What do you patch rather than replace?

2rocky

WKR
I have a pair of Sitka pants at the Cleaners getting a butt pocket sewn back on. They are so old they are still Mountain mimicry 1.0. There are a couple of holes I had sewn up a few years ago. Can't hardly tell they are there.

Yeah I know I can send 'em to Sitka, but this is quicker and costs about the same as the postage to mail 'em

Last Spring I had Badlands go through and fix some zippers and reinforce a few seams that got pulled loose on my Badlands 2200. It keeps going so I'll keep it.

I had a Woolrich wool shirt that I had patched up. Doesn't feel right elk hunting with out it...

Oh and that Thermorest Trekker...got a few holes patched and they seem to be holding. Good enough for the kids anyway.

Oh that WM Ultralite bag, got a Duct tape patch on its first trip. 4 years later, we're still good.

Yeah, there are things I won't patch...Socks and underwear for instance.

jljmonky

FNG
if it's less than $10 i generally don't fix it, exception being one of my son's toys... if it's more i will at least try. I even paid $65 to replace the lens on a watch I bought for $45 at an outlet store because I liked it that much. I always tote some heavy thread, duct tape, a few repair buckles and some SKABS tube patches (they come in a container like the old listerine melting strips and weigh nothing) along with my ibuprofen... Should be able to fix any of my stuff that way, including me.

_Nick_

WKR
If it's one of my spendy pieces of gear, it's getting sewn up. If it's less than say, $25, and past it's useful life, I'll let it go. My needle and thread has saved me lots of money over the years.

topher89

WKR
Just about anything over $20 and if it is less than that and easily fixed, that while get fixed too. I have a Golite down jacket that is more patch than jacket at this point.

It's too expensive to replace gear that can be easily fixed. And if you all allow me to go hippie for a moment (I went to CU) it is a waste a resources and a strain on the environment to replace fixable gear.

I don't have anything patched. I sell it for whatever I can get and buy a new one. Usually there is a new/better/lighter version I want anyway. Actually I don't keep many items long enough to wear them out because I want the new version. I may be tempted to patch a ripped bag or some clothing but my gear has held up well.

No I don't have much money to burn but I try to buy quality gear so I usually only replace an item or two a year.

Last edited: