What do you do?

Beastmode

WKR
Whether it be a wife or girlfriend... What do you do to keep her happy so you can go hunting, packing, fishing.....whatever you like to do? We all realize that we need to keep her happy to be able to do all the things we love so much. What do you guys do?

I started to include my wife in all my scouting trips. Teaching her how to fly fish. It may not let me put all the hours that I'd like to into scouting but we get to spend quality time together and enjoy the backcountry together. It also gives her some piece of mind, knowing somewhat where I am during hunting season.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Whether it be a wife or girlfriend... What do you do to keep her happy so you can go hunting, packing, fishing.....whatever you like to do? We all realize that we need to keep her happy to be able to do all the things we love so much. What do you guys do?

I started to include my wife in all my scouting trips. Teaching her how to fly fish. It may not let me put all the hours that I'd like to into scouting but we get to spend quality time together and enjoy the backcountry together. It also gives her some piece of mind, knowing somewhat where I am during hunting season.

Yep taking her along is the best way to go as much as possible. I am out of town for work half they year already so if I were to go from work straight to the field I don't think we'd ever see much of eachother if she didn't come along. :D

hunting1

WKR
You guys are lucky that your wives and or girlfriends will go with you. My wife has come to hate the outdoors, so it is never her priority. She has just learned that when I want to go the whole house is better off letting me and it costs me a chick flick, helping the inlaws, etc. to get the next trip.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Try to marry someone with mutual interests and expand on them during the relationship. If that doesn't work earn your time off the other 11 months.

I'll take my wife backpacking and invite her on every trip. I like it when she goes, although she does not go with me as often as I'd like with kid activity obligations and such. I make sure she has a light and comfortable pack and sleeping set up so it's more enjoyable for her when she does go though. I get concerned it will get too intense or hard and she will not have fun if it gets to tough. One thing I've found is she gets a bit nervous being alone out in the backcountry so I need to move slower than I would normally and make sure she is with me if we are out by ourselves. I guess it is a bit more work but for me it is worth it and I like my wife with me. It means a lot to me when she goes with me into the backcountry.

6451_1095218184690_1353638974_30246937_5733778_n.jpg

Last edited:

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Dishes, Laundry, get up with the kids so she can sleep in. Points add up and hall passes are easy to come by.

I have been struggling with that one. We have a 5-month-old girl and one on the way. We used to go backpacking and camping a lot. We just bought a travel trailer to make it easier. One time we were going to take a train into Ontario but it derailed. A logging company guy let us hitchhike about 20 miles (within 2 miles of our destination) in his truck (the boom kind like a lead with a sleeper). We ate dinner with the guys in camp and went on our way. We were at the tracks to be picked up not knowing if the tracks were fixed 3 days later, it was.

I fail miserably but my advice is to do something for them in advance, which is easier said than done. If you tell them that you are 'earning' the right to go, you will go in reverse. You have to earn points, little ones, along the way. Help them out, do little things to show your love for them, make it about them, etc. Ask them what you could do to make it okay for them. I have the appetite like all of us on here to go out and hunt, fish, and etc. and sometimes it looks, in the women's eyes as if you would rather not be with the family which is not the case. I think it is a natural primal urge that is stronger in guys like us.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Man I'm so glad I married the right girl I'm usually working trying to make spare money she is usually the one saying hey lets go to the mountains. Although she is the luckiest person I've ever seen in the draw and we are usually scouting for something she is gonna be hunting! Oh well Its great and now our 1yr old boy loves going up too

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My wife enjoys the lake and we go fishing together whenever possible in the summer. I love all hunting and fishin so I try to focus on the activities she enjoys when possible.

She doesn't care for hunting, though. I've invited her many times and she's gone a couple. She'd rather be shopping. We've had many discussions about the time I spend in on my hobbies. She understands that I really need to be outside sometimes.

She has her own interests as well and I try to encourage those as much as possible. We have a 2 yr. old daughter and I watch her alone every Tue. and Thur. night so my wife can go to the YMCA and play volleyball with some friends. She cherishes this time and it makes it much easier for me to slip away for the morning on Saturdays.

I'm leaving for a Canadian fishing trip in about a week. She's going to Honduras for a mission trip in July. We're each watching our daughter while the other is away. I expect that as we have more kids and they get older we'll be doing many more things as a family, which will make my wife very happy. My annual hunting trips will always be around, though, and she understands that. COMMUNICATE.

Good discussion.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take my girlfriend with me on the easier hikes, I know she wont want to go on the longer scouting trips but this is where all the short hikes pay off!

IMG_0077.jpg

tstowater

WKR
My wife thinks camping is staying in a bad Holiday Inn. She wants nothing to do with the outdoors, but encourages me to do all I can. I would say she is my biggest supporter, but I would not ask her to participate as I don't think either of us would like the results. She likes it when I am getting ready for a hunt as I eat better and exercise more, but the downfall is that she thinks that I get singlely focused on the hunt and forget about her and the kids (13 & 11). She usually says that the last 2 to 3 weeks before a trip are a waste of time as she thinks I am mentally already gone. I would say that I am as fortunate as I can be, but I also need to work with her when able. It can't be all one-sided.

If you can get them involved and they enjoy it at close to the same level of passion as you do, that is great, but they don't all care as much as you and that is where you need to find out how to work together. Bribing usually doesn't work in the long run. Usually, they just want quality time with you.

G Posik

WKR
I usually tell my wife I am running to the store and will be right back, then show up with some wild game a few days later...... Just joking. My wife used to hunt a lot when she was young. She has given up hunting and is fine with me going on trips. I do try to help her with her interest. She does enjoy fishing and camping trips. We are getting her a kayak so she and the kids can all go. Right now my daughter will jump in the yak with me in a heart beat.

Glenn

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got lucky enough 25 yrs ago to pick someone who understands and appreciates my interests and allows me to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible. She has been with me on a few hunts, but shopping is more her style. In the off season I bank time for the many days I will be out doing my thing. It also helps if she enjoys wearing KUIU gear:)

cmeier117

WKR
Well... I have already started earning my hall passes for this year. I have a week long trip planned late September for Elk. (The only reason I am going late is because our second kid is coming mid July so I am being nice to her :)) I also hunt every Weekend during the hunting season. We have a 2nd late season doe hunt in Oregon that lasts from thanksgiving to end of year about. It is just hard to not act obsessed during times of the year like now! I just try and act like I am not reading anything, studying maps etc.... That way it does not seem like 24/7 hunting on my mind to her. Once the two boys are older I will go scouting a lot more and take them with me. She will like the peace and quiet I am sure!

Buy her Coach purses and keep making the rent payment! JK

I am lucky enough to have a very understanding wife that will let me go by myself when i need it. I think she can usually tell when i need to go to the mountains.
She also likes to camp and hike so whenever possible she goes with me and I encourage that as often as i can.