What eyepiece are you using on your ED50?

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
What eyepiece are you using on your ED50 and why do you like it?

So for hunting wouldn't the 13-40X be the best eyepiece option? Why do so many people like the 27X? Just picked one of these little scopes up after a long time thinking about it. Pretty sure I know where there is a 13-40X eyepiece, just have to decide. I will get a chance to use one next week for a while to help with my decision.

Thanks!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the MC2 13-40 eyepiece, and agree it is the best. In low light you can dial it down, and you get a little more reach on the top end.

Folks like the 27x wide because it is sharp and well corrected. But it isn't as versatile as the zoom.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
From what I read the 27X is a good digiscoping choice? Is it worth keeping along side of the 13-40x?

The 27x is not as good for digiscoping as the 16x DS eyepiece because the 27x has an exit pupil of under 2mm. The 27xW eyepiece is bet for maximizing image quality for observation.

OP
crazy_davey

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
So I was just told by the local Nikon dealer that these eyepieces are still being made(13-40 in particular), would you or anyone else know if this is actually true? I thought they were hard to find because they werent being made anymore. Others have also said that the Nikon plant was hit by that big tsunami and that is why these are hard to find.

Not really sure what is the truth, havent looked that hard either though...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
They are hard to find, in my experience. I do see them pop up once in a while. You might just see if that dealer can get one for you.

whaletail

FNG
I'm running the 13x30 on my ED50 as well. I love this little scope. I've had my eyes open for a 13x40 MCII as well. Very hard to find!

Also, I got the PhoneSkope iphone adapter for my ED50 last fall. Makes for a very compact and solid digiscoping option as well.

OP
crazy_davey

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
I am still being told that they are still making these eyepieces? I sent a email in to Nikon and will let you know what I get back from them. Might answer the question if they are still being made whay they are so hard to find...

Also thought I would mention this, I am borrowing one tomorrow with the 13-40 eyepiece, the owner told me that when he bought that eyepiece last fall he paid $500 Canadian for it. That is a bit hard to swallow for sure.(*EDIT* I guess by the looks of it the going rates are not far from that price.)

Last edited: