What ever happened to Tony Russ?

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve read several of Tony’s books and I know that he was pretty active in sheep hunting circles here in Alaska. I’ve seen several mentions of his website, but it seems to be gone. I was wondering what ever happened to Mr. Russ. I did a google search and didn’t come up with anything recent. I would guess he might have retired, and is keeping a lower profile, but I know that he was active as an artist so I would have thought that I might have found something.

Did he vanish to the lower 48?

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I cant link to his facebook on here but if I got the right guy..and I think I did he is Wasilla and he is mostly fishing lately

Don’t know about Tony but thoroughly enjoyed his sheep hunting books. His 171” Alaska Dall ram got bumped to P&Y #2 by a 174” Dall from the Yukon a decade ago.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Seems like he just got older and had enough fun sheep hunting. As far as I know he still lives here.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
About forty years ago an Alaska outfitter/guide offered the opinion that glacier hunting for sheep was a burn out game. He said sooner or later it will get you mentally or break you down physically, primarily the knees.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Any links to some of his books
No links but look for:

-sheep hunting in alaska
-sheep stalking in alaska
-bear hunting in alaska

I’m sure there’s more. I like sheep stalking better than sheep hunting because it has cool stories in it. The other book is like gewr and stuff.

Hey guys, I drew the archery sheep tag (ds140) this year and I’m wanting to get in some reading on the subject, as this will be my first time hunting sheep. I have “sheep hunting in alaska“ on hold at the local library , and will be adding “sheep stalking in alaska”. However, if anyone is interested in selling a copy of either of these books let me know. My google foo has turned up nothing.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions related to the subject I’ll take it.

Thanks

Edit: I found “sheep hunting in Alaska” on order now. Still looking for “sheep stalking in Alaska”.

Last edited:
OP
J

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Edit: I found “sheep hunting in Alaska” on order now. Still looking for “sheep stalking in Alaska”.
Sheep Stalking in Alaska is usually available online, but it looks like there aren't any currently available. It is worth finding, especially for a bowhunter.

Sheep Stalking in Alaska is usually available online, but it looks like there aren't any currently available. It is worth finding, especially for a bowhunter.

Thanks the “Alaska sheep hunting” book I thought I had found turned out to not be correct. I’m going to be hitting up a few smaller book stores here locally to try and find them. If not the library will work, just like being able to reference back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I drew the archery sheep tag (ds140) this year and I’m wanting to get in some reading on the subject, as this will be my first time hunting sheep. I have “sheep hunting in alaska“ on hold at the local library , and will be adding “sheep stalking in alaska”. However, if anyone is interested in selling a copy of either of these books let me know. My google foo has turned up nothing.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions related to the subject I’ll take it.

Thanks

You are welcome to borrow my copies if you'd like.

Rackmastr

WKR
Was going to suggest the same, but you're closer to OP... :)

I'm close to you in Southern BC (have a PO Box in Idaho actually). I've never read the 'stalking' book from Russ but if you'd ever oblige that offer let me know. Glad to meet up sometime in Idaho and loan you a sheep book or two in trade if interested.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks the “Alaska sheep hunting” book I thought I had found turned out to not be correct. I’m going to be hitting up a few smaller book stores here locally to try and find them. If not the library will work, just like being able to reference back.

eBay has sheep hunting alaska, they didn’t have sheep stalking alaska when I looked just now. If you really want to go crazy, get a set of rampages 123.

eBay has sheep hunting alaska, they didn’t have sheep stalking alaska when I looked just now. If you really want to go crazy, get a set of rampages 123.

Thanks for that suggestion, it has been added to the list of required reading.

Thanks for that suggestion, it has been added to the list of required reading.

Go to Lew's website and send him an email or call him and choose to pick up the books in person. 35 Rams, 14 of them over 40" and a good portion of them were taken from your hunt area. It will be the best $350 you can possibly spend for your hunt.