What DSLR for a beginner?

TreyPound

FNG
You can get a new Nikon D3400 for $399. And that includes 18-55mm kit lens. That would make a great DSLR camera for beginner.

A little thought into what you want to do is helpful.
Some have better focus, others faster frames, some better video. Narrow that down and it'll help.
Lots of good experiences from 80d
If you can pick up a used 6d, the full frame is awesome! (you pay a weight penalty, but can handle much lower light)
Like anything, good glass is key.

Lastly, can you manage the weight? Mirrorless is much smaller and lighter. This often means easier to carry and therefore use.
No point getting a big DSLR, and hardly carrying it because of the bulk. (I'll often take DSLR or rifle, seldom both)

auggiedun

FNG
I do not have a specific recommendation. Most major brand cameras are gonna be beyond your ability to decipher between them as a beginner. In short, any of them would work.

Developing your skill/knowledge is going to improve your photos more than anything. You can take renowned photographers and give them crap equipment (within reason) and they would likely produce some great photos.

I would echo what has already been stated - spend the money on the lens. Kits are good for beginners, but if you stick with it, you will be wanting to upgrade the lens very soon.

KEH is a great online used camera store, and I have had great experience with them.
I like Ken Rockwell's reviews and he has been at it a long time - he is a straight shooter.

I agree with others that have said go with a used DSLR. I have been shooting with Canon for over 20 years but any of the big names will be just fine. A used T6i is going to have more features than you will be able to use for your first year figuring everything out anyway. Get a decent, low shutter count, used DSLR and put your money into glass. The kit lenses aren't worth much. I do a lot of my shooting with the Canon 70-200 f2.8. The f4 version would save some weight and some money. I would assume Nikon and others make similar quality lenses.

Or mirrorless...

My wife is starting to take more photos, for fun, and considering getting into editing and printing some of the better ones.

I figure it's a good excuse to get us a camera I can use to take pics on my scouting trips/hunts instead of my cell phone.

Have been doing some reading and Canon seems to be the ticket, with maybe a 18-85and a 55-250?

Could you guys throw out some suggestions on a decent new or used setup that I could stay hopefully under about $800 with...

Right now looking at used T6i's/T7i
We're both interested in the capabilities of DSLR and learning how to take better/more quality photos. You guys post some awesome stuff on here and it's really peaked our interest.

I also see the new mirrorless stuff say the Canon M50, which I may do some more reading on as well. For two beginners, would we appriciate one over the other more?

Pics will be of waterfowl in the pond, wildlife on hikes/scoyt trips hunts/pregnancy+baby pics/dogs, etc. Looking at this as a hobby and something we'd like to learn more about. Not just a nice camera to pic up and shoot in auto.

My one tip about buying mirrorless is make sure it has a viewfinder, either optical or digital. it is essential when shooting outside.