What do you think about brandon Mcdonald

Started watching this guy on YouTube, anyone else seen his videos? What do you think; knows his stuff? He clearly has videography skills as his videos and editing is professional quality. Which is nice since so many other videos are painful to watch from bad audio to horrible picture angles or lighting issues, etc.

I'm newer to archery and always looking for good resources to learn more about it. But I keep finding John Dudley to be one the better resources. Properly tuned bow and practicing good archery form and consistency seems to be the building block regardless of whatever arrow build you go with.

Here's what I've summarized from watching Dudley, Ranch Fairy, other YouTube videos, talking with my bow shop and with other really good archers. The importance of having the best shot is as follows (ranked in order to complete):

1. Properly Tuned Bow (Center shot, knock, rest, sight, cams, timing, proper draw length and weight)
2. Proper shot execution (bow grip, form, anchor points, release and follow through, sight/peep acquisition, etc.)
3. Proper built arrow (correct spine for point weight, draw weight)
4. Paper Tune (macro tune step)
5. Knock Tune (micro tune step)
6. Broad head tune

So correct me if I'm wrong or missing something, but one should follow the steps above in order before confidence can be had in the 6th step? That is what I'm getting matters most in all the various archery tips...

Thanks
Jake

OR Archer

WKR
He’s just another YouTube guy with his own opinions on things just like most of us here. Not saying he’s right or wrong. He’s just stating his opinion on things.

As far as your list goes those are good basic tenants to go by. There’s obviously variations on each of those you can explore but those are the basics of a good archery set up.

Beendare

WKR
Bowhunting really is simple....good form with a tuned setup.....then develop your hunting skillsof course.

The Ranch Fairy Youtube sensations of the world like to make it more complex than it really is, stating you need a Man sized arrow, etc.

Ive never seen the guy you mentioned...but some of these other youtube sensations are doing it for the $$ and celebrity. They have to have an angle so to speak.

Yes we discect our equipment and discuss the minutia to the Nth degree on these forums. Sure, every little tip helps....but dont lose sight of the big picture.

——

Todd N

FNG
In general, yes follow those steps. I've taken many animals 30 years ago and never heard of paper tuning, nock tuning, etc. However I feel with the faster bows, trying to achieve good arrow flight is key if you are going to shoot fix blade heads at anything beyond 30 yards. Because its not hunting season, I tinker with arrow setups, bareshaft tune through paper and then out to 30 yards comparing fletched arrow to bareshaft (Looking for parallel shafts in the target). Have fun!

Hoot

WKR
I like your steps.

I take anything on youtube, or from the pro shop, or from Rokslide, with a grain of salt.

I like to tinker, and I like to figure out what works for me...

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
i like brandon mcdonald if he is the guy im thinking about that did a 6 bow review last year and then gave them away. He lost me a bit when he started talking about how to adjust your 3rd axis with your bow not drawn. This is exactly opposite of what tim gilliham talks about needing to be at full draw to check third axis on your bow. Made me put him into the catagory of neat to watch but isnt a tuning master like gilliham therefore his content lost some value to me as tech how to's.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
i like brandon mcdonald if he is the guy im thinking about that did a 6 bow review last year and then gave them away. He lost me a bit when he started talking about how to adjust your 3rd axis with your bow not drawn. This is exactly opposite of what tim gilliham talks about needing to be at full draw to check third axis on your bow. Made me put him into the catagory of neat to watch but isnt a tuning master like gilliham therefore his content lost some value to me as tech how to's.
Yeah most people are going to have to use some wacky 3rd Axis technique unless they have the Hamskea tool. Probably not much different than using a Bright Site tool. I suppose for the DIY guy it'll get them close. Brandon is an inquisitive guy I'm sure he'll be running plumb lines soon.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never heard of the guy. As for your list, IMO if #2 isn't used from the start, then the rest of the list won't be consistent either, and won't really matter. It's hard to tune if your grip and form is different every shot. For me, I start with #2 and then jump to #6 at 60 yards. Sometimes I might have to check #5 though if #6 isn't consistent. As for #3, I don't think the actual spine rating is as critical as most make it out to be, as long as the arrows within each spine rating are consistent. Several different spine ratings will tune to my bow with BH's.

Last edited:

ZDR

WKR
Seems like a nice guy who likes archery and wants to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He seems like an average archer with good video skills who is effective at sharing what he learns and the mistakes he makes along the way. I have picked up a thing or two from him...

Brendan

WKR
Never heard of Brandon.

Please - no more Ranch Fairy. He is for entertainment purposes only, or making you want to stab yourself... Depends on your point of view.

I put Gillingham over Dudley when it comes to attention to detail, but those two get my vote. Gillingham's Gold Tip University videos are very well done.

Bow shops are all over the place. Some that are great and know what they're doing, many who really, really don't.

Regarding your list: I personally never paper tune anymore, just bare shaft and BH Tune. Nock tuning is a big maybe - something you might need but I've never had to.

dkime

WKR
I don’t want to derail this thread but it blows my mind why no one ever seems to mention GRIV in this kind of stuff. Granted he’s more focused on target archery but that man will go down in the HOF for his contributions.

I don’t want to derail this thread but it blows my mind why no one ever seems to mention GRIV in this kind of stuff. Granted he’s more focused on target archery but that man will go down in the HOF for his contributions.

I was going to say Griv. Didn't want to derail it.

I really don't watch much, but I do like his stuff.

For those who hat don't know, look up archery learning center, thing a week.

ZDR

WKR
I never said he tried to. I just said I don't see a reason to put his opinion above the other two. Or in other words I would listen to Gillingham and Dudley instead if I was wanting the best information. This is just my opinion, if you disagree more power to you and zero hard feelings. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
one thing about Brandon Mc is he uses Dudleys school of nock as his foundation and seems to review it frequently to improve his shooting.

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
I like his stuff . Great production quality and he experiments and tries stuff out .
Was neat watching him follow the school of nock .

Reactions: ZDR