What fire starter?

Vas soaked cotton balls in straws (picked up the idea here). I also have a Coghlans paraffin stick and some SOL Wet Fire (?) tablets. For flame I have a fire steel in my pocket and hooked to a belt loop at all times, a bic lighter wrapped in duct tape and some storm proof matches. I'll probably add a mini-bic to keep in my pocket. I've been trying to only use the fire steel for starting fires and lighting my stove. It's been working much better than I thought.

Steel wool is a great fire starter and will flame even if it's a little damp. Also, powdered coffee creamer is very flammable and can work in a pinch.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to use the mini bic but found it too small with cold stiff fingers, switched to normal size, remove child guard. Ferro rod, wet fire, fatwood stick.

Also think about what else is flammable in my pack. Chapstick, t.p. alcohol wipes, anti biotic cream.

My dryer lint is mostly poly and dog hair so its a no for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will say the way its shaping up this year my eyeglasses could start a fire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use Dryer Lint and Fatwood (Pine that is rich in Sap) for all my fires. I also only use a firesteel to start them. I learned along time ago to make fire the old fashion way with the firesteel. Ive played with friction fire a bit too but its alot more work to get a fire going.

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
I like Vaseline and cotton balls and a ferro rod. Speaking of Vaseline and cotton balls, the wife comes in and is talking to me while grabbing a pen from the desk and says " Vaseline and balls !?" What the heck are you reading!! Just Rokslide babe, just Rokslide. :D