What do you look for or expect from a guide?

MattB

WKR
Lots of good comments above.

Knowing the terrain and how animals use it (water, bedding areas, etc.) is first and foremost. A couple of friends who are very good hunters (1 a former guide himself) have been on guided hunts with guides who were either brand new or experienced but on their first trip in unfamiliar habitat (e.g. sheep guide being used to hunt sitka deer) and all were bad experiences. My one friend spotted every animal but 1 on his sitka hunt. At that point the guide was nothing more than an overpaid driver and it was bad deal for everyone - my friend felt ripped off and the guide was embarrassed for essentially having to ask his hunter to teach him how to do his job.

I guess my point is that, if you do not feel that you can meet the requirements, don't take the job. Learning the ropes on someone else's dime and limited hunting time is simply unfair to them.

Another thing hit on above but that is more important than some realize is the job of psychologist, coach, and potentially cheerleader. Really good guides can read their hunter's moods and not let them get too high or low. Guides need to remain cool under pressure and help their clients do the same - keep a level head through blown stalks/misses and remain optimistic about the hunt when things are tough. I have had a couple of guides who got too excited in the heat of battle to my detriment and one who basically quit on me the last afternoon of the hunt. It ain't over 'til legal shooting light ends on the last day, all it takes is 1 animal, and that can happen really fast.

Marble

WKR
I've only been a client for fishing trips. My main complaint for that was being treated poorly. As in, the guide is arrogant and talks down to you like your an idiot.

My second was when a guide does not put in max effort for success. Succes means the client gets the most out of what they are looking for in the trip.

I've guided turkeys a lot, all for ages 12 to 16, new hunters. The one thing I have get a good grasp of for each hunter is their drive for success and what their abilities are.

I've found that having open and frank conversations during the entire process tends to keep things running very smoothly.

Oh,,,and be on time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I expect them to know the area and all about the game we will be hunting. And put 110% effort into everything to do with the experience.

svivian

WKR
Those references of “go the pace of the client”, should work both ways. On one particular hunt, I was 58 and my guide was 28. We got after elk, and I beat him to the top of the mountain, and had to wait on him. I let him have it. Also for elk guides, i want a guide that can bugle, and know when and when not to call. Not just walk around squeezing a Hoochie Mama. And the guide needs to be willing to send the bow hunter towards the animal, and the caller drop back. One guide insisted I not leave his side. Cost me a good bull. The hunter and the guide need to know each other’s capabilities and each other’s weaknesses, right off the bat. I mainly just want a guide to help me pack the animal out. I know what to do when it’s showtime.
Not picking on you or being negative towards what you are saying at all. But why not just pay someone to pack your elk out and save you some money?

Those references of “go the pace of the client”, should work both ways. On one particular hunt, I was 58 and my guide was 28. We got after elk, and I beat him to the top of the mountain, and had to wait on him. I let him have it. Also for elk guides, i want a guide that can bugle, and know when and when not to call. Not just walk around squeezing a Hoochie Mama. And the guide needs to be willing to send the bow hunter towards the animal, and the caller drop back. One guide insisted I not leave his side. Cost me a good bull. The hunter and the guide need to know each other’s capabilities and each other’s weaknesses, right off the bat. I mainly just want a guide to help me pack the animal out. I know what to do when it’s showtime.
then why dont you just hire a packer or bring a buddy who wants to pack your meat. whats the point of getting a guide if you know a area well enough to do everything on your own and just want a grunt to pack?

also i could go for a couple pirogues right now.

pirogue

WKR
then why dont you just hire a packer or bring a buddy who wants to pack your meat. whats the point of getting a guide if you know a area well enough to do everything on your own and just want a grunt to pack?

Didn’t say I knew the area. If I knew the area, it would be just packer only.

pirogue

WKR
Not picking on you or being negative towards what you are saying at all. But why not just pay someone to pack your elk out and save you some money?
Didn’t say I knew the area. I did not know the area. Just point out other things that make the ideal guide.

pirogue

WKR

Wouldn’t a hand hewn cypress, be nice?

svivian

WKR
I guess I asked based off your last two sentences but do understand your point about knowing an area. Thank you

I have the opportunity to do some guiding (Elk and Mule Deer mostly) this fall for an outfitter in Wyoming and possibly my home state of Utah.

I have been on a handful of outfitted trips before. Fly in fishing in Alaska, Bear hunting in Idaho, drop camps in Utah.

My question for all of you is what do you value and expect from a guide? I am hoping to view the comments and incorporate, where possible, the expectations into what I do.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
2 things.

1. A positive attitude no matter the circumstances to ensure a quality hunt.

2. Unwavering work ethic so the hunter feels they are getting a fair shake/ quality hunt.

dtrkyman

WKR
Early season Elk and particularly deer here in New Mexico, 14 plus hr days and hot, have fun not taking a brake mid day!

Got to stay fresh!

Making the hunt enjoyable is a huge priority, being a guide is like being a psychologist or a baby sitter! You really have to learn how to handle different personalities!

Knowing areas and animal behaviors are a must!

I have been thrown into situations pretty blind in regards to areas and it about make me sick, but as stated above keep that chit to yourself and figure it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1. A strong work ethic coupled with a desire to fill the tag.
2. Knowledge of the unit with permission to enter private land (if applicable) and access to game cams.
3. A positive mental attitude and aggressive hunter that will challenge me to keep up.
4. For some hunts, high quality calling skills.
5. Communication with others in the field for up to date info.
6. Decent photo taking skills.
7. Good honest communication skills...able to keep me informed on tactics and options.
8. A sense of humor.
9. Excellent dressing skills for game destined for taxidermist.
10. One shot opportunity during hunt. (Often possible but not always)

Mojave

WKR
I don't personally want to hunt with a woman guide. Nothing against them, just don't need the drama. Saying that there are female guides that are among the toughest people on the planet.

I also don't want to hunt with a guide that is a drunk, smoker, or druggie.

I am not overly religious, I don't want to join your religion or want to talk about religion.

I expect that all legal issues to be legal. Permits from the BLM, Forest Service, state, province whoever.

You need to be a people person. If you are a introvert, you need to be able to communicate, laugh, tell an odd joke, and have a good time. I don't need a Navy SEAL to take me hunting, I need someone who is easy to get a long with and wants to me to succeed.

If you are an extrovert you need to be able to not be "a clown" and calm down.

Someone who treats me like a client, isn't going to be someone I use again. The longer duration hunts this gets really important.

I have read things that guides have said where they know there isn't any "elk, deer, sable, brontosaurs" in an area but they try to get their dude out for a big walk. Because they think the guy will be a bad tipper, or can't shoot. This kind of behavior is inexecusable.

They need to know the area like the back of their hand.

They need to understand how wildlife uses an area, and what to look for.

WCB

WKR
I don't personally want to hunt with a woman guide. Nothing against them, just don't need the drama. Saying that there are female guides that are among the toughest people on the planet.

I also don't want to hunt with a guide that is a drunk, smoker, or druggie.

I am not overly religious, I don't want to join your religion or want to talk about religion.

I expect that all legal issues to be legal. Permits from the BLM, Forest Service, state, province whoever.

You need to be a people person. If you are a introvert, you need to be able to communicate, laugh, tell an odd joke, and have a good time. I don't need a Navy SEAL to take me hunting, I need someone who is easy to get a long with and wants to me to succeed.

If you are an extrovert you need to be able to not be "a clown" and calm down.

Someone who treats me like a client, isn't going to be someone I use again. The longer duration hunts this gets really important.

I have read things that guides have said where they know there isn't any "elk, deer, sable, brontosaurs" in an area but they try to get their dude out for a big walk. Because they think the guy will be a bad tipper, or can't shoot. This kind of behavior is inexecusable.

They need to know the area like the back of their hand.

They need to understand how wildlife uses an area, and what to look for.
A few of the guys I worked with guiding were more drama and bullshit than most women. And the 1 female we had at the outfit for a year was a harder worker than most. ZERO DRAMA from her and wanted to learn. You can't say "nothing against them" and then make comments/judgments againat them.

Also sounds like you dont want the best guide..."if you like to have fun you are only allowed my level of fun but if you are quiet you must be my friend"....you sound like a ton of fun.

Mojave

WKR
I actually can say that I don't want a female guide, and I have specified this every single time.

I have four daughters and a wife, and no sons. I have zero interest in spending my vacation days hunting with a woman I am not married to or the father of.

I wish my wife hunted, but it isn't for her. My daughters so far have not been interested in it.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my share of bad hunts along with good ones. A few keys for me are
1. It's not just a money gig. Make sure there are enough places and animals for the people in camp. If your camp can't support it don't take them.
2. Be honest and up front with the hunter. If it's a seasoned person we understand situations and appreciate the effort of you to make it right within your ability.
3. Don't nickel and dime your clients
4. Scout your area and know it well. I'm expecting that if I am paying good money that you will do the scouting in advance while I am back home working. It's hard for me to get away so I'm paying for that scouting.
5. Treat the client as you would want to be treated. Ask their expectations up front and you voice yours.

Mojave

WKR
I have had my share of bad hunts along with good ones. A few keys for me are
1. It's not just a money gig. Make sure there are enough places and animals for the people in camp. If your camp can't support it don't take them.
2. Be honest and up front with the hunter. If it's a seasoned person we understand situations and appreciate the effort of you to make it right within your ability.
3. Don't nickel and dime your clients
4. Scout your area and know it well. I'm expecting that if I am paying good money that you will do the scouting in advance while I am back home working. It's hard for me to get away so I'm paying for that scouting.
5. Treat the client as you would want to be treated. Ask their expectations up front and you voice yours.

I have had every one of these as an issue.

Good post!

elkyinzer

WKR
I think you have to ask and feel out each person because you're going to get wildly diverging thoughts. Some guys are gonna want you to do everything but pull the trigger for them. Me if I were to ever to go on a guided hunt it would be the bare minimum, help navigate the logistics and help me learn the area and stay the hell out of my way as far as the actual hunt.

I have gone on guided fishing trips and just treat my like I'm a regular old fishing buddy I can bait my own hook damnit. But plenty of people are expecting more.

Hunting buddies and business partners are just a couple steps below a spouse as far as compatibility goes, so I guess a guide is a little bit like a hooker you get what you get and hope for the best. You're the analogous hooker so ask your clients what they want and you'll get your tips!

Last edited:
Always have a back up plan no matter how good plan A was.

The client will know if they are just going through the motions if plan A failed and you don’t properly regroup.