What does and doesn’t make it into your grind pile?

Lots of good input here. I started a 3rd pile this year. Grind, trash and now stock. Trash is fat and other stuff that I have no use for. Basically silver skin and bits of collagen laden stuff that I won’t grin. I throw it in a bag and then add it to the pot with the bones when I make stock.

If I get a nice fat deer late season I may try to render some tallow just for grins. I don’t care for the taste and texture but it might be interesting to try it once and see how it turns out and hat I can do with it.

Stickbow

FNG
If you keep the meat partially frozen that helps a lot. I also cut up any chunks of silver skin laden meat before grinding to help with this. For instance on shanks I'll cut across the silver skin on 1/2" strips to break up the pieces. Make sure the nut on the end of the grinder is very tight as that forces the blade up against the grinding plate and helps it slice tougher stuff.

Good info, thanks. Interesting that my grinder said to tighten, then loosen slightly to allow the blades to slide more easily. I need to be more diligent about cutting smaller and freezing. It just frustrates me to be hand cutting pieces smaller for the grinder. Its like rinsing plates before you put them in the dishwasher hah.

Pro953

WKR
For all of you shank grinders. Don’t do it!!! It’s so easy and delicious!
cba5eb055c2854b557cd101ae6cf804a.jpg

51dcdde422fe511a765b74dd047995a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remove all fat, gristle, and silverskin from ALL of my trimmings. My burger turns out pretty good.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I was pretty lazy with the last few shanks. I removed the larger tendons and just tossed everything else in, and never noticed the difference.

I was pretty lazy with the last few shanks. I removed the larger tendons and just tossed everything else in, and never noticed the difference.

Not lazy, that’s efficient. All I do anymore is chop off the very bottom of the shank where it is mostly tendon and rest goes into the grinder with no ill results.

I have been processing on my own a few years now and as posted above I probably discard more than some because I trim my trimmings but I have also never had anyone say anything bad about the meat they have ate that I processed

Will_m

WKR
Not lazy, that’s efficient. All I do anymore is chop off the very bottom of the shank where it is mostly tendon and rest goes into the grinder with no ill results.
You should try leaving the large tendon on if you are slow cooking. Turns into a big piece of gelatin. Pretty good and definitely unique.