What does your layering system look like?

Personally I think the FL Merino is the best on the market and I have tried the KUIU and Sitka, just didn't think it was as comfortable as the FL... Plus, FL's merino has been around longer than both the others...

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
. C4E Merino bottom & top
. Costco Merino socks
. Kuiu 250 Merino (if I need it.)
. Kuiu Guide or Attack pant depending on season
. Kuiu Super down
. Kuiu Guide jacket If I feel like ill need it for the hunt.
. Kuiu Gators (my favorite piece of gear)
. Rain Gear

rodney482

WKR
I notice most of you guys opt for the kuiu or FL merino. What's the advantage over Sitka merino, besides Sitka probably being a little more expensive?

IMO Firstlite has the most comfortable merino wool on the market...

TXCO

WKR
I take this system to every base camp or trailhead I go and then pack or dress accordingly to what I need and try to cut out quite a bit. Ive hunted from alaska to colorado to africa and I feel this system can get me through just about anything at this point, especially severe temp drops with the super down.

Kuiu 185 merino zip
Optional Boyt ~180 merino zip or Kuiu 230 zip or a thin fleece for an extra layer
Boyt- wind/water proof vest- I love vests. (its a little big and I think its similar to the guide vest which I may buy to replace it with)
Spindrift or superdown
Sitka Stormfront Jacket

Bottom
Kuiu attack/Sitka Timberline depending on the situation
Optional boyt ~180 merino bottoms
Stoic underwear
Superdown pants (untested in field)
Sitka Stormfront lite rain pants.

Misc
I have the kuiu beanies but am looking for something bigger and warmer that isnt cotton. I have the kuiu gloves and chilly grips but also like having a thin set and I just bring what I'll need based on the weather. I wear smartwool socks. I wear a thin poly ball cap at all times and will possibly buy the kuiu version when it comes for sale. I learned the hard way how easy it is to forget about cotton for small things like hats and having a wet and cold head is miserable.

I am going to buy a kuiu guide jacket this spring but will not pack it for early season mule deer and elk. Im looking at it for colder mornings when I need warmth/wind break but cant have the noise of the rain jacket. I will likely upgrade the rain pants at some point soon to something beyond the two layer SFL. Presently Im in quandry on what to do about the superdown pants as the only thing theyll fit under is the rain pants which if Im having to walk or sit or stand or wait out an animals while its cold on the mtns, Im worried theyll either get torn up or the rain pants will be too noisy.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
This is the layering system I use in Colorado that seems to work pretty well. I take off and put on as needed.
Smartwool 150 tee
Kuiu 185 1/4 zip tee
Kuiu 230 1/4 zip tee
Kuiu 185 base layer bottoms
Kuiu Attack Pants
Smartwool Light Hiker socks
Asolo Khumbu boots
Cabela's Space Rain
First assent puffy vest

Last edited:
My main clothes are a micro fleece from Cabela's, the shirt and pants are ok, but I hate the jacket. The fleece is actually very nice, it's low nap so doesn't collect burs so easily and is very quiet. I do need to find a replacement for the jacket as it is very heavy and the hood is horrible.

Base layer is Minus 33 merino wool, early season gets lightweight and cold weather gets medium weight.

Puffy coat and pants are KUIU super down. This stuff is really too warm for when I'm moving, it only comes out when I stop or it's really cold.

Shell layer is Westcomb eVent.

In north Idaho there isn't a whole lot of in between, it's either nice out or sucky, so when it's time for the shell layer, it usually stays on. The main problem of thick brush and it raining on you every time you touch something even though the rain quit.

We do have our nice days though and for that the shell stays in the pack, but I always have it with me, even on sunny days.

Hmm this got me thinking about that lousy jacket and the fact it needs to be replaced. :)

tstowater

WKR
Shell layer is Westcomb eVent.

In north Idaho there isn't a whole lot of in between, it's either nice out or sucky, so when it's time for the shell layer, it usually stays on. The main problem of thick brush and it raining on you every time you touch something even though the rain quit.

We do have our nice days though and for that the shell stays in the pack, but I always have it with me, even on sunny days.

Hmm this got me thinking about that lousy jacket and the fact it needs to be replaced. :)

What don't you like about the Westcomb shell layer?? From what I see, they make pretty good stuff.

Under Armor heat gear long sleeve or Patagonia capilene
Sitka Traverse
Kelvin jacket
Sitka Coldfront jacket

UA boxer briefs
Patagonia capilene
Sitka mountain pant or ascent pant
Kenetrek gaiters

I usually opt for the gore tex softshell because it's a really bomber waterproof coat that's quieter and seems to breath a little better than my Gore tex hardshell. but the softball is bulkier.

Last edited:

Jon Boy

WKR
For you budget guys russel quit selling the apx line so all of that gear is on clearance. I just picked up the l3 pants and jacket, and prima loft vest for 30 bucks a piece. They retailed for 120 before. Even at 120 a piece they were considered a bargain for quality gear that most considered just a step under sitka. Id buy the whole l4 and l5 lines if I had the money right now. Hunted with some of it last year and really enjoyed it, the stuff I just got is awesome.

KMT

WKR
-Smartwool base layer
-C4E switchback or marmot scree pants
-Kryptek soft shell jacket
-$2 emergency plastic poncho from Walmart (weighs about 1.5 oz) is always in my pack.

I hunt Colorado. So rain typically is not an issue.

If I know it's going to rain, I wear or pack mountain hardwear rain pants and take an REI brand eVent (Model starts with the letter K) rain jacket.

I usually carry a Eddie Bauer down hoody just in case I get I have to spend the night away from camp.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt turkey, deer, and hogs in Oklahoma and for the past two years, I've hunted elk in CO. This year I've applied for a semi-guided elk hunt in New Mexico. Most of the components of my layering system are relatively inexpensive but they work.
- Icebreaker lightweight boxers
- Smartwool base layer (light or medium weight depending on temps)
- GSX Core Jacket mid-layer
- Redhead Gore Tex Performance Shell Jacket or Arctic Shield H4 Jacket (depending on temp and weather)
- GSX Core Pants or LL Bean Gore Tex Upland Game Pants (my favorite pants for bird, deer and elk hunting)
- Smartwool hiking socks with liners
- Mountain Hardware Beanies (Dome Perignon or Micro Dome depending on weather)
- Gloves, I have a several pairs of lightweight gloves, but this year will try Red Steer Chilly's.

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Northwest Wyoming Late season elk/mulie:
Top:
Smart Wool Quarter Zip
FL Chama Hoody
FL Labrador Full Zip Sweater
Nano Puff (As needed)
Cabelas Wooltimate coat (As needed)
Kuiu Chugach (As needed)

Bottoms
Allegheny bottom