What features would you add to a tarp build?

What are some nice to have features in a tarp? Main purpose will be shade, wind block, and backup shelter for 1-2 people while I'm away from camp glassing.

Inspiration came from dukesilver's DST Tarp Clone thread.

My first thought is to add some type of pocket to the center pole reinforcements to hold the pole in place. Any thing else I should consider?

A pocket to keep a pole in place would be nice, especially in those spots where there are challenges to keeping the trekking pole vertical.
If shade is a major concern I would go with a darker fabric. this is the .66 membrane from ripstop and does provide shade but not as much as I'd like in direct sun.
GOPR3654.JPG

tdot

WKR
A second pocket at the 3/4 point of the ridge line. This allows for a beaked setup.

Mid height pullouts one each side.

OP
A
A second pocket at the 3/4 point of the ridge line. This allows for a beaked setup.

Mid height pullouts one each side.

Below is my drawing based on the DST dimensions. Are my "Point B" and "Point C" locations where you would put the 3/4 point ridge line pole reinforcements and guy line loops for pull outs?

mtnrunner- Good point on using dark material for shade. I already ordered coyote brown 1.1oz Silpoly from Dutchware, otherwise I might go for a dark green.

Edit- I had to correct my drawing to account for 58-60" of usable fabric width. The blue line represents the seam between both panels.
Tarp Plans.JPG

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Below is my drawing based on the DST dimensions. Are my "Point B" and "Point C" locations where you would put the 3/4 point ridge line pole reinforcements and guy line loops for pull outs?

mtnrunner- Good point on using dark material for shade. I already ordered coyote brown 1.1oz Silpoly from Dutchware, otherwise I might go for a dark green.

Edit- I had to correct my drawing to account for 58-60" of usable fabric width. The blue line represents the seam between both panels.
View attachment 187372

Personally, I would put the reinforcements for the 3/4 pole reinforcement along the seam, one division ahead of A.

I'd then put pullouts at one division ahead of C/D and one behind.

lukelalor

FNG
You might want to consider a slight catenary cut on the edges. It would not limit pitch options much, but would make a tight pitch much easier. This does add complexity to the project though.

Good luck!

Gage2

FNG
A pocket to keep a pole in place would be nice, especially in those spots where there are challenges to keeping the trekking pole vertical.
If shade is a major concern I would go with a darker fabric. this is the .66 membrane from ripstop and does provide shade but not as much as I'd like in direct sun.
View attachment 187261

I second the pocket 👍🏼

Copy the Mega Ogee tarp, the most versatile tarp ever created. I have one and it's unbeatable.

So many configurations...in this shot the front of the tarp is blocking high winds and driven snow while the backside is lifted up so I have a view. I consider storm doors are essential.

IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0271.jpg