What do you use for meal planning?

NDGuy

WKR
I am just getting into meal planning as my body is starting to catch up with me and I can't eat the same stuff anymore. My wife and I have opposite schedules too making it so tempting to just make something quick or pick something up, leading to unhealthy choices.

What do you use to plan out your healthy meals? An app? Website? Trainer? DIY?

I am just looking for something to lay it out for me as to what I should be eating every week as well as not having to cook every day. I plan on cooking big batches at once eating leftovers.

I am looking to lose 15-20lbs this year and want to get ahead of it before my first child comes in July.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Anyone? Bueller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
App wise My fitness pal is pretty hard to beat. Fill out your plan for the next day the night before, so you know exactly what calories your getting with x amount of food. Pre cook as much as you can and pack a days worth in a cooler so it's always with you. Food wise I just keep it as simple as I can... wild game with an occasional chicken breast, vegetables, small amounts of rice/sweet potatoes, quest bars, eggs and my weakness is peanut/almond butter so I work that in. Drink a ton of water. Get a drink mix of some kind (no sugar, no calories) to flavor the water so you'll want to drink it. I usually drink 3ish Nalgene bottles a day of water (including during workouts). You guys should probably drink more like 4 a day.

I'm no nutrition or workout guru but I do know what works for me and makes things easy. Just make it a routine. Good luck.

Daniel_M

WKR
MyFitnessPal. Can't make a change until you know what you're eating every day. It's pretty accurate.

Calculate your daily TDEE, for weight loss drop 4-500 off that.

If you can, do fasted morning cardio. Eat 30 minutes afterwards. I usually have a protein shake/1c steel cut oats or a gainer shake good for ~350calories.

Don't be afraid of carbs, I'm on about 1.1gr protein per body weight, .4gr fat and the rest are carbs. For me that's a 45c/30p/25fat macros.

If using MyFitnessPal, don't track your cardio there and eat back it's suggested awesome meal award you get.

I picked up a 3-bay bento style lunch container. Perfect for a serving of carbs, veggies and protein. I think they were right around $11 for a 10pack.

I cook every Sunday. 2 big pans of Chicken, a pot of whole grain pasta or rice and a huge pan of either Normandy Blend or Stir Fry veggies.

Outside of that, I supplement in 2 snacks usually Natur Valley biscuits, almonds and protein shake.

It's a suckfest. Im burnt out on chicken thighs, but also can't spend 3-4 hours cooking either.

I started mid feb and am coming up to 20# loss, including a 26 day lazy hiatus due to early work schedules back to back and kids. I haven't lifted weights but I have been getting in some morning cardio and weekend backpack cardio.

Same as above, lots of water.

Good luck!

c89f072a322a1758136910456abee6a2.jpg

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks I'm going to check out that app. I know I am probably making it harder than it actually is I am just a guy that needs a schedule for stuff like this to help me keep track. Sounds like that app will help a bunch.

Daniel_M

WKR
Main thing is to keep it simple, don't put a ton of effort into it but at the same time try to think ahead on meeting your caloric goals.

Always have food on hand and eat every 2.5-3 hours. That'll motivate the metabolism. I eat about 6 meals a day, split even calorie-wise around 350cal.

Taper off the carbs, get most of them in before dinner. Almost no carbs for me after 7pm.

Here's a snapshot of a typical day for me. Right on the money.

mfp.jpg

Last edited: