What does a poor guy wear to hunt the mountains?

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I made the mistake of buying a house just a few months before my first elk season. I've got other more crucial gear (pack, boots, etc.) I need to upgrade to get ready so I'll probably have to skimp on clothing. Since I don't have Sitka or First Lite money right now, What would you guys recommend? I tend to focus on "value" gear as I've never been a "top of the line" sort of guy. I also have no allegiance to any specific camo brand or pattern. Thanks in advance!

WyoElk

WKR
You likely already own enough cloths for your hunt. Sure, some of those tops names may make you more comfortable but it's really just made to catch your buddies. Don't be afraid to wear solids or stuff that isn't name brand. Cheap down and merino wool can be found and it still great gear that works just like everything else.

elkguide

WKR
I wear what ever that I have that keeps me dry, warm and is comfortable. I usually buy from the sale table. Until I was given a set of matching camo this last year, I never had any camo that matched. So to me if you can only buy just one thing, buy a good pair of boots.

Davebuech

WKR
Congrats on your new home.

What time of year/season will you be hunting and what elevations? I presume you are hunting CO? How long will your hunt be?

You don't necessarily need hunting specific clothes and camo patterns IMO are overrated. Heck I started hunting in Carhart's and cotton tees and killed plenty! Now, I hunt a lot in solid color earth tones that serve dual purposes. That being said, I also wear/own (prolly too much) camo. Archery season I wear at least a camo top. Synthetic fabrics or wool are always good choices. Prana, HellyHanson, Duofold, Under Armor, Kuhl, Patagonia, Minus 33 all work well. I'll bet an off brand fleece (Cabela's, LL Bean, Brand XX China) will work just as well as a Patagucci.

FlyGuy

WKR
keep an eye out on Ebay for used Sitka gear (that's what I do). With the new Sub-Alpine gear hitting the market this spring/summer there is bound to be a ton of used optifade open country items being listed soon.

Hit your local Eddie Bauer They have awesome deals on fleece and treated down right now
On top of that what Wyo Elk said is likely very true as well

cfdjay

WKR
You can absolutely wear the high end stuff for middle of the road prices. Hustle and look for the deals. Bargain shop and watch the classifieds. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just went through my hunting clothing and I have a few things that I probably won't ever wear again. All lightly used in good condition some of it is older First Lite stuff. Shoot me a PM and we can make a deal (very cheap) if your the right size. Kanab Pants, Merino Hoody and such in real tree. I have have a costco camo vest Id give up.

ljalberta

WKR
Costco

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Use whatever you have, just get out there. But if you are looking for the best value gear, it's gonna be hard to beat Costco. Merino tops/socks for under $20, down jackets for $30, and cheap, but excellent trekking poles. If you need rain gear, keep an eye out online for a set of Marmot Precips, they can often be had for 40%+ off. My wife found some pure merino layers at Value Village for under 5$ as well, which was quite a find.

GKPrice

Banned
wear what ever you have but LEAVE OUT the cotton and the jeans - My uncle lives in Sechelt BC, in the past I've had the privilege to hunt and fish with him and his buddies up in the "bush" - wool sweaters and wool pants are the norm and if I'd shown up there with Sitka or FL there would have been laughter and teasing to hell and back - I still love my old 100% wool cardigan and my woolrich wool pants, they are always in the duffel at hunting season - Darn Tough socks are not "expensive", THAT would be one luxury "I" would certainly endulge on

Don't rule out Goodwill. Especially being that your in Colorado, I would expect that over time you could find a fairly complete (albeit mismatched and non camo) clothing system for around $100 that would rival or beat any of the top hunting clothing manufacturers.

dotman

WKR
Camp isn't needed, find good deals on earth tones. Eddie Bauer has great sales all the time.

Trr15

WKR
Check out Sierra Trading Post. You can get some great deals on non-hunting specific outdoor apparel (mountain hardwear, marmot, etc). Although non of it is camo, you can often find hunting friendly solid colors. Their inventory changes regularly and they may or may not have what you're looking for but it's worth a look at least.

topher89

WKR
Deals on Steep and Cheap, eBay and forums are great if you aren't too picky and don't need camo.
I rifle hunt so camo is not a huge deal for me. I got a pair of dark grey Patagonia soft-shell pants off Steep and Cheap for 60% off three years ago, an orange Patagonia MicroPuff for $80. Merino wool base layers are always out there for good deals unless you need a certain camo pattern.

Biggest piece of advice is start now. If you can wait and watch, you can hit a great deal. If you give yourself month, you may be stuck forking out some big bucks

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Camofire has some good deals to be had sometimes so keep a eye out there

Gehri1tm

Lil-Rokslider
Go with what you have for short trips/weekend hunts. I'd watch camofire and sales like the tag soup ones and holidays for any deals to pick up pieces as you go.

bcimport

WKR
If you actually "need" something you don't have already I would hit up Glenn's Army surplus since you're in the Springs. He usually has lots of military fleece. Great stuff in earth tones and cheap.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord