut it up by hand, while it's still slightly frozen, so I can get it thin.

Beyond jerky, I grind a lot for sausage and/or chili, spaghetti sauce, meat loaf, etc

Jpterry

FNG
Pretty much burger everything but the straps and loins. Usually do 15% fat in sausage and burger just as is lean.

TheGDog

WKR
Steaks, cut to about 1/2" thick, Lo Broil, 6-min, each side, Olive Oil & herb/spices brush-on. Perfect every time.

macabra11

FNG
Pretty much the standard chops, steaks, burger, roasts. I never have anything added to my ground meat, as I prefer to do that myself if I want (like when making sausage). We have our standard meals we do with each cut.

For roasts I like bbq shredded venison in the crockpot. You can make sandwiches out of it or put it on loaded baked taters. Chops I like cooked with diced tomatoes and green chilies and served with rice. Steaks are awesome chicken fried with mushroom gravy and mashed taters. Ground, I like chili and tacos best.

I also make jerky out of it and want to attempt making Landjäger this year!

The jerky recipe I've been using came from the Meateater Cookbook and it's really great.

Soy sauce, W-shire, pineapple juice, honey, red chili flakes, crushed garlic, crushed ginger, salt & Pepper. Then dehydrate.

Azdon

FNG
Backstraps and loins I cut into 1" thick steaks. 1 hindquarter is trimmed and used as a large roast for a family get together. The other hindquarter is boned out and cut into round steaks and stew meat. Frontquarters and neck is course ground for chili, sausage and goulash.

Sundby

FNG
Sausage- all of it- summer sausage and breakfast sausage- mostly jalapeños and cheese.

drice561

FNG
Smoked sausage in pineapple and cheese, and pepper jack cheese; snack sticks; burger with 15% fat; keep the loins as is

bigjohn

FNG
I make 95% of mine into jerky. Here is my recipe for 2 pounds of meat so you can multiply as needed . I use this for slice and burger jerky. Let it marinate for 12-24 hours. You can thank me later for this top secret recipe.DFC61574-D41E-4ED1-A9C4-3205880F64FA.jpeg

bigjohn

FNG
You can leave out the liquid smoke and it’s still really good. I’d be willing to bet you a tenderloin if you try it you’d like it just the way it is. I did want to say be sure to mix up the red pepper really good and if you like it hot just adjust the red pepper portion to taste.