What else should I be doing?

midwestwi

FNG
I started training two weeks ago for a 1st Rifle hunt in Colorado in October. This is my first trip for elk.

What I am doing now is mostly hiking with a pack for distance thinking this will help me increase my stamina.

I started doing just a couple miles with 30 lbs and now I'm doing up to 6.5 miles at a time with 55 pounds.

On light days when I am short on time I'm still trying to get in 3 or 3.5 miles with 55 lbs.

I'm trying to take hikes that give me the most elevation gain. Hard to get a ton of elevation gain in my area but I can get around 500-650 on one route I do in that 3.5 miles.

Any tips or advice on what else I should be doing? How far should I take it with the weight?

So far it is going well and I know I won't be running up any mountains but I feel like I'm making gains in my fitness level.

ETA - I should have mentioned I cut out my sugars and halved my carb intake. Focusing on protein and healthy fats as much as possible. In two weeks I've dropped roughly 8-10 lbs.

Find some steeper hikes or just find some stairs somewhere with a moderately weighted pack. Just have to get those quadriceps used to grinding hard and deep up steep stuff. Walking up stairs at a stadium or something over and over would do it. Squats are good, don’t need to kill yourself, again, moderate weight and high reps. Everything else is extra.

There's a lot of things that you could do that would help to a greater extent than just pack hiking alone. As far as the "moderate weight and high reps" piece of advice; Strength plays a role in endurance and requires you to lift moderately heavy to HEAVY.
Take for example, the NFL combine's 225# Bench Press to failure test. The athlete who benches 405, as opposed to the athlete that benches 315, has a much higher probability of performing more repetitions on the 225# test. This plays a role in endurance in the following way:
The 225# is only 55% of the stronger athlete's 1RM strength.
The 225# is 71% of the weaker athlete's 1RM.
Deductively, you should be able to lift a weight that is 55% of your 1RM for more repetitions than a weight that is 71% of your 1RM.
Apply the same principle to leg strength and pack hiking and you've now gained more endurance by becoming stronger.
Weight loss is cool, and I don't know your diet specifics, but based on what you've said about halving CHO intake (which seems drastic), you might want to consider ramping those back up closer to and on your hunt if high performance is desired.
But yeah, I agree on the "don't kill yourself" part.

Last edited:

tjihrig

FNG
Sounds like your doing a lot right to me. I’d work in a lot of side hill into those hikes so those shin muscles don’t get smoked. Day 3 always seems to be the day my shins and hip flexors feel it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBHasler

WKR
I have struggled with this type of training, being from TX, vertical change is difficult to find. I hike 3-5 days a week almost all year long with weighted pack (30-40 lbs) and ramp up a bit in weight closer to season.
I am always shocked by muscle fatigue in the Mtns come season. I still haven’t figured it all out, but I suggest adding in squat and lunge work throughout training. This would be in addition to normal weighted hikes and/or climbing stairs. Weighted lunges or lunges with a weighted pack for high reps seems to be providing me the best results. This is easier on my knees/hips than heavier squats or leg sled gym work and it keeps me outside.
I’ve learned that just hiking/rucking even with plenty of weight isn’t sufficient - developing improved strength and strength endurance in the legs is necessary to enjoy climbing the Mtns. Best of luck

Slalomnorth

Lil-Rokslider
If you ever hit the gym deadlifts, kettlebell swings, and Turkish get ups do wonders for backpacking

I agree with what tjihrg said. When you’re hiking your hill, side hill a bunch.

And bulk up the weight. Bend those knees when coming down like you’re doing lunges to work your muscles more.

A buddy of mine who’s a trainer has sold me on the benefits of putting my pack on and doing “sit and hold squats”, holding in a low squat for ten seconds or so before raising up.

They suck.

Badseed

WKR
Make sure to add some leg stretching, especially for your achilles into your routine. If you arent able to get a lot of elevation on your hikes it is likely that your achilles tendon is tight which limits how easily your foot can adjust to steep incline. Once you start climbing uphill your achilles will start to stretch out and will get sore quickly. It is easy to incorporate routine achilles stretching into your daily routine and it will make a big difference once you start hitting the mountains.

Kiel

FNG
Cardio runs with elevated heart rate is what I like to do a long hunt is more of a cardiovascular workout rather than a lifting exercise 2cents

OP
M

midwestwi

FNG
Thanks everyone. I'm still hiking and trying to get as ready as I can, down from 240 to about 220. I didn't draw the tag I expected in the secondary draw so I'll be looking at an OTC hunt. Still excited.

Since you are limited in elevation gain I would look at this: HICT

You will likely find that your 600 or so ft of elevation gain in 3 miles will change to double that in 1 to 2 miles. The exercise I have attached wasnt written by me, I have no affiliation with the site, but I have been doing this as well as having my clients do this for a few years. It will raise your ability to make a lot of powerful steps up in the mountains. It will also take your cardio to another level if done right. You should also be doing HIIT 2 times a week to compensate for altitude and quick high level efforts.

Oscarhunt

FNG
If you have access to a stationary bike you can ramp up the resistance to simulate a strong hill climb. Lots of decent classes on YouTube geared around torque/power workouts.

OP
M

midwestwi

FNG
Had an unexpected setback from a vasectomy of all things so now on 45 days of doxycycline twice per day. About halfway thru that 45 days now. Hitting the treadmill in my garage at max incline and doing 1300-1500 vertical feet non stop at a pace of 2.5-3 mph with pack at about 40-45 lbs. Would hit the roads again but doctor said stay out of the sun due to the doxycycline. My legs have never been stronger at this point. Picked up a bear rifle tag so going out in sept to hunt/scout for a week and then will get an otc tag for elk during 2nd rifle. Going to see what kind of shape i’m in during the sept hunt and ramp up from there if needed!!

tjihrig

FNG
Had an unexpected setback from a vasectomy of all things so now on 45 days of doxycycline twice per day. About halfway thru that 45 days now. Hitting the treadmill in my garage at max incline and doing 1300-1500 vertical feet non stop at a pace of 2.5-3 mph with pack at about 40-45 lbs. Would hit the roads again but doctor said stay out of the sun due to the doxycycline. My legs have never been stronger at this point. Picked up a bear rifle tag so going out in sept to hunt/scout for a week and then will get an otc tag for elk during 2nd rifle. Going to see what kind of shape i’m in during the sept hunt and ramp up from there if needed!!

Man sorry to hear about that. I will throw this out for food for thought. A place I use to hunt has now blown up with a lot of hunting pressure and I’ve moved on to different areas because of that. One of the reasons I’ve moved on is not just hunting pressure, but also due to pre-scouting pressure. When you go out a week early to scout, keep in mind that you’ll want to be cautious about pushing elk out of areas you plan to hunt. One reason I left that area is guys were showing up a week ahead of time and looking for sign. They were walking all over the area without regard for wind and blowing through bedding areas and travel corridors that the elk traveled. One opening day the elk had moved on due to the pressure. Looking back it’s a mistake I have made in the past. Not to say that you would do this, but it’s something to think about. I tend to have better luck now scouting people as much as elk. I get my best start each year now my pouring over maps to find terrain that will hold elk, that people will be less likely to traffic.

OP
M

midwestwi

FNG
Man sorry to hear about that. I will throw this out for food for thought. A place I use to hunt has now blown up with a lot of hunting pressure and I’ve moved on to different areas because of that. One of the reasons I’ve moved on is not just hunting pressure, but also due to pre-scouting pressure. When you go out a week early to scout, keep in mind that you’ll want to be cautious about pushing elk out of areas you plan to hunt. One reason I left that area is guys were showing up a week ahead of time and looking for sign. They were walking all over the area without regard for wind and blowing through bedding areas and travel corridors that the elk traveled. One opening day the elk had moved on due to the pressure. Looking back it’s a mistake I have made in the past. Not to say that you would do this, but it’s something to think about. I tend to have better luck now scouting people as much as elk. I get my best start each year now my pouring over maps to find terrain that will hold elk, that people will be less likely to traffic.

I will definitely keep that in mind, i’m luckily not going into the area blind, guy i know aged out of hunting and he gave me his map and camp locations in unit 36. Going to take it slow and try to just use the binocs and spotting scope a lot if possible and not stir up the area much since i don’t want to screw around and blow it out for the muzzleloader hunters. This trip is basically a newbee going out to test some gear and learn about the mountains and hopefully a little about the animals.

Mountain biking can also be a great way to help build your endurance and strength especially if you can find great trails that take you up and down hills/mountains.