What does your pack weigh

5 days, weapon, food, clothes on back, harness, and camera gear sub 50#

Archery 5 day, weapon, food, clothes on back, harness, take out camera gear ~37#

Wapiti1

WKR
For 5 days, I can get it down to 36# with a simple tarp shelter. 38# if I take my pyramid with center pole. This includes food and my bow. No water. Add 1-1.5lbs per day for food. I don't pack a lot of food.

Jeremy

My pack is in the mid 40's for 7 day trip early mid september. I always have at least 1.5 liters of water, maybe more depending where I'm going. After mid September depending on the weather forecast. If im heading into a week of rain/snow have gaiters, full rain gear, some extra gloves ect. I never count my bow in the weight of my loaded back pack personally it is always in my hand.

62 lbs with everything I need for 7 days comfortably
54 lbs if I wanna be slightly hungry and less comfortable
I’ve been pretty close to those weights depending on where and when I’m hunting. I could probably get down below 50 if I did a few gear changes and left a few things at the truck. But why? I’ve been down below 50 and suffered a bit because of it and asked myself wtf do I do this to myself. I’ve asked the same question when I’ve went in at 60+ too. The answer is still the same.

“God I just love hunting elk with my bow”

You haven't been on very many back country hunts im guessing
Not all backcountry hunters are ounce counters. I’m one that doesn’t necessarily buy in to lighter is always better. For example I am not going to sacrifice my backpack weight (bulletproof Hoodlum pack) for an inferior lightweight pack. There’s 2, maybe 3 pounds right there. I’m not leaving my sidearm behind. Another 3 or 4 pounds. Not really sure what my .45 Shield weighs.

If hunting higher elevation in CO and the temps are colder? I’m taking my 0 degree bag and my insulated pad and slightly different base layers/clothing. I hate being cold so I will sacrifice the weight penalty. Conversely if I’m hunting the Gila in SW NM, I’ll have my 15 degree bag and un insulated pad.

I also take an extra headlamp and my old Garmin 60CSX with extra batteries for both, and my cellphone with the OnX app + my Garmin InReach. So there is a weight penalty.

I generally don’t use my binos in the stuff I hunt. They are in camp half the time. Another weight penalty on the way in and out.

if I’m doing a hybrid hunt, a truck camp and a backcountry camp, I take less in and can lighten the load that way too because I can hunt back and forth and restock when needed.

It’s all about what works for me and what I’m trying to get out of a hunt. Not about the prestige of going in with only 20 pounds on my back. ;)

Marble

WKR
I will come in right around 40#. Not including my bow, but it includes 1/2 gallon of water at times. There has been a few times where I ended up chasing elk on the way in and without the extra water I would have suffered pretty bad.

Three years ago I spent some money on a different pad, bag and tent and cut over 10 pounds off my pack weight. I was using really old gear, a 0 degree bag that was way too much 90% of the time and a shitty pad. My tent I still have but it was7.5 pounds lol. 3 man tent from Big 5 ...$29. Ive had it since 2002. Been all over with it. It even blew away into a pond in Colorado one time.

I needed/wanted better more comfortable stuff and between the three I think it was ~$850. It was well worth it for me.

If I'm hunting with someone else my pack will be a few pounds lighter because we will share the tent and cookware items.

And I always pack too much food...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Started weighing gear today. My base weight will be a little high since I will be packing a 3p tent and other gear for the kids

Huntnnw

WKR
really depends on weather. If I know it could be wet and cold then extra clothes are coming. If I am hunting open country to glass alot a tripod and spotter are coming. Most times with binos, pistol , bow and pack I am around 60 or so

My all-around season setup I think puts me around probably 45-55ish as well. There's a Kifaru cast on this where essentially your pack weight is always going to be the same (pack, optics, tripod, etc.), only thing changing weight from there is 1. water 2. how much food you're bringing/day

TNTBR

Lil-Rokslider
I seriously missed the mark as I just weighed in my full pack, food, rifle, ammo, optics, harness, water (everything as I was going to start hunting) and came in at 64lbs. Only way to cut from that is go to a tarp shelter, lower grade sleeping pad and start cutting items you roll the dice on not having if things go South.
40lb skin out weights ain't happening for me.

HNTR918

WKR
or a filter for water, stove to cook, clothes, shelter, binos,knives , game bags etc
2020 Season.
Colorado.
Rifle Elk.
6 days & 5 nights.
Packed in 3L of water.
Total weight = 38 lbs.
Doesn't include clothes worn for pack in and boots.

Sunbkpk

FNG
Light and mobile, I am at 45lbs. Last few years I was just over 50 as I knew I was not moving camp and packed more comfort items.

Me and two others went on a Colorado mule deer 2nd season hunt in october 2020 and we kept are packs under 53lbs. stayed 7 nights