What DSLR for a beginner?

Vandy321

WKR
Or mirrorless...

My wife is starting to take more photos, for fun, and considering getting into editing and printing some of the better ones.

I figure it's a good excuse to get us a camera I can use to take pics on my scouting trips/hunts instead of my cell phone.

Have been doing some reading and Canon seems to be the ticket, with maybe a 18-85and a 55-250?

Could you guys throw out some suggestions on a decent new or used setup that I could stay hopefully under about $800 with...

Right now looking at used T6i's/T7i
We're both interested in the capabilities of DSLR and learning how to take better/more quality photos. You guys post some awesome stuff on here and it's really peaked our interest.

I also see the new mirrorless stuff say the Canon M50, which I may do some more reading on as well. For two beginners, would we appriciate one over the other more?

Pics will be of waterfowl in the pond, wildlife on hikes/scoyt trips hunts/pregnancy+baby pics/dogs, etc. Looking at this as a hobby and something we'd like to learn more about. Not just a nice camera to pic up and shoot in auto.

Last edited:
The market is going mirrorless. he Canon M50 is a great camera, as are the Sony and Olympus. There are advantages of each. Happy to discuss with you.
I would strongly suggest to stay away from entry level traditional DSLR

Give me a call. I am in Monday from 9-5, Tuesday 9-6

My $.02 is to look for an older D-SLR in the 6-10 MP range you can pick up cheaply, and spend the money saved on good lenses and possibly group photo lessons...
....glass matters more than which body, and light matters most of all!

Following photos all taken with a Nikon D50 with cheap Sigma telephotos, and an old manual Super-Lentar wide angle I picked up for like $15:

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I do like the idea of saving some $$. It would be fun to take a class again, havent had a photography class since HS.

It's looking like a used (probably no warranty) T7i and a set of average glass....or there is a refurbished M50 with their 2 lens kit (havent got to reviews on that glass yet) with a 1 year warranty from Canon for $480..that might be hard to beat.

The weight savings is nice too. The Sony A6400 popped up in comparisons as well, but cant seen ti find that for better than $800 body only.

I do really like the wifi/bluetooth stuff as I know my wife wont always want to sit behind the computer and work on pics, the bluetooth upload function to phone is nice for saving to albums or posting to social media.

JungleJoe

FNG
Respect to other posters, but I got into my images more a few years ago and imo you are better buying some older dslr's, (possibly hacking them with magic lantern), acquiring good glass on your preferred platform. If you want to end up doing more video, head towards Sony, if you wana do photo, keep towards Canon. Learn Lightroom and other Adobe suite programs thru the University of You Tube and shoot any chance you get. Give your work away for free for now, but don't be afraid to watermark discretely for now. Contact me DM anytime for clarification amd questions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You can also get a postage stamp-sized card reader that plugs right into your phone on Ebay for about two bucks....

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
What are some reasons for a DSLR over the Mirrorless (t7i vs m50) battery life seems to be the main one and maybe a slightly larger body for a more comfortable grip. But packability and weight go to the mirrorless ans folks say the picture quality is the same...so is price. They both seem similar in functionality, touchscreen, etc. I do think I like the optical viewfinder of the t7i vs the oled on the m50.

Wheres the best place to find used DSLR's if I decide to go that route...not much on rokslide but every so often? Is a refurb body or lens a bad idea if trying $$ initially?

Mirrorless is taking over the industry. In a few years there will only be pro DSLR's, no entry level.

As a sponsor here we always take care of the members. Give me a call and I am sure you can get a new camera within your price range

jspradley

WKR
You can score a used T6 or Nikon 3500 body with a Nifty Fifty 50mm 1.8 for dirt cheap to learn on and take some awesome pics!

I do agree that mirrorless is the future though, don't overlook a used Fuji Xt-1 or Sony A6XXX series body too.

Either of those options will be well within your budget

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
You know what's great about the mirrorless craze? People are dumping their DSLR's for cheap. You can find some awesome used deals right now, especially if you're patient.

Are there camera forums with classifieds? I rarely see cameras posted on here.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I went mirrorless and got a Sony A6000 on sale at Best Buy awhile back, so far I've been wicked happy with it. It's lightweight and takes better photo's than I can, so I'm not complaining. I consider it an upgrade over the D3300 I had

Attachments

• Inca Dove.jpg
    Inca Dove.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Tree Lizard.jpg
    Tree Lizard.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 56

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve seen some good deals on Facebook and craigslist.
I’ve been shooting a T3i since they came out new. I keep telling myself I need a new camera, but the photos it takes, keeps me happy.

Watch Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, ebay. "Begin with the end in mind." So know which lenses you want to have. I kinda have a mishmash of lenses, bought and received as gifts. Had I to do it over again I'd have less lenses and therefore could have afforded nicer ones.

I personally like:
A fast wide-angle, could be zoom or prime and just crop. Good for night photography and general wide angle use.
A quality walking around lens. The Canon folks like the 24-105/f4 but there are competing lenses like 24-70/f2.8's.

And then I'd be picky after that depending what you want. Heck you might not even like the night stuff.

I missed out on some good Facebook deals because I wasn't fast enough to jump on a deal.

jac68984

FNG
Nothing wrong with the newer mirrorless options, but, as others have said, you can find some sweet deals on very good DSLRs right now. I’m a Canon guy (lens selection mostly). I travel with a 5D MKIV typically, but you can find lightly used 5D MKII for less than new entry level DSLR and mirrorless options. Super rugged, full frame, watertight (assuming its paired with a good lens), and stellar quality. Have have pro photographer friends that still run them regularly for paying work. Or the 7D (version 1) is great for wildlife (crop sensor so you get the feeling of a longer lens for reaching out to capture creatures at distance) and has nice autofocus features and quick frame rates. The 7D mkii is fantastic, but still pricey used since it’s the current model. I would not waste money on any of the entry or “prosumer” DSLRs. As a prior owner of one, I would also advise against the first version 6D for wildlife. It is stellar for landscape, portraits, and fine art/architecture. But the autofocus is weak and really annoying when trying to capture quick game. Craigslist is you friend. There is always a plethora of good options in my neck of the woods it seems.

And I agree that if you want to shoot a lot of video, Sony has better options (but you’ll have a very difficult time finding a decent selection of used glass as you would for Canon or Nikon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would stick with Sony, Canon, Nikon or Olympus
Their cameras and service are top notch. Fuji makes a great camera but not really designed for what most members here are looking for.
Tamron lenses are great if you shoot Canon or Nikon

I think Canon has a small price premium for what you get, compared to Nikon at least. But their easier to learn so it might be worth it. I just got a Sony yesterday (my other camera is a Canon) and the interface kinda sucks, much tougher to learn.