What do you use for a bow holder?

I've used something just like this for over 5 years now. I prefer carrying my bow in my hands, but as I age and the hiking gets harder, I like to have the bulk of the bow weight carried in this holster type set up. I still keep my right hand on bow to ensure it doesn't fall forward, but it really helps with the fatigue, and it is instantly available when needed.
81yskucDXNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Note: I am on my 2nd one in 5 years as I wore the first one out in 4. The covering came off and exposed the metal hook inside.

ZDR

WKR
I'd like to hear some real world reviews on the bow spider - I like the looks of it but I have heard it's extremely difficult to remove the bow at times. That bow hitch looks pretty neat but it looks like it would be flopping around a lot...
The bow hitch does not flop at all. You simply hook it to the strap, put your hand on the handle and walk, hike, whatever. Ive hiked some extremely rough terrain with it (Gila Wilderness) and the bow just rode by my side. You can adjust the length so its most comfortable for you. Glass with both hands and your bow is right by your side and so easy to disengage and be ready to shoot. its worth a try

Question is in the title. Just curious what options are out there. I'm aware of the Bowsnatcher, Spider holder, and things like Marsupials' bow clip that goes on the harness. What you all found useful in terms of keeping your hands free while hiking, bugling and/or glassing, but keep your bow secured in a convenient, quick to grab location?
i use a kifaru gun bearer if covering ground, and i have a third hand archery hip clip on the left side of my bino harness for glassing.

I should've specified that I would mainly use it hunting the rain forest of western Oregon chasing Roosevelt's and blacktails. Something to hook my bow to while climbing over ferns, devil's club and old growth blow down, and something to hold it quickly while bugling and moving in on a bull.

Eastern Oregon and other western state hunting where things are more open hasn't been an issue, as I can normally see much farther if an animal is approaching or making a stalk, and just hold my bow or strap it to my pack if hiking a distance. Anyone who has ever hunted the Coast or Cascade jungle knows what I mean when you're hunting solo and you're coaxing a bull into a 10 yard frontal shot. The steady your bow, move a bit, bugle, bugle between your legs duck walk, rake, repeat, would be nice if I could quickly hang my bow from something while going through those motions.

I'm kind of leaning towards a bowsnatcher or spider. Not really keen on more straps hanging off my bow, since it's just that much more to get snagged on thick brush in those scenarios.

Thanks for the replies.
that's why i like the kifaru gun bearer if not carrying my bow, because it's the only solution that the bow isn't constantly hung up in the brush like a spider or similar, it's under my left arm in the gun bearer and easy to weave through the brush. i just started using it late fall... i'm usually just carrying it by the string, but walking a few miles of gravel before light or after dark, or through the brush in the dark, the gun bearer is great.

the hip clip is a cheap must have for anyone who glasses or calls a lot... put it on your pack waist belt or bino harness, and it's a quick place to hang your bow without setting it down every time you stop, but it's not great for walking with your bow.

i always have a gun bearer on my pack anyways, and remembered seeing "where's bruce" post a picture in the past carrying his bow in the gun bearer, so i tried it and it's my favorite way to pack a bow hands free

This is how I use the hip clip on my bino harness

Attachments

• C52A4EEF-2758-4AA5-8EFC-74681ECE89AC.jpeg
    C52A4EEF-2758-4AA5-8EFC-74681ECE89AC.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
OP
A

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
that's why i like the kifaru gun bearer if not carrying my bow, because it's the only solution that the bow isn't constantly hung up in the brush like a spider or similar, it's under my left arm in the gun bearer and easy to weave through the brush. i just started using it late fall... i'm usually just carrying it by the string, but walking a few miles of gravel before light or after dark, or through the brush in the dark, the gun bearer is great.

the hip clip is a cheap must have for anyone who glasses or calls a lot... put it on your pack waist belt or bino harness, and it's a quick place to hang your bow without setting it down every time you stop, but it's not great for walking with your bow.

i always have a gun bearer on my pack anyways, and remembered seeing "where's bruce" post a picture in the past carrying his bow in the gun bearer, so i tried it and it's my favorite way to pack a bow hands free

This is how I use the hip clip on my bino harness
I was hoping you might weigh-in since you know the struggle.

Vail94

FNG
I too use a bow sling when I do not have the bow strapped to my pack or carried by hand.

pirogue

WKR
If I’m just walking, I’ll carry it. If I stop to glass, I want to use both hands on the binos. So to avoid laying the bow on the ground, I made a holder for it, that’s cheap, lightweight, and low profile. I bought a key ring holder(one that slips over belt). I then removed the spring and clasp, ending up with a hook, and it’s easy to hang and remove my bow by the Dloop.

Button

WKR
Use an extreme mountain hunter tactical strap and ratchet it to the binocular bra/condom/chastity depending on which pronouns you go by.

Shameless chit post.