What do you say to anti-hunters?

I have an absolute wingnut liberal sister-in-law. She loves meat, but detests hunting. We were at a burger joint once eating bison burgers. She said how much she loved meat but couldn't understand how I hunted. I said that she kills the animals herself... just with her checkbook. She said she never looked at it that way. I told her I just choose to know every step of the process my protein took along the way. It was the only time in my life I had a positive conversation with a liberal.

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
the ones i have encountered always have an animal product on their person or eat meat so i make fun of them for hiring a middle/hit man to do their deeds for them.

Mikido

WKR
I love to hunt. Many of my reasons fall in line with the meat eater crowd. BUT, let’s be honest with ourselves.

most of the reasons, people SAY they love to hunt, can be done without killing an animal. I can enjoy nature, observe animals, stalk animals, brave the wilderness, butcher whole pigs/calfs/lambs, spend time with family/friends, without actually killing something.

I think some of the real reasons, people are afraid to say. Most want the trophy on the wall to impress themselves/others. Many enjoy the thrill of taking life. Some want the overall experience to feel alive or feel like a “man”.

all of the above reasons applied to me at some point in my life.

I think we all have to be honest with ourselves. I watch some bow hunting channels on YouTube, and you always hear hunters saying “deer management” or “meat for the freezer” when shooting a doe. Come on, shooting 1 or 2 doe a year is doing something to the population? Or “freezer meat” is a justification for shooting a doe? Why not shoot a spike?

The anti-hunt crowd has their reasons as well, which are just as valid to them. There’s no right or wrong in life, just what you think is best. (Unless you believe in one of the books obviously)

flame on?

Rokbar

WKR
When hunting public land most hikers are just curious. But, the anti's are a different story. I try to avoid their mouthiness. But if so, I mention this is public, multiuse land. If they think I'm doing something wrong they need to call the authorities. Just call 911 and if you don't have the number i can give it to you! Pound sand anti!!!!!!

There are really very few "anti" hunters, but there are plenty who feel negativity toward hunting for both real and fictional reasons. As most here know, the percentage of the population in America per capita that hunts has been steadily decreasing. Fewer people hunt and fewer people know hunters. In conjunction with that, we have wider tv programming of "hunting" shows that I and many other hunters believe makes us as a group look bad, and those examples are promulgated by the real anti-hunters to influence others. Rinella has sought to show us in a truer and better light in contrast to the other type of programming we see out there, but most non-hunters don't watch his show.

I've sat down with many over the years who had negative views of hunting, and I can't think of one who has walked away without a changed perception. The meat eaters are 100% easy to influence, ask them where they get their meat. Then ask them if they are aware of what goes on in Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) and how that meat is raised and what is in it, and explain it to them. Wild Game Meat = freer & healthier and if possible is always a better way to get your meat. Everyone sees that, but for many, they could just not pull the trigger and kill an animal. Still, they accept and condone that I can. Even the vegetarians come away with a different view. I have been directing everyone to a great film by Ellen Frankenstein (not related to the Dr. <grin>) called Eating Alaska, and helped promote that project when it began because I saw it as a great way to better show what hunting is and why we hunt (https://www.newday.com/film/eating-alaska). It's about her, a vegetarian, moving to Alaska and falling in love with a man who hunts and fishes, and how it changed her entire view of how we exist in the place we each call home.

In the end, the best way to combat anti-hunting societal views is to get involved in hunter recruitment, retention, and reactivation efforts (R3) in your community. Maybe that's being a hunter ed instructor, maybe it's going to classrooms and giving a presentation, or joining an org that is doing those things. In my experience giving presentations to high schoolers, there is always at least one student who will come up afterwards wanting to learn more, wanting to know where to go to learn more. One step at a time.

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Depredation/animal population control/money hunters pump into the conservation efforts that actually drive the numbers up...

Unfortunately only people I know very well know that I hunt. Given the community I live in and the nature of the business I own I would lose many customers if I was open about my hunting activities.
The responsibility I have to my family and to my employees is more important than me being very visible about my hunting interests.
Any time I become engaged in a conversation with an anti hunter I am always respectful and provide sincere and thorough answers. If they are meat eaters or even eaters of chicken or fish and they are arrogant about their beliefs I will point out their hypocrisy. Killing is killing whether it is an ugly chicken or “cute” deer.
It is tempting with some of these people to be aggressive and rude but that is a no win for us. Ideally I want to live in a way where I influence people with my behavior and my respect for those with whom I have differences.

Squincher

WKR
True, hard core anti-hunters? I immediately drop my pants around my ankles and start screaming and sobbing about plant's rights. It does as much good as anything else, and keeps the conversation from going on too long.

Being respectful to someone with ideas you disagree with or anyone in general is rarely a bad thing. The idea of someone being against hunting isn't insane, just different. Unlike most of us on here, they're are many who have never been in the woods at all. The outdoors is often a handed down activity, as is a non-hunting lifestyle. We are viewed as the crazy ones if we get on vegan or anti-hunting forums. If all those folks see are some of the shows out there, it's no wonder they think hunting is shooting fish in a barrel, high fiving, and saying "smoked em". All you can do is give those folks your side of hunting and let them accept it or not. There are crazy people on every side of an issue. You can't change the mind of very many people regardless, once they get to a certain age, so often simply being civil is as good as you get. I think the best way to handle it, is to simply be nice to them and let them know that hunters are just normal people with a different hobby from theirs'.

I occasionally end up in a conversation with anti-hunters who "want to talk." Pretty rare in this part of the world, but last week it happened twice--once on my way back to my truck during bow season, and once at a chili feed at a friend of a friend's house.

What do YOU say to people when this happens to you? I'm not out to inflate my own ego or make someone feel stupid. I'd rather win hearts and minds.

Things I've said this time and in the past:
  1. "Well I didn't have any luck today, so I'm pretty sure the deer feel the same way you do." (humor)
  2. "I can tell you why I hunt and why hunting is important to me if you're interested. (individual vs stereotype)
  3. "What's your objection to hunting?" (showing respect by listening and also figuring out what to say in response)
  4. Try to surprise them with some relevant stats or observations about animal physiology
In my state (NH), I try to track the deer harvest and the number of permits issued. So if someone's objection is, "the poor helpless animals," I ask them to guess what percentage of deer hunters are successful every year. Most are surprised when it's below 18% (deer harvested/hunting licenses issued).

All of this is better than nothing, but I have no doubt there are better ways. Thoughts?
I get it from two sides from them. Being a hunter and a dairy farmer. I'm accountant sometimes pulls me into FB arguments with anti's. I will say this first off you have to see what type of person your dealing with. Someone that's on the fence about an issue can be reasonable,but one that is in bedded in there beliefs will never be changed. What I try to explain to them is many times dollars from hunting is why these animals are still here. I use Ducks Unlimited and the waterfowl stamp program as an example. Without that money to protect habit many of other species of birds would be gone now. The thing that passes off most Anti's is when we post pictures of our kills. I tell them some of us only try to share these memories with others that enjoy the same thing. I would say we as a group need to be more careful doing this. They look at it as us bragging and gloating about it. This definitely pushes them over the each. I know many of you are prostafers, or guides, outfitters using these pictures for promotional purposes, but make sure you post or show them in protective sites. Being in the livestock industry i know we walk a fine line with these people. I look at it this way. We don't need to add to their base. It will only hurt us.

I love to hunt. Many of my reasons fall in line with the meat eater crowd. BUT, let’s be honest with ourselves.

most of the reasons, people SAY they love to hunt, can be done without killing an animal. I can enjoy nature, observe animals, stalk animals, brave the wilderness, butcher whole pigs/calfs/lambs, spend time with family/friends, without actually killing something.

I think some of the real reasons, people are afraid to say. Most want the trophy on the wall to impress themselves/others. Many enjoy the thrill of taking life. Some want the overall experience to feel alive or feel like a “man”.

all of the above reasons applied to me at some point in my life.

I think we all have to be honest with ourselves. I watch some bow hunting channels on YouTube, and you always hear hunters saying “deer management” or “meat for the freezer” when shooting a doe. Come on, shooting 1 or 2 doe a year is doing something to the population? Or “freezer meat” is a justification for shooting a doe? Why not shoot a spike?

The anti-hunt crowd has their reasons as well, which are just as valid to them. There’s no right or wrong in life, just what you think is best. (Unless you believe in one of the books obviously)

flame on?
I'm not afraid to say it, I like shooting stuff. Targets, animals, jihadis, whatever.

Rich M

WKR
Nothing.

If folks have issues, it is their problem. Some folks can't be reasoned with - why bother going down that road?

Mind their own business. Learned long ago you can’t reason with them. When the SHTF I can feed myself and my family. I won’t be standing in a breadline fighting for scraps.

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Our North American wildlife conservation model is very unique compared to the rest of the world. We have public lands, no game is sold at market and habitat and conservation policies that hunting and fishing foot the bill for.
Also, almost all big game was on the verge of extinction 150 years ago in this country. Sportsman changed the landscape for the better.

Some people bring up African hunting, which is a whole different rabbit hole to go down.... but I remind them what we consider exotic animal at a zoo.... others see as a pest predator or source of food.

So many great points on this thread.

#1 for me I'd just keeping it cool and collected, regardless of what they say. They tend to just want to spout off anyway, and no matter what you say they aren't really going to hear it, so don't give the satisfaction of getting riled up.