What do you get when you’re caught in a major mountain storm?

BFR

WKR
IMG_20230822_083233.jpeg
Just a 2 hour thunderstorm with 4” of rain on top of a previous storm that dumped 3”. Both sides of road were under over a foot of water and two old geezers. After hiking the 3 miles to the top of the mountain road back to camp this is what we were faced with. Yeah, we got it out with no permanent damage. Just left a 3’deep hole behind.

Attachments

• IMG_20230822_083146.jpeg
    IMG_20230822_083146.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 134

Rich M

WKR
We always carried a shovel, 2 jacks, and a come along. Add a dollop of patience when things happen and you got it made.

Glad you guys got out without damage! A lot of work involved in getting out.

wytx

WKR
Yikes !
Does anyone check the weather forecast before they go up into the mountains these days ?
Just giving a little grief, rains lately have been heavy.

Glad you got out ok, digging is hard on the back. Hoping it was worth the trip for you, scouting?

Weldor

WKR
Always have a winch and snatch blocks. It's premium off road and on road insurance . As above also high lift shovels, maybe a couple traction mats. Glad you got it out and home safe.

87TT

WKR
I have a Hi-Lift jack that I’ve carried for almost 50 years. I have a winch also but have used the jack way more times. I made sure I can jack from any side. I have rock sliders on the sides, a flat bottom front winch bumper and lift plates under the rear bumper. The last thing I used the jack for was to move a large tree that fell across the road I was driving down. It was over 40” in diameter but I moved the log over a few inches at a time every lift until I could drive around the end.

OP
BFR

BFR

WKR
Equipment wise we had a winch, high lift jack come along. 200 ft of Mule tape, 2 shovels and a chain saw. With the amount of water 💦 coming in and shifting sand now of it was any help. Plus up the hill was 3 or 4 large rocks in the water channel, so we thought it prudent to bail and come back the next morning. As far as checking the weather we knew storms were coming and sat through what was supposed to be the worst. The one that caught us came up late with no buildup and came in fast. All in all we had a blast.

OP
BFR

BFR

WKR
Besides. It’s archery deer here in California and everyone knows it never rains in California 😂

49ereric

WKR
2 high lift jacks and chainsaw in the woods.
the jeep situation might require letting the water drain off for a day or more and then shovel.
unless a 12K winch and solid winching post can be connected to.

Reactions: BFR

87TT

WKR
In my younger crazy days of four wheeling, we would do our crazy stuff at night and kept going until we got stuck. Good times!

Reactions: BFR