What does and doesn’t make it into your grind pile?

TheCougar

WKR
I’m getting ready for my first attempt at burger grinding (elk and deer). I really want to get it right the first time. What does and doesn’t make it into your grind?

How clean are your trimmings? Please elaborate here on what is trash and what can be ground up... some silver skin and connective tissue? Pure meat trimmings only?

What kind of fat, in what form, and what percentage? I read a previous thread and I think I’m going to use a beef brisket in 15% mix, but I’m open to any other inputs. I’ve heard other guys use straight beef fat, some guys use bacon ends or pork butt, etc. I do plan on using some kind of fat in the grind, so I’m interested in what kind of fat you use, what form it comes in, and the percentage you use. I’m just going to make one universal grind for everything, so it needs to be versatile.

Do you grind once or twice? I’m using a LEM 3/4 grinder, btw.

I plan on using partially frozen meat as well.

Anything else a first-timer should know?

Last edited:

crich

WKR
I probably waste more than a lot of guys trimming for the grind pile because I trim the trimmings. I dont want anything but pure meat as long as its realistic. Some cuts have a ton of small membranes mixed into the seams and its really counter productive at that point. Only time I mix fat is for burgers. Cold smoke bacon and mix it in 5:1. Ill double grind any sausage or bacon burger stepping down a plate size the second grind as well.

Id say if your just getting started take a few pounds and experiment a bit to see what you like.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
We tight trim all our meat. Remove all connective tissue, silver skin, black bark, glands, fat etc from steak/roasts and all grind trim. If you would cut it off a steak to cook/eat, grinding it won’t make it better. Only real exception is internal seems on lower leg, but do best to remove bigger chunks/layers of the connective layers.

We add side pork and loin to make sausage and the cheapest fatty beef-70% burger, brisket, or boneless rib etc. we can find. We shoot for ~5% fat in our burger and mix pork 50/50 for sausage.

Experimented using small plate first when auger pulls partial frozen chunks through plate better and then the big plate second to aid in meat/seasoning mix. Worked well and will continue-opposite of normal practice.

We use a cottage cheese container for size ~1.5 lb and make a pile of them on butcher paper. Then make a stack of butcher paper and 18” clear food wrap. Can knock out the wrapping when prepped. Have kids label the packages. When wrapped this way ground meat lasts years.

We buy the 18” clear wrap and butcher paper at Costco.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve done 3 elk, an antelope, and a mule deer buck this year. First year doing it. I’ve saved over 1000 in processor fees!

Here are a couple of my thoughts...

I didn’t add any suet or fat. I like 100% venison. I work hard for that natural, organic meat and I don’t need to add something to it.

Im pretty meticulous about what I add to it. I try to get as much of the “white stuff” out as possible. It takes a lot of time and effort and I’m not sure if I’m wasting time and energy over doing it, but I want the best product I can get.

No need to partially freeze it. It’ll grind just fine. Also, no need to double grind. Grind 1x and package it up!

Don’t be afraid to take some of the better cuts too! I took the flank steaks and tri-tips off the elk this year! I’ll be trying my first tri-tip tonight! I can’t wait.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yep. Make sure every piece of dirt, hair, etc is removed. Also I didn’t mess around with anything funky. If it was questionable it got tossed.

sndmn11

WKR
Over the winter I buy rib and strip roasts on sale, cut into steaks, and seal for the year. In doing that, all my fat trimmings get sealed in 1lb packages in about 1"x1" cubes and that's the fat I use for burger. I put it in the fridge about a day beforehand and it is able to be cut into bars for grinding.

I trim all venison fat, silver skin, dirt, and connective tissue I can, but as said above, some silver and connective tissue stays behind.

We grind it all coarse 100%, seal some, add 10% fat and re-grind mainly to mix, and then take about half of that and grind fine. This gives us a good mix for the year.

wapitibob

WKR
I separate every muscle, if it's got a casing on it I flip it over and fillet that off like filleting a fish. Grind is muscle, shanks with the larger tendons cut out, very little fat left on the muscles.

I agree with most points all hair dirt black bark etc must be removed. I shoot for a 75/25 mix on my venison to kidney fat from butcher beef for burger and then elk I go 80/20 burger also as stated above 50/50 on all my sausage grinds for summer sausage German even fresh unless we’re doing bologna hotdogs then more 75/25 lean to pork as far as pork I usually go with pork butts bone in or out whatever I can find better prices. As far as silver skin and connective tissue and such dont be too picky it grinds and as long as your not throwing garbage into the mix it will be fine happy mixing man it’s part of the fun building all the goodies out of all your hard work then sharing with friends and family I also use the sausage as hunting bait. By that I’m mean I use it to give to the landowners as a present for the privilege of hunting their property 8E3BA982-5888-4A78-8795-C56761ECFC01.jpeg

UtahJimmy

WKR
Advice: If you spend too much time being picky about how much silver skin/sinew is in your grind, you may never want to do it yourself again.

Get the big/easy pieces out and grind it up. My "trash" pile is dehydrated for dog treats.

For sausage I do 30% pork shoulder from a butcher. I believe it's better than from the big grocer and I'm supporting a local business.

I also add 15% beef suet (also from local butcher) to meat destined to become a burger. Helps the meat stay together and not dry out quickly on the grill.

All other grind is straight game meat.

Put it through twice. First time at 3/16 plate, use a mixer to get good consistency, then second time at 1/8.

We like to use 1# servings we vacuum seal and squash flat. This helps us store them easily in boxes (usually do 3 grind, 3 sausage, 3 burger per box) and defrosts super fast.
66486b6d23ce1880a7bd97eed9eb705b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Run it through the grinder twice and you can get away with a lot more silverskin in it. I didn’t start doing this until I worked a stint at a butcher shop and even with a commercial grinder that you could easily grind a body with, all Grind went through twice.

The double grind is important large first down to your 1/8th inch for last knives and plates are important keep your meat cool it’s less snot like consistency cuts better I also like edible casings waltons is a good supplier and their caddie prices are decent

Michael54

WKR
Get yourself a blowtorch with a push button ignition. Use it to singe any hair off the meat. Just a quick pass with the torch will get any loose hairs on the meat off. Also i wouldnt put frozen meat through the grinder. Cold enough that its stiff. We trim as much fat/silverskin as reasonably possible without going insane trying to get it all.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I don't grind a high percentage of an animal because I braise and slow cook shanks (bone in) and I leave all connective tissue and silverskin on the shanks. If you saute onions in a cast iron pan, then braise the salted shank, deglaze the pan, and slow cook the shank and onions with something acidic like tomatoes or wine until it is fork tender, it is fantastic in tacos, burritos, bbq, served over potatoes, ect. The silverskin and tendons are gelatinous and good.

As far as trim from large muscle groups, I cut those up in chunks that can be used in stir fry, stew, tacos, ect.

So, in the end, I only grind the amount I think i will want for burgers and chili. I run it thru the small grinder plate once and am not at all concerned about silver skin. I will remove larger tendons in the rare event that I grind a shank. I do remove all fat.

Due to my wife's preference, unless I am making sausage in casings I usually don't add fat. When I add fat I call a butcher a couple of days before I need fat, I tell him what I am making, and he suggests the kind of fat.

Also, as others have said, I meticulously remove hair, dirt, glands, and anything that smells off.

Michael54

WKR
I don't grind a high percentage of an animal because I braise and slow cook shanks (bone in) and I leave all connective tissue and silverskin on the shanks. If you saute onions in a cast iron pan, then braise the salted shank, deglaze the pan, and slow cook the shank and onions with something acidic like tomatoes or wine until it is fork tender, it is fantastic in tacos, burritos, bbq, served over potatoes, ect. The silverskin and tendons are gelatinous and good.

As far as trim from large muscle groups, I cut those up in chunks that can be used in stir fry, stew, tacos, ect.

So, in the end, I only grind the amount I think i will want for burgers and chili. I run it thru the small grinder plate once and am not at all concerned about silver skin. I will remove larger tendons in the rare event that I grind a shank. I do remove all fat.

Due to my wife's preference, unless I am making sausage in casings I usually don't add fat. When I add fat I call a butcher a couple of days before I need fat, I tell him what I am making, and he suggests the kind of fat.

Also, as others have said, I meticulously remove hair, dirt, glands, and anything that smells off.
I really need to try shank. At my house everything that isnt backstrap or tenderloin ends up going through the grinder.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I really need to try shank. At my house everything that isnt backstrap or tenderloin ends up going through the grinder.
It really is good. Just make sure and cook it all day - like 8 or 10 hours. Also it saves a ton of processing time.

Poser

WKR
Ways to utilize your trim pile:

-Throw it in the stock pot (silverskin and all) to make stock.
- Dehydrate (uncured) for dog treats. The more silverskin, the more of a chew session.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
There are other cuts that make great steaks - eye of round is as good as backstrap, flatiron steaks are good, and top and bottom round make a good steak, but may require tenderizing with a meat et.