What do you wear under your waders?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
M looking to upgrade, in the past I just got stuff I could find on sale and for the past few seasons I’ve used marmot long johns that I got for cheap. I’d like to get something a bit thicker, like a mid weight type thing. The marmots I have been using definetly fall under the light weight category.

I don’t want to overthink this, just want something that will Lee me warm all night and while I’m drifting, not overheat me when I’m walking around, and something I could wear around camp.

Waders are simms g3, not looking for anything with zips on them, not looking for super heavy weight. Not brand loyal, just want a good set or two.

What are you all using?

M looking to upgrade, in the past I just got stuff I could find on sale and for the past few seasons I’ve used marmot long johns that I got for cheap. I’d like to get something a bit thicker, like a mid weight type thing. The marmots I have been using definetly fall under the light weight category.

I don’t want to overthink this, just want something that will Lee me warm all night and while I’m drifting, not overheat me when I’m walking around, and something I could wear around camp.

Waders are simms g3, not looking for anything with zips on them, not looking for super heavy weight. Not brand loyal, just want a good set or two.

What are you all using?

Love the Blackovis 200 3/4 length merino bottoms. 3/4 length helps keep my ankles from roasting with the socks, bootys, & boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Love the Blackovis 200 3/4 length merino bottoms. 3/4 length helps keep my ankles from roasting with the socks, bootys, & boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on, I’ll check those out, thanks! Good point on the ankle roasting. It’s easy to get too much layering down there from socks, layers etc.

What are you all using?
I camp out for 2 weeks duck hunting, so dry waders are important.
I wear a pair of neoprene hip boots inside my waders.
That way they are bone dry from the hips down to the boots.
I then turn the waders inside out when I get back to camp to dry out the damp upper section.
I turn the neoprene hip boots inside out and stick them in my sleeping bag to dry them out and
keep them warm for the next morning.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I have a pair of Merino wool pants with stirrups. Made by Duck Camp. Very comfortable and heat regulating.

Might be a little too warm for hot summer days but definitely ideal for colder days in waders.

Otherwise I like smartwool 150 weight base layers.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved

What are you all using?
I know that you and I enjoy similar outdoor adventures, so I'll share what works for me...

For late August thru September on 10-day floats I live in my UnderArmour bottoms. I've had a couple pairs of those for over ten years now, and they are my go-to's. I bought them before the 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 designations, and I think they were just called "cold weather". They fit very comfortably under my G-4's all day, and I'm never feeling over-heated that time of year nor constantly on the verge of being too cold.

There are those times when I need an additional layer under my waders. I've got a 3/4 length insulative layer with full-length leg zippers, so I can zip-on/off without removing my boots, which is pretty convenient...and I always put them on at the end of the day when I get out of my waders after making camp. The original production KUIU Kenai pants have been perfect for me, but they've changed to full length now. There are other alternatives out there, but seriously think about adding that layering option for fall floats up here (even though they have zippers...LOL). I'll bet you're already exploring those options.

The best to you!

Last edited:

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
Just like you I'm sure, it depends on the temps and how much I move around.

But something I got just a few years ago & really like, even when I'm moving around a lot is the Simms mid layer bib. Has stirrups so they don't bunch up too.