What does everyone put under there sleeping pad?

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
Tyvek, but all the positive talk about the Matty from SO has me thinking I should give it a try.

j33

WKR
Since you’re in Canada go to Michael’s craft store and buy a $8 1/8” EVA foam. They have multiple thicknesses too if you want thicker ones. If you need a strip of Tyvek shoot me a PM and I can mail you a piece cut, got lots of leftover from a house build.

Last edited:
I use my foil space blanket. No idea what, if any benefit it adds besides being an extra layer of protection from debris poking into my sleeping pad. I would think it acts as a temperature barrier as well but I haven't researched it to see if it actually does. It is small, thin and doesn't retain water so its quick to dry and simple to pack.

OP
Dust1n

Dust1n

FNG
I walked into dollarama to find a $4 1/8” foam sleeping pad.

MSR NX1
Thermarest Parcep -7
Thermarest XTherm
1/8” Foam Pad
S2S Aeros Pillow

7.4lbs total

Attachments

• C9AAB256-482F-466C-B5A6-E0B0E1FC1DBE.jpeg
    C9AAB256-482F-466C-B5A6-E0B0E1FC1DBE.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 39
A cot if I can swing the weight. Seriously, a cot adds about 200% comfort!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Since you are using a pad, what exactly does the cot do, drop the middle down and curve in the sides? Would digging a curved channel in the shape of a cot under your tent do the same thing? :)

Smily face but absolutely serious question.

BBob

WKR
Since you are using a pad, what exactly does the cot do, drop the middle down and curve in the sides? Would digging a curved channel in the shape of a cot under your tent do the same thing? :)

Smily face but absolutely serious question.
I have an old Firm Handy Bed cot from the late 80's early 90's I use truck camping. The Handy Bed doesn't have head/foot rails so it doesn't do that annoying curve at your head and feet. It's where I think Helinox and others borrowed the design from. I throw a really old Thermarest 3/4" pad down first then top that with a Thermarest camprest and I end up with a super comfy flat bed that's pretty easy to setup. It is more comfy than just the Camprest for sure and you're up off the ground so it's easier getting in and out of. Throw it next to the truck with a tarp draped over the side of the truck over you and you're good to go.

Attachments

• Firm Handy Bed Cot.jpg
    Firm Handy Bed Cot.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 24
I have an old Firm Handy Bed cot from the late 80's early 90's I use truck camping. The Handy Bed doesn't have head/foot rails so it doesn't do that annoying curve at your head and feet. It's where I think Helinox and others borrowed the design from. I throw a really old Thermarest 3/4" pad down first then top that with a Thermarest camprest and I end up with a super comfy flat bed that's pretty easy to setup. It is more comfy than just the Camprest for sure and you're up off the ground so it's easier getting in and out of. Throw it next to the truck with a tarp draped over the side of the truck over you and you're good to go.

From the photos it does look like it's the sides curving upward that perhaps makes cots comfortable, plus a bit of "padding" due to fabric flex when you roll over.

BBob

WKR
From the photos it does look like it's the sides curving upward that perhaps makes cots comfortable, plus a bit of "padding" due to fabric flex when you roll over.
The Handy Bed design has springs that give and flex as you roll around and that probably helps comfort as well. I think the Helinox type mimics that with the flexible frame.

Backyard

WKR
I have a heavier emergency blanket/tarp (orange one side, foil other) that I carry all the time for emergency shelter/meat deboning etc. and at night I use it foil side up under my pad.
It weighs the same as an equal size tyvek sheet.