What do you use for a bow holder?

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
Question is in the title. Just curious what options are out there. I'm aware of the Bowsnatcher, Spider holder, and things like Marsupials' bow clip that goes on the harness. What you all found useful in terms of keeping your hands free while hiking, bugling and/or glassing, but keep your bow secured in a convenient, quick to grab location?

Shraggs

WKR
I just grabbed a threaded j hook from hardware store. I thread it through webbing up ward and then add a washer and nylon nut. The bow hangs from the d loop.

This works for stopping and standing while glassing or careful stalking.

For transportation hiking into area, draped to back of pack with a grab it

I have the Montana bow sling. It’s hands free which makes a huge difference while using binos and letting me use two trekking poles while crossing a river and hiking rough terrain. It comes with hooks or straps with cam-locks for more security.

The biggest pro/con is the flexibility in how you rig it. I hang my bow under my right side (I shoot right handed) although that position is not the best for quick access (in my opinion you can’t realistically jump shoot a deer with a bow anyways). There is no “right way” to set it up so you have to tinker with it until you find what works for you.

Holocene

WKR
I carry it in hand almost always. If I fall, I tend to naturally lift the bow out of harms way. If it’s strapped to me or my pack, can’t do that.

For glassing, I set it somewhere safe or sometimes hang the d loop from my AGC bino harness, which closes in a u-shaped metal hoop. This always seems lazy, so I might use the hardware store trick Shraggs mentioned.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Usually in my hand, but when I’m glassing I made a bow hook out of some 1” flat aluminum.
Made it to slide into to Molle on my belt and sewed a sleeve from matching camo to protect the bow. Works like a charm and I’m not hanging it by the string.

ZDR

WKR
Bowhitch is the best Ive tried so far. Keeps your bow close while glassing and is great while hiking.

bswanson2

FNG
Can't speak from experience. I have solely just carried my bow. However, a friend used a Spider for his bow elk hunting and loved it. Personally, I think having the bow at my side is best. Then it is at the ready. Makes me interested in the Bow Hitch or Jakt sling.

I'd like to hear some real world reviews on the bow spider - I like the looks of it but I have heard it's extremely difficult to remove the bow at times. That bow hitch looks pretty neat but it looks like it would be flopping around a lot...

D S 319

WKR
I got the bow spider really haven’t perfected it yet though. My buddy was able to get his to work somewhat, once in awhile would need someone to put it in for him. Definitely comes down to the pack I think.. I typically throw it over my neck and haven’t had any issues with it except. Ordered a Sitka bow sling to just help protect the strings to try and preserve some life.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I tried a bow sling once. I even shot an elk after taking it off my bow and dropping it to the ground. Then I proceeded on to the elk and later realized that I left the sling where I shot from. I haven't used a sling since. I don't mind carrying my bow in my hand, I normally carry it by the string.......all day, every day while I'm hunting. If I stop, I might lay it down or against a tree. If I need to use my bino's, I'll use my top bow cam to steady them. I can also strap the bow to my pack if I'm not actively hunting.......like packing in the day before the season starts.

GotDraw?

WKR
I'd like to hear some real world reviews on the bow spider - I like the looks of it but I have heard it's extremely difficult to remove the bow at times. That bow hitch looks pretty neat but it looks like it would be flopping around a lot...
I really want to own a Bow Spider, but I don't see any way humanly possible that it will work on the back of fully loaded backpack. It would be a total bitch trying to put the bow connector back into the receiver.

I think this is also proven by the fact that every photo of a user with a backpack has a virtually empty/flat backpack.

If someone can prove otherwise, I'm all ears!

JL

was using the Cabelas bow sling in Montana and bow fell right out of it and careened down the slope for about 50 feet. Miraculously no damage to the bow and was shooting as it as before the fall. Carried my bow the rest of the time except strapped to pack after shooting hours or going through heavy brush. A buddy makes the attaching and detaching of the bow from the pack super quick. Buddy does use the bow spider and it works great. Will probably get one if I go back for bow season.

OP
A

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
I should've specified that I would mainly use it hunting the rain forest of western Oregon chasing Roosevelt's and blacktails. Something to hook my bow to while climbing over ferns, devil's club and old growth blow down, and something to hold it quickly while bugling and moving in on a bull.

Eastern Oregon and other western state hunting where things are more open hasn't been an issue, as I can normally see much farther if an animal is approaching or making a stalk, and just hold my bow or strap it to my pack if hiking a distance. Anyone who has ever hunted the Coast or Cascade jungle knows what I mean when you're hunting solo and you're coaxing a bull into a 10 yard frontal shot. The steady your bow, move a bit, bugle, bugle between your legs duck walk, rake, repeat, would be nice if I could quickly hang my bow from something while going through those motions.

I'm kind of leaning towards a bowsnatcher or spider. Not really keen on more straps hanging off my bow, since it's just that much more to get snagged on thick brush in those scenarios.

Thanks for the replies.