What do you use as your insulation layer?

Think September-October in the mountains of Montana bow hunting elk. I’ve always used a Sitka HW Hoody as my insulation layer, rain jacket over that if I’m still cold. Last year it snowed sideways for the better part of a day (early September) and I froze. I’m not a vest guy, but I was considering finding a puffy vest (hopefully with some wind blocking capabilities) or a light puffy with a wind blocking vest to help keep weight down and dexterity up. What do you use and have you had any good or bad experiences using vests in your insulation layer? Thanks!

Superdoo

WKR
I’m not a vest guy, but I know a thing or two about insulation.
If you’re using a wind stoping layer, you want it to be your outermost layer. Otherwise the wind cuts through the insulation and negates it’s value.
I’m not an archer, so the Sitka WS jacket is what I went with. It fits a little bulky, but depending on your build it might work for you.

406unltd

WKR
Snag a used kelvin lite hoody the sleeves are good for archery. Other than that I’d take a look at the kelvin active or kelvin active hoody.

Wapack

FNG
Mountain Hardware Kor Strata is the sheet! I've tried more than a few and so far its my favorite, you can get them in earth tones pretty cheap. Really lightweight synthetic. very breathable. Quiet and easy to draw in in. No pit zips though if that's important to you. For me if its cold and im stationary I run that, rain gear and a puffy over the top of everything. Its bomber. I've also run two lightweight synthetic puffy's and layer them as i need with rain gear and that works well too.

FL or minus 33 merino expedition base layers, FL obsidian merino ripstop pants, FL 150 gram aero lite top with the FL 250 gram merino zip jacket. This setup has changed names but it performs great in those conditions. Merino wool does an excellent job at maintaining your body temperature whether running ridges, stalking or still hunting and it homes in different weights. I’ll never change my setup for those conditions mentioned. As an archer I don’t wear vest or anything puffy for that matter. I don’t want any clothing impeding my draw cycle or release.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For archery season, most of the time I wear a thin microfleece mock-T between my merino base and camo. If/when the temps drop then I add a 300-weight fleece jacket. But haven't had to do that very often. Both those options are for "on the move" hunting. If for whatever reason I'm stationary and cold, then I can always go to my down puffy to stay warm until I'm ready to be on the move again.

Jethro

WKR
Sept elk, moving a alot and stopping a little, I like Kuiu Kenai. Its synthetic and quiet. If I need wind protection I'll put rain jacket or Mountain jacket over it. More stationary hunts I wear down puffy from Eddie Bauer. Don't really wear vests, so can't help you there.

OP
Browtinemt
Thanks for the replies. I’ve never heard of the kor strata so I’ll look it up. I love that cabelas microfleece mock-t for work. Do you ever have issues with moisture wearing that 300
weight fleece? Weight to warmth ratio is it better than synthetic? I like fleece but I think I prefer synthetic insulation’s and I know I like hoods so that’s where I’ve been looking...Kryptek lykos, Sitka kelvin lite, etc. I never thought to look at Kuiu so I’ll look up the Kenai too.

Datslab

FNG
Merino wool is your friend here. I have a finite amount of money I can spend on clothing so I look for deals and have always bought the highest percentage I can of merino wool and it’s suited me well through the years.