What does it take to be an upgrade from Nikon Monarch5

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Question - I have a pair of Nikon Monarch5s 10x42 about 10 yrs old. Great condition and they are my primary optic and suit me well. How far up the optic quality (ie price) ladder would I have to go to get a worth while improvement in optics quality? Curious what opinions are and or brand model recommendations. Primary use is hunting in Colorado for elk and muleys. Just to add more to the puzzle... the only other optic I have is a Maven S2 spotter 17-27x56 magnification. I know it's highly subjective question but something I've been pondering while enjoying mandatory vacation in puerto backyarda

Napperm4

WKR
Hard to answer such a subjective question. At one point in my optics arsenal I had a pair of Nikon Monarch 5 and they were awesome. My
Uncle still uses and loves them.

I’ve made my way up to EL’s now and much prefer them. Absolutely a worth while upgrade for me but I spend a lot more time behind glass now than when I used Nikon’s.

They were a great quick look optic for me. Something to grab or freehand glass for short terms while I was on the move. I didn’t find them as nice as others once i started spending hours behind a tripod and really picking animals a part vs just filling the freezer.

I tried a few, some better, some worse and settled on the Swaro EL’s because I found them the best for my uses. I really wanted to like the SLCs and the Nikon HG’s with the field flatteners but they didn’t work as well for me.

Razor HD’s were a nice upgrade from my Monarchs. They had a better view to my eye, they were more comfortable on my eyes and felt better in my hand. I think they were lighter.

So many factors to your question - are you looking for a better warranty, improved clarity, materials, FOV??

I always considered The Nikon Monarchs as a great, serviceable and underrated bino in its price point. Good bang for the buck in all categories.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have some nikon 8x42s that are maybe 15 years old and some newer vortex 10x42. There is no comparison, the vortex wins hands down. My wife has some nikon 8x32s and everytime I look through them.i think about how they need upgraded. But maybe its my eyes that need upgraded?:confused:

Wrench

WKR
I have the monarch 7's, meopta, tract toric schott, Swarovski, and just sold the nikon EDG's.

There is a difference between the 7's and everything I mentioned that is easy to see......but, I have 5 kids who like to ogle stuff with me and watching a 6 year old fiddle with a $2k pair of binos is a bit unsettling.

I can give them the 7's and they can beat on them and I just smile.

You're not missing a lot, but there certainly is a difference.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to answer such a subjective question. At one point in my optics arsenal I had a pair of Nikon Monarch 5 and they were awesome. My
Uncle still uses and loves them.

I’ve made my way up to EL’s now and much prefer them. Absolutely a worth while upgrade for me but I spend a lot more time behind glass now than when I used Nikon’s.

They were a great quick look optic for me. Something to grab or freehand glass for short terms while I was on the move. I didn’t find them as nice as others once i started spending hours behind a tripod and really picking animals a part vs just filling the freezer.

I tried a few, some better, some worse and settled on the Swaro EL’s because I found them the best for my uses. I really wanted to like the SLCs and the Nikon HG’s with the field flatteners but they didn’t work as well for me.

Razor HD’s were a nice upgrade from my Monarchs. They had a better view to my eye, they were more comfortable on my eyes and felt better in my hand. I think they were lighter.

So many factors to your question - are you looking for a better warranty, improved clarity, materials, FOV??

I always considered The Nikon Monarchs as a great, serviceable and underrated bino in its price point. Good bang for the buck in all categories.
Overall glass quality - low light, clarity, edge to edge - just curious on folks opinion of what a worthwhile upgrade would be to monarch 5 as I don't have the chance to get out in the field and try a bunch of different ones - maybe lowest price point that would give a justifiable reason to upgrade

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I have the monarch 7's, meopta, tract toric schott, Swarovski, and just sold the nikon EDG's.

There is a difference between the 7's and everything I mentioned that is easy to see......but, I have 5 kids who like to ogle stuff with me and watching a 6 year old fiddle with a $2k pair of binos is a bit unsettling.

I can give them the 7's and they can beat on them and I just smile.

You're not missing a lot, but there certainly is a difference.
I was thinking the same - if I upgrade at some point I can pass on the monarch 5s guilt free to my kids to use who are already doing pretty good spotting game with some cheap Bushnells

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Upgrade from a Monarch 7 would be, in no particular order, without getting into huge $$$

Athlon Optics Cronus 10x42 Binocular on sale, reduced from $499.99 to only $319.99

Leica Trinovid 10x42 HD Binocular - Black (Demo) reduced from 999.00 to only $879.99

Meopta MeoPro 10x42 HD #562550 call for RS pricing

Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 (Open Box * Same as NEW) reduced from $499.99 to only $349.99

Give a call, 516-217-1000, and we can discuss what would be best for you
Thanks don't have the money but it's fun to think about

Tahoe1305

WKR
I would say $900. I’d stay in same brand and get Nikon HGs. Can find used for $700 or so and new as low as $875.

Not sure there is anything better sub $1000.