What do you use

Just starting to go through my gear list, and wanted to know how much extra/unnecessary gear did you guys bring on your first DIY elk hunt?

I think I’m going to significantly reduce what I had originally planned to bring on the clothing side. Here are my thoughts on what clothing to bring for a 10 day hunt. 1 set of merino base layers, 5 pair of socks, 2 pair of pants, 1 mid weight top, 1 lightweight merino top my jetstream jacket, and a set of rain gear.

any thoughts, is this too bare bones or is this about right for what will actually be used in early September?

KurtR

WKR
rifle or archery? place and time of year are also big factors. No matter what every one says you are going to have to much shit . The first year i went i looked like the Clampetts going up the mountain

OP
M
It will be an archery hunt in Idaho. That’s what I’m hearing. Im sure it will take a few year to nail down a kit that works for me.

bsnedeker

WKR
For an archery hunt you are taking too much in my opinion.

2 pairs of socks. You can rinse a pair in a creek if they get bad, but they shouldn't.

1 pair of pants.

Drop the base layers completely...I've never used them in September.

Wapiti1

WKR
What kind of hunt? Backpack, base camp, base camp with spike camp? I take more for a basecamp hunt and the min for a true backpack hunt. 10 days is a long elk backpack trip.

For 10 days, base camp: 5 pair skivvies, 2 pairs hunting pants, 1 pair lounge pants, 1 pair town/travel pants (I have to hit town for gas and lunch at least once and don't like to wear camo to town, I have my reasons), 1 pair light long bottoms, 2 merino t-shirts in brown or green, 2 long sleeve baselayer shirts (camo, they are what I wear all the time), fleece vest or jacket, hard shell jacket, rain pants that I never use, 5 pairs of socks, 1 hoodie for around camp, slippers or tennies for around camp.

It's a base camp, I can wash socks, and always have a fluffy clean pair. It's the little things. Camp shoes, and a pair of sweats are nice if you have down time at camp. This all still fits in a medium duffle.

Backpack hunts are different and I lose most of this. 1 extra pair skivvies, 1 extra t-shirt, fleece/insulation, hard shell jacket, 1 pair light longies, 1 pair extra socks. I wear in pants, long sleeve baselayer, t-shirt, pair of socks. I still take camp shoes, but lose the rest.

Jeremy

OP
M
Great information and thanks to everyone for the insight. I’ve got a very rough game plan but definitely looking forward to ironing out the details and gear list.

kloppy

FNG
For most 1st time elk hunts, the rifle and bow are relatively useless.
LOL - in all seriousness you are probably good to go with the above suggestions. The days leading up to the trip you can check the 10-day forecast and get a very rough idea of what to expect. From there you can fine tune a little more.

coelk81

FNG
Always plan for the weather. Last year in sept there were plenty people who were not prepared for the 2+ ft of snow that was dropped in early sept. Although Oct/Nov usually have snow, still plan for the weather contingencies. planning for this works for all hunting seasons and states.

Spoonbill

WKR
You can always leave extra gear in your vehicle. That way if you hike out after a couple days to go somewhere else, you have clean socks, underwear etc to grab.

I'd splurge for the 2nd pair of pants. Just in case they get drenched, covered in mud or other stinky substance (remember you're battling the wind & their nose).
You could also snag them while crossing a log or barbed wire fence & rip them wide open. Don't ask me how I know this.
Throw in a light weight beanie too

Marble

WKR
I bring one of each category and 2 sets of socks and underwear.

Hunting in Idaho in September, I've had anywhere from lower 40 to low 20s at night. Daytime ranged from snow storms to 80 degree sunshine.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Elevation is huge. 1” of rain at 4000 ft often equals 12” of snow at 8000 ft. The weather forecast for Stanley calls for 40 degrees and 1/2” of rain over the weekend and the Mountains may be 20 degrees and 16” of snow. I always take enough gear to be comfortable in those conditions. I have seldom needed it ... but once we got snowed out of camp over a six day period and I was glad I had some warm dry stuff.
For backpacking I don’t take a lot of extra socks and skivvies just wash and dry your old ones when you change, unless you are hunting in a wet environment then I’d take one eExtra of each. working out of a base camp? Then take as much as your truck or trailer will hold.

a beanie is great advice... also good quality knee high gaiters.

rob86jeep

WKR
Always be prepared with an exit strategy when weather goes crazy on you. This archery season in Colorado dropped a few feet of snow in the mountains when the same mountains/time the year prior I was getting sunburned and sweating my butt off...

Fullfan

WKR
Agree about the weather in Idaho. Never know what your going to get. Remember to bring something to start a fire.